Daycares exempt from tether law?

selinajean

I was just sent this email and I don't know the answer. Are daycares exempt from car seat laws in BC? That seems ridiculous if they are transporting children.....that is their job! Why not do it correctly? :mad:

Are there any exceptions to using top tethers in Canada? A girlfriend of mine just dropped off her son at daycare and they're taking a field trip so she installed his Nautilus (he's JUST 4) but there was no top tether anchor. The daycare worker told her that because they are a daycare they didn't have to provide them. ??

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't know the exemptions off the top of my head, but I am sure that if a seat is being used it has to be used properly - including a top tether anchor.

That being said - and this isn't a dig at BC, but reflecting what I've been told the situation is like there... at least the daycare is having the parents provide seats.

Ideal? Definitely not. Legal? Most likely not. Preferable to no carseat and just using the seatbelt? Definitely (if that exemption is even there still, I'm pretty sure the exemption for non-parents transporting kids has been removed, but I'm not sure if daycares were under a separate exemption. I'm sure Nicole will be able to answer that part definitively.)

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Under the old law in BC, it would've been legal for the child to *not* use a seat and, rather, use the seatbelt.. but it still would've been illegal for the child to improperly use any carseat. Since the manual states that the tether is required, the tether is required. No exemptions in BC since the booster law came into place. Prior to the booster law, a child could be transported in a seatbelt as long as they were 20+lbs and not being transported by a parent or guardian. Daycare workers loved that exemption :(

-Nicole.

kattale

Is this a daycare facility, or a home daycare? Not sure if that makes a difference, but I'm curious.
In Ontario, we home daycare providers must transport children legally, according to the same laws as parents. (And I wouldn't be happy any other way!) But I don't know if the big facilities have to - I've seen some of them just rent a school-bus for all their tiny lightweight preschoolers.

melissainbc

kattale, I was the one who originally asked Selina about this. It is a daycare facility with a couple of 12 (or some other large number) passenger vans.

BTW, my friend did not send her son in the van. :)

Kat_Shoshin

Our daycare centre has correctly installed seats - they made an employee a tech and they believe they have to do so.

This is one of the reasons that daycare centres in our area use public transport (the bus) so that they don't have to worry about child seats.

mommycat

Have her ask to see the vans' manuals and check for top tether anchor locations. They may look different than in a smaller vehicle. The 15-pass van I commute on has what I have ASSUMED are top tethers in some positions, they are attached at the same location as the female buckle of the outboard pass side seatbelts, and look like a short (6"?) piece of webbing with a male metal buckle sewn on. Again, I am not 100% sure that these are the tethers or for which locations they can be used, and not all vans would have them, but it is worth it to check.

Ok, here's something. This is from the 2008 Chevrolet Express Owner's Manual.

Keeanh

Have her ask to see the vans' manuals and check for top tether anchor locations. They may look different than in a smaller vehicle. The 15-pass van I commute on has what I have ASSUMED are top tethers in some positions, they are attached at the same location as the female buckle of the outboard pass side seatbelts, and look like a short (6"?) piece of webbing with a male metal buckle sewn on. Again, I am not 100% sure that these are the tethers or for which locations they can be used, and not all vans would have them, but it is worth it to check.

Yes, that's right. That's the van we have. Here's my post that has a picture of where the tethers are generally found -- incorrectly pulled through to the front.
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1312829&postcount=14

melissainbc

I'm going to swing by the daycare today and see if we can figure anything out. I'd imagine that with it being summer now they'll be having more field trips. It would be nice if everyone was restrained correctly!

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC