ERF question WWYD

U

Unregistered

My just turned 2 year old has hit 34.4 pounds - clothed and is 36-37 inches tall. I really want to keep him RF (at least in the primary car) but the closest thing to a reasonably priced seat was the sale at sears for the complete air. It seems to have tall harness slots - only goes to 50 pounds FF though but also states in the sticky thread of available seats that max RF height is 36 inches. Is this the same thing as the usual as long as they have 1 inch aove their head or different with this seat?

WWYD? Buy another seat or just give in and FF at 35 pounds???

ADS

selinajean

If it were me, I would buy a new seat if I could afford to. If I could absolutely not afford a new seat, I would congratulate myself on getting to 2yrs RF and then secure my son safely FF.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Honestly, I care more about the RF weight than the FF weight. Keep the child RF as long as you can as that's the safest way for them to travel. You can work out FF when it comes times to FF.

As for the 36", I know that's what the sticky says, but the online manual for Canada says 40". So, I'm unsure which is accurate. Have you read the actual manual for the seat to see what it says? Regardless, we have a ton of seats in Canada that say 32" for RF height limit and obviously that makes zero sense as kids reach that around 18 months and most are nowhere near the 30/35# weight limit on the seats that say that and are nowhere near outgrowing the seat by height. The main thing is, you want your child's head to be within the shell, so give them an inch leeway. Torso height differ on kids so one 40" kid could sit several inches higher than another 40" kid. If my options were to turn my child FF at a young age or exceed the RF height limit (as long as their head wasn't less than inch from the top of the shell or over the shell), I'd opt to keep them RF over the stated height limit.

What's your child's torso height? My DD is 39.5" inches and still has about 1.25" to grow in the My Ride (MR). So, your child is likely to have a few inches growth room in the MR. But, he's only 2 so having more height room would be better. Have you tried the Radian?

The Canadian Air Protect web site says 40" too http://airprotect.safety1st.com/can/eng/carseats.php
The Safety 1st® Complete Air™ Convertible Car Seat with Air Protect™ Side Impact Technology is perfect for infants rear-facing from 5-40 lbs. and 19"-40" and toddlers forward-facing from 22-50 lbs. and 34"-45".

along with the Canadian manual available for download http://airprotect.safety1st.com/can/eng/documents/CompleteAirInstallation.pdf (pages 12, 36 and 44 of the manual)

mommycat

Their website is wrong. (Yes, it's awful and embarrassing on their part.) Too many people here have confirmed the 36" limit for me to doubt it, unless they have changed it on newer models. Here's the Walmart.ca listing clearly showing 36":
http://www.walmart.ca/details?tabId=12&departmentId=235&lang=&assetId=62759
# Rear-facing for infants: birth to 1 year (5 – 40lbs and 19” – 36” in height)
# Forward-facing for toddlers: 1 to 4½ years (22 – 50lbs and 29” – 45” in height)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Their website is wrong. (Yes, it's awful and embarrassing on their part.) Too many people here have confirmed the 36" limit for me to doubt it, unless they have changed it on newer models. Here's the Walmart.ca listing clearly showing 36":
http://www.walmart.ca/details?tabId=12&departmentId=235&lang=&assetId=62759
But it's not only the web site, it's also the downloadable manual for Canadians stating 40" on three different pages. If their web site and online manual are incorrect, someone who has a printed manual that states 36" should contact them and get them to update the web site and online manual, or to correct the printed manual, whichever is wrong.

mommycat

I would think that someone has told them, but maybe not. The Canadian Britax website has a similar issue with the RA50, where it says 30lbs RF on the website when it very definitely says 53lbs in the stickers/manuals (the online manual is correct, though):
http://www.britax.ca/car-seats/roundabout-50

ETA they of course don't have an email contact on that website or I would have sent them a note just now. :(

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Got a response from Dorel, the limit is 36" and they are working on correcting the website info.
Right, because Canadian children average 4" shorter than U.S. children, so wouldn't want to give us the 40" height limit....:rolleyes:

(thanks for following up with Dorel though! :thumbsup:)

mommycat

Heh. I replied to the email they sent me and asked for the reasoning behind the height limit differences (and the standing height limits in general). I can't wait to see if and how they respond. Another 3 day wait?

U

Unregistered

Thanks for you rhelp following up on this ladies:) I guess I should cross it off my list...it is interesting that we are 4 in shorter here in Canada - must be the cold;)

ElaynesMom

Heh. I replied to the email they sent me and asked for the reasoning behind the height limit differences (and the standing height limits in general). I can't wait to see if and how they respond. Another 3 day wait?

I'll be interested to see what they say about the difference between the Canadian height limit and the US height limit. When the seat first came out I emailed them to tell them how disappointed I was with having such a low rf height limit on a seat with such a tall shell and rf weight limit, but never thought to ask about the different numbers between the 2 countries.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I would suspect the seat over-reclines on the old style test bench?

-Nicole.
If this is the case, would that mean the Marathon, older Radian, etc. over rotate at heights about 32" (stated RF height limit in the manual)? If that is true, then the height limits would actually mean something.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Some may, yes. Others may have the numerical height limit by default.

The reason we still recommend the 1" rule is because the old style bench does not accurately represent modern vehicle seats. I suppose if you were putting a Marathon rear-facing in a 1960s car with a rear bench, I would think twice about using it rear-facing beyond the height limit.

-Nicole.

mommycat

I thought the standards were weight based, and that the seats had to pass the test (not over-recline). How would they test for height and how it affects failure? Would they go to the trouble of designing different propotions test dummies than those used for the standard testing?

ETA and even if distributing the weight higher up the seat might cause it to over-recline, it would still make more sense to put a length of shell above head or sitting height limit on the seat.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The standards are dummy based... but there's also a fitment requirement--a child the height/weight given by the seat manufacturer should realistically be able to fit in the seat. If the dummy were smaller than that 40", and the seat only met the rotation allowance.. an inch taller would likely exceed, correct? Therefore a child an inch taller than the dummy may not realistically fit, within the guidelines?

I doubt we'll ever really KNOW.

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC