Britax Frontier 85 Review: Summary of Changes

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I do-

The footprint is almost exactly the same, the same 19.5" width and a little deeper at about 19.75". The height is over an inch taller at 27.5". The lower shelf is actually a few inches shorter, though. I guess that helps since two boxes would stack and be shorter overall. Plus, it weighs a couple pounds less so that might help shipping, too.

ADS

horseymom

Yes and no. The actual "shell" is a bit wider at the cupholders, around 19.25" to the edge. On the other hand, that's actually narrower if you count the protrusion of the cupholders on the old model, even when they are retracted.

So, if it is the closed cupholders that are hitting the door, the new one might buy you a half inch or more. Otherwise, it might not help.

thanks Darren:) Sounds like it might fit better than the old FR:thumbsup:

Mommy0608

Is the interior width the same in both models? For example, are the measurements the same for the hip area, shoulder space, etc.? For some reason, in the side-by-side frontal photo in the blog, the new model looks a bit narrower. Maybe it's just deceiving since it's taller, I don't know. :shrug-shoulders:

amie815

What about the crack issues in the shell that so many people had with the original Frontier? That's one of my big concerns. Britax tried to brush it off saying they were fine, that it was from the mold. I don't know if anything ever came of that issue.

And, can you still do the long belt path install?

I am curious to know about the crack issues as well.

MPhalenS

Okay, so I think you just answered this, but I want to ask to make SURE I understand...
I just measured the GN and the OLD Frontier at the store yesterday to see which one was wider at its WIDEST Point ...
The Frontier was 1" NARROWER than the GN ...
SO, based on what you said above, the Frontier85 is 1/2" narrower than that?

THANKS!

Lemonade

Thanks for the review. We love our two existing FR but all the changes are definitely little things that would be nice. I would also like to see some non-mesh covers. I got my mesh covers replaced with Saharas and I'm happy with them. When my DD moves FF, I may get 2 more FRs but that won't be soon so maybe by then there will be more FR85 cover choices.

Regarding the Forester - my husband drives a 2003 Forester and the FR installs very well in it. Not sure if there were changes to the Forester between 2003 and 2007 that would change the install though for the poster who had an issue. We've even had it checked by safe kids and the install was perfect.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Is the interior width the same in both models? For example, are the measurements the same for the hip area, shoulder space, etc.? For some reason, in the side-by-side frontal photo in the blog, the new model looks a bit narrower. Maybe it's just deceiving since it's taller, I don't know. :shrug-shoulders:

The wings are slightly different, but the width in general seems to be about the same. I tried taking measurements but it doesn't work real well with the cover on and I didn't see much of a difference one way or another. Plus. it would also depend how high up you measure.

I am curious to know about the crack issues as well.

My photos are on this thread

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=117502

Okay, so I think you just answered this, but I want to ask to make SURE I understand...
I just measured the GN and the OLD Frontier at the store yesterday to see which one was wider at its WIDEST Point ...
The Frontier was 1" NARROWER than the GN ...
SO, based on what you said above, the Frontier85 is 1/2" narrower than that?

THANKS!

I measure the Frontier 85 at just under 19.5" wide at the cupholders (the wings are about the same at the widest point too). I measure the original Frontier to be just over 20" wide at the outside of the retracted cupholders. Of course, that is just a bump from the cupholders and might mesh differently with something next to it.

For anyone who missed it, the full review with photos including some more measurements is here : http://carseatblog.com/?p=5751

HEVY

I am about to order this and have a new worry. The regent is so wide and there is so much comfort room for my DD and the Frontier looks real narrow, especially with the new cup holders.

Darren I looked at the pic with your DD in it, she is 3 yrs older and 20lbs heavier than my DD so the fit now is not an issue, at your DD's age and weight I would still expect my DD to be in this seat but as a booster, it looks narrow and tight in the seat area, well in the whole seat in general, or is that just the angle?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC