Seat for tiny full term baby (under 4 pounds)?

diaperjoys

This unborn baby is nearly full term already, but is TINY due to heart defects & likely chromosomal issues. The parents want to educate themselves about seat options so they won't have that to think about once this little babe is born in a few weeks.

Babies have to be 4 pounds to use the Chicco Key Fit, right? What if the baby is less than 4 pounds??

Thanks!

ADS

Maedze

Even if the baby is born under 4 pounds, it's not being discharged immediately, is it?

If the baby is that tiny and medically fragile with a potentially weak heart, a car bed might be the best option.

Otherwise, I might look at the Safety First Onboard Air Protect (the Babies R Us version).

diaperjoys

Even if the baby is born under 4 pounds, it's not being discharged immediately, is it?

If the baby is that tiny and medically fragile with a potentially weak heart, a car bed might be the best option.

Otherwise, I might look at the Safety First Onboard Air Protect (the Babies R Us version).

The baby is (so far) expected to go home right away. She'll need open heart surgery within the first year, but isn't expected to be unstable at birth.

The Safety First Onboard Air looks like a pretty nice seat! That brand isn't normally my first pick, but it just might be the best option here. What about car beds? Is there one particular kind that is better than another?

Maedze

Car beds are really a last resort sort of thing.

If she uses the On Board and the baby is under 4 pounds, it's technically misuse. However, I'm more concerned about the harness being fitted correctly (straps not falling off the shoulders, straps at or under the shoulders, harness able to be tightened all the way down).

My main concern is that if she is that tiny and also has a weak heart, that she might desat really easily in an infant carrier. I am sure the hospital will do a car seat challenge before the baby is discharged.

If I were the parents, I would purchase either the Onboard35 Air Protect or the Chicco Keyfit, and be prepared that my baby might not pass the challenge in the nursery, at which point she'll have to rent, borrow or buy a car bed.

To put it bluntly, car beds are not ideal in terms of car seat safety. They don't offer anywhere near the protection of a rear facing infant seat or convertible. They should only be used if using a traditional seat is an actual danger to the baby's safety, and then only as long as absolutely necessary, minimizing car trips to ones that can't be avoided.

I believe only two car beds are currently being manufactured...the Cosco Dreamride and the Angel Guard car bed. I don't know that one is 'better' than another.

Merritt (the company that makes the huge special-needs forward facing seat Roosevelt) is releasing a new car bed designed to accommodate bigger babies to 35 pounds. It's something she might want to look into if the baby doesn't show signs of passing the car seat challenge within the first few weeks. It's insanely expensive (800+) and probably something she could get medical insurance to cover if her medical insurance covers durable medically necessary goods.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
When is the baby due? The new Coccoro version will go from three pounds. And it'll fit a three pounder I bet. That padding is THICK and the bottom slots low.

Wendy

NVMBR02

She's 35 weeks now, and wanting to do her seat order very, very soon...when is the new Coccoro available?

I don't think the new Coccoro is expected until July.

Are the Combi infant seats rated low? I thought they were. I think the keyfit or the onboard35 are probably the best bets.

ETA: The Combi Shuttle33 is rated from birth (doesn't have a lower weight) I haven't seen it in person so I am not sure how well it will fit a tiny baby. I remember the older Combi infant seats had a lot of padding.

cookie123

A 3 lber may not go home right away whether there are heart issues or not.
With a baby that small there may be temperature and glucose issues, especially if it's born a few weeks early.

Where I work any baby less than 2500 grams (5lbs, 8 0s) earns a trip to Level II no matter what, where these things are managed as needed. Hopefully the baby would have a car seat test in light of the heart issues and size.

The baby could do great and go right home - or not. Do you know what the heart condition is?

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
At Lifesavers they said they were changing the infant insert and possibly other features for the 3# version (so it won't be retroactive).

I also believe that the Cocorro actually fits small babies better than the Shuttle 33 (lower slots or better infant padding).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC