frontier as booster with harness

U

Unregistered

my 13 year old son is autistic and just hit 80 pounds in the frontier. i tried to change him into booster mode but he refused to sit that way. he says the likes the pressure of the harness and the feeling of being restrained. my question for you all is would it be ok if i used the seat in booster mode but put him in the harness, buckled the harness and then buckled the seatbelt over him. it would do the same as just being in booster mode because the harness would tear out in a crash and then the belt would restrain him. right? if this is ok, how far over the limit would you go for being harnessed. 10 lbs? 20 lbs? 50 lb? really do not want to spend $300 for a frontier 85 for 5 lbs of use. open to other ideas but trying to keep the cost WAY down, preferably $65 or less. the other suggestion must have shoulder straps and a crotch strap(the part he likes most)

i know this sounds really weird but he is a wonderful person and i just want to make him happy.

thanks

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's ok if you feel comfortable using your son as a crash test dummy to find out. Which none of us would, as the worst case scenario is death.

If he cannot be boostered I'd look into special needs seats for him. I'm not an expert on the special needs seat, but I'd look at the Roosevelt or maybe the Traveller Plus.

Your son's shoulders are below the top harness height on the Frontier? If so, he's got a remarkably small torso, and either of the seats mentioned above would work for him.

There are also other vests or harnesses that you can use, but they don't have a crotch strap that I know of.

Hopefully someone else will chime in soon, but if he's 80 pounds you need to switch his Frontier to booster mode today. Or run the risk of not knowing how the seat will react and having him pay the consequences.

Wendy

urchin_grey

Another vote for the SN seat. You'd be taking a lot of chances keeping him in the harness. Also, are his shoulders below the top harness slot? It would be a very small 13yo that still fit in that seat by height.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Do your seatbelts lock at the shoulder, meaning can you pull them all the way out and they will lock as they retract in? If so, try locking the seatbelt once he is buckled in. He will have the tighter pressure/feeling of being restrained without the harness.

zactayaus

Do your seatbelts lock at the shoulder, meaning can you pull them all the way out and they will lock as they retract in? If so, try locking the seatbelt once he is buckled in. He will have the tighter pressure/feeling of being restrained without the harness.

This, and get a secureguard clip from Britax (it's basically a crotch strap that clips onto the lap portion of the seat belt.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

You can also call Britax and see if a SG clip could be bought for your Frontier. Should be able to. A locked seatbelt and a crotch strap may be all he needs.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

ok, i have just switched the seat into booster mode and locked the belt! he doesn't like it but says he can live with it. going online now to order the SG clip and i think that will work very well.

thanks again for all of your help

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC