A bit OT--servicing brakes

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
This doesn't fall under buying a safe family vehicle or crash tests, but it certainly is a safety feature, lol.

Dh's '04 Lexus needs a brake job in a bad way. He doesn't notice it so much because he drives it every day and is used to it, but I notice it when I drive it on the weekends. The brakes have a thump-thump-thump feel to them when you press the pedal (definitely not ABS, even though he has that feature) and I have to press the pedal pretty far down to engage them.

I know brakes are an easy job, but we don't know where to take them since it's a "Lexus." Do we take it to the dealer and pay out the wazoo or do we take it to a brake shop that only does brakes? Money is no object--it would be nice not to have to pay $200 more than we have to for the same job--but this is a safety feature we're talking about and some things don't have a price.

So, brake shop or dealer for brakes?

Thanks!

ADS

TheRealMacGyver

Well, I would do it myself, but I realize not everyone knows how. Brakes are pretty much foolproof to install, so as long as it is someone reputable, I would take it there. I would probably stay away from Lexus on this, since it is a basic repair. If the pedal is pulsing when you apply, that indicates the rotors are warped and they should be replaced too. Depending on miles, you may only need the front done. (The front brakes do about 78% of braking). You might just call a parts store and get a price on brake pads and rotors. Pads are usually offered in different grades (and price), so ask for a middle or high grade pad.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
My husband does ours as well, it is pretty easy from what he says but he can't do practically anything car related so I don't know if that is saying anything in reality. If you husband isn't the "car guy" type then I would just go to a well known brake place or a machanic that has a good reputaion in your area. No need to go to the Lexus dealer imo.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
One benefit of going with Lexus is that the job will probably be done right and you have some recourse if it isn't, without too much hassle.

If you go elsewhere, do so at a shop you trust or one recommended by a friend at least. If you use a chain shop like a Midas, Meineke or something, they may also have varying quality pads and they will upcharge from their special offers to get decent ones that are at least equivalent to the OEM Lexus parts. Their "lifetime" warranty setup is often the cheapest parts available and the warranty often covers parts {pads) only, which don't amount to much anyway. Just be sure to check the fine print.

If you were happy with your brakes before, the best bet might be to buy the OEM parts yourself from your dealer or at a discount Lexus online parts dealer. Then find an independent shop that will install them for you (and turn/replace the rotors if necessary) for less than what your dealer quoted you. You might also check local dealer's websites for coupon offers. Maybe you'll get lucky and find one with a brake special.

lovinwaves

I agree exactly with what everyone is saying. If you could swing the money then I would go directly to Lexus to have it done. Piece of mind, IMO. My parents own a Lexus and take it to the dealership for all the repairs, oil changes, etc.. (they had a bad experience once with a chain store, and so did I)

My DH put new Front and rear brakes (shoes & pads) on my Toyota 4Runner (which says alot since he is um...well...the office type LOL!). He replaced the brakes with "Wagner" brand.

southpawboston

^^^ agree with the above.

i do all my own work, but i use OEM parts. i used to shop around for the cheapest parts (and believe me, the national brake chains use the cheapest parts they can find), but i eventually found that the original parts are the best... they may cost more but sometimes not by much.

rotor warpage is very common and normal, and if this is the first time the brakes will have been worked on, they can probably get by just machining the rotors straight again, which can save a little money... the next time you have to have new brakes they will have to replace the rotors.

i don't know how much more lexus is from a regular toyota dealer in terms of parts cost and labor... many of the parts are shared with toyota and even have identical part numbers... but lexus may charge a premium for what they consider "premium" service... i don't know. i have heard they pay their techs relatively high wages, so they get the better, more experienced techs. those brake/muffler chains like meineke, midas, etc... some may be competent, but others are not... but they are known to pay very low wages, so they tend to get inexperienced techs... something worth considering.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
My husband does ours as well, it is pretty easy from what he says but he can't do practically anything car related so I don't know if that is saying anything in reality. If you husband isn't the "car guy" type then I would just go to a well known brake place or a machanic that has a good reputaion in your area. No need to go to the Lexus dealer imo.

woops I meant to say he CAN do anything car related...:doh:

southpawboston

yeah, we knew what you meant :)

and thanks to the admin who added my emoticons (and some from starlight i believe)!! :cool!: :sarcasitc-bow:

lovinwaves-- yeah, the DOH! emoticon is one of my faves!

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks, everyone! Dh is leaning toward taking it to a brake shop, but I've told him you suggested to upgrade the parts. I'd much rather take it to Lexus myself since I'd at least get a car to drive while it's in the shop, but oh well :shrug-shoulders: . I'm sure he could do it himself as well since he had a car he used to work on (just the engine tho), but our weekends have been so busy lately.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC