Riding a bus w/a newborn

lilpenguin

Sorry if this has been asked before. I tried searching and came up with nothing.

I know that riding in a bus is MUCH safer than in a car, but if I'm planning to take public bus transport one evening w/my newborn, would it be okay to wear her in a sling? The ride will be about 30-40 minutes each way. Its pretty much a one time deal since where we need to go is much easier to get to on the bus than driving b/c parking is a PITA.

TIA!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I do it all the time with Laine. I try to sit on seats that face forward and have seats in front of them so we're contained in a collision. I wear her in a sling on my front, but I go back and forth between that being better (me slamming her into the seats in front of us) or if she'd be better off flying. I go with the sling. City buses generally on streets don't get up to highway speeds, so I guess I'm trusting in mommy instinct to clutch and make a cage around her.

Wendy

lilpenguin

I do it all the time with Laine. I try to sit on seats that face forward and have seats in front of them so we're contained in a collision. I wear her in a sling on my front, but I go back and forth between that being better (me slamming her into the seats in front of us) or if she'd be better off flying. I go with the sling. City buses generally on streets don't get up to highway speeds, so I guess I'm trusting in mommy instinct to clutch and make a cage around her.

Wendy

Thanks Wendy.

What about if the bus will be going on the highway? Would you still think its okay?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are very few reasons for me to ride a bus on the highway with Laine. I'd do it in a pinch since buses are much safer, but I'd rather not.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
'Round here the highway is part of the normal bus route (to go downtown.) I've ridden on it with my kids (even a newborn) and not worried. The buses don't usually go at "full speed" on the highway, and there's not been a freeway bus accident in, oh, well, a long time. They often have their own lane because they go slow enough no one wants to go behind them, even if there's not a designated bus lane (and sometimes there is.) So even on the highway I do what I need to to keep baby happy and contained. I don't worry too much about safe because, well, you can't plan for everything. :shrug-shoulders: I think I once read that my chances of getting hit by a meteorite are higher than being in a bus accident. Not sure if that was hyperbolic or accurate, but both chances are very very low, and not something I worry too much about.

scoutingbear

I would be fine with a sling. As KQ mentioned, even when buses go on the highway, they are slower...and no driver (at least where we live) wants to be caught anywhere near a slow bus! ;) I do it frequently to get to events about 20 miles away when I know they will be crowded as the city bus drops me off 1/2 a block from the place I am going to. I have been doing it with the boys since C was about 10 months old.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC