Day 1 of booster training

Holly

I let Hannah ride in our new Turbo Booster this afternoon. I want to get her used to it and make sure she can sit in it properly so when she has to use it w/ other people, I will know she's safe.

First off, why in the world do (some) people rush to put their kids into boosters? What a huge pain in the butt! It is SOOOOOO much harder and time consuming to buckle her in now! Maybe because we have 3 across so there is a seat so close to it, but the arm rest gets in the way too. She definitely can't buckle herself in and it's a pain for me to do it.

Second, she loved it and she wants to use it all the time. I've told my kids no booster riding until they are 5, and then it's only sometimes. No full time using a booster until they are 6. Abby wants to ride in it so bad, I am nowhere near ready to let her out of a harnessed seat even for a minute.

Thirdly, What a freakin pain, seriously! Is it only so bad when you have 3 seats across, or is it always a pain? Do any boosters have arm rests that flip up out of the way while you buckle, or have no arm rests like the old parkway? When was the last time the old parkways were manufactured?

I have to keep my promise to Hannah, but I am so not ready to do this full time starting next July! :eek:

DSC00558.jpg

ADS

christineka

Hannah sure looks like she enjoys the new seat! I'm letting my 5 yo ride in parkway when dd1 isn't in the van. It isn't too much of a pain because there are no arm rests in the way, but I have to buckle her. She can buckle herself into a 5 point. I had a ffing radian with outboard turbos in dh's car and boy was that a royal pain! That's why I don't have turboboosters anymore. It's a fine seat for putting in other people's vehicles (without 3 acrosses), though.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Yes, boosters in 3 across is a huge pain. We have a new PW SG and an old PW. I hate the PW SG. We simply cannot use it in our 3 across. The regular old PW is so awesome and I am still so sad that they stopped making it. I don't know if you have room for it, but the Monterey is pretty good next to the Radian. There is actually enough room for kids to reach their hand in between to buckle. I've never tried a TB. Our current 3 across (and we have a seriously tiny bench seat) is RN XT, old PW, Monterey. The PW SG doesn't even fit where the Monterey is now.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I think it's all boosters. We are booster training Mali as well, and she did great the first few rides, but as soon as the novelty wore off, she started wriggling and flopping around way more. So just be prepared to have a few little regressions before she 'gets it'. DD has asked to be RF again, so she's RF in my car and in the Turbo in DH's car which she rides in once or twice a week, for the 10 minute ride to school.

christineka

So is it just the Turbo that is the pain or is it all boosters that have arm rests?

I haven't had a lot of experience with different boosters, but from what I've known- it's boosters with arm rests that don't flip up. The bodyguard is fine because the arm rest/ belt lockoffs flip up. The parkway is great because there are no arm rests. The vivo worked better for us in a spot previously occupied by a turbo because the arm rests angled out, but still doesn't work in some positions. The harmony literider has very small "arm rests" (more like belt guides) that are very angled and so it works well, but it's a backless booster.

Holly

Also, this must be easier in cars that have rigid belt stalks, ours flops all over so I have to grab it and hold it still while I buckle making it even harder.

christineka

Also, this must be easier in cars that have rigid belt stalks, ours flops all over so I have to grab it and hold it still while I buckle making it even harder.

I've resorted to taping the belt stalk to the booster in one spot. Rigid belt stalks are a million times easier to buckle into, but not usually for installing radians.

Holly

What are the chances of being able to find an old parkway that still has some life left before expiration? When was the last time they were made?

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Yeah, boostering in a 3-across is a pain in the rear. That's why my DS was in a Radian until he turned 9 (he totally didn't mind being harnessed - actually preferred it). I suppose there must be some vehicles with large back seats that make it easy, but I sure haven't encountered them.

I have to keep my promise to Hannah, but I am so not ready to do this full time starting next July!

So don't! ;) Explain to her how very hard it is to get her in the booster and that she can use it when she rides alone with DH in the truck, but in the red car she has to stay harnessed. She's old enough to understand that. Heck, I had told DS that he could move to a booster full-time when he turned 8, but once I discovered that he could not buckle a booster in our 3-across at the time, which meant that I couldn't use the pickup lane at school (charter school, no buses, too far to walk), we both decided that harnessing would be better. Tell her that when she can buckle herself, she can use the booster full-time.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have Ems in a tight 3 across in a Turbo quite frequently. We leave it buckled, and she slides in and out under the lap portion. Of course that doesn't work until they don't need the belt locked for training purposes. ;)

tl01

I agree, putting in the seatbelt with a booster does take a long time. We have a pw and gettung the belt just right is a pain. I much prefer my harnessed seats.

I've resorted to taping the belt stalk to the booster in one spot. Rigid belt stalks are a million times easier to buckle into, but not usually for installing radians.

My low (almost flush with the seat) rigid stalks make for awesome one minute Radian installations.... Ffing and Rfing.

Holly

Are you trying to buckle it while the seatbelt is going under the armest? Don't. Buckle it however you can, and then route the belt through the right places under the armrests. That's how my kids do it, anyway.

Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow!

NannyMom

J is 7, and even he had trouble buckling the (old style) Parkway in their 3 across. So much so that Dad got irritated, and told A no more booster, just seatbelt. J could then buckle easier and faster.

I'd just leave her in the Radian as long as possible. Maybe by the time she outgrows it, there can be a better seat arrangement. Or, a new narrower booster ;)

Holly

Christine, assuming I can find an old style parkway around springtime, could I come over and try your parkway to see if it would work for us before I buy one from someone? If it's possible to come up w/ a good arrangment involving a booster for Hannah, I'd still like to let her switch full time when she is 6, but if it's going to be as obnoxious as this turbo, I'll keep her in the Radian longer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC