Question Crazy Question

4BabyUnit

We have a True Fit for our daughter and have loved it, though I HAVE been frustrated with the fact that the manual we have is not really correct anymore (can use the 3rd slot when rear-facing ...which we just started doing/can be as upright as 35 degrees when rear-facing, etc.). I am actually concerned that I have no way to back up these practices (using 3rd slot, 35 degree install) if I were to get pulled over by a cop and he decides to check the car seat installation. Am I being paranoid? Have any of you ever had this happen to you (not necessarily with a True Fit, but any car seat)? I have thought about this ever since the technicians who originally checked the installation at our local fire dept. gave me completely contradictory information about how to install this seat. They likely never see rear-facing convertibles where we live, and the TF was relatively new and not easy to find around here either, so they seemed to know nothing about it. I already knew it could be installed at 35 degrees, and they made me leave with it at 45 degrees (dd was NOT an infant).

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No, cops are not really going to read the manual to find out whether you're using your seat on the correct slots. If your kid is in a seat that appears to be installed and used reasonably correctly (and that often means totally incorrectly :whistle: ) most cops aren't going to blink an eye. The kid just needs to be buckled in and so does the seat.

4BabyUnit

No, cops are not really going to read the manual to find out whether you're using your seat on the correct slots. If your kid is in a seat that appears to be installed and used reasonably correctly (and that often means totally incorrectly :whistle: ) most cops aren't going to blink an eye. The kid just needs to be buckled in and so does the seat.

Well, I didn't realllly think they'd be asking me for the manual. It's mostly the GIANT sticker on both sides of the car seat that clearly indicate the 3rd harness slot should not be used when the child is rear-facing.

sparkyd

I wouldn't worry about it personally, but maybe you can call Learning Curve and see if they can send you a new sticker. Maybe not, but no harm in asking.

Not all techs seem to be aware that seats can be installed more upright, especially those that aren't really up to speed on rear-facing toddlers. I don't recall ever seeing in a car seat manual that this can be done. :shrug-shoulders:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I know of one lady, in all of the parents I've talked with here and IRL, who showed her cop a manual because he argued about her seat. And he was partly right, just out of date (he said her Snugride handle had to be down, she said no, had the manual, he said sorry and let her go). Otherwise most cops wouldn't know a locking clip from a booster seat. They're not going to care about which slot he's on.

Wendy

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Well, I didn't realllly think they'd be asking me for the manual. It's mostly the GIANT sticker on both sides of the car seat that clearly indicate the 3rd harness slot should not be used when the child is rear-facing.

You could print out a copy of the True Fit manual from LearningCurve.com. The manual there has the info about slots 1, 2, & 3 for rear-facing, and you could keep that with you if you are worried that someone will question the stickers.

4BabyUnit

You could print out a copy of the True Fit manual from LearningCurve.com. The manual there has the info about slots 1, 2, & 3 for rear-facing, and you could keep that with you if you are worried that someone will question the stickers.

Duhh...I didn't even think about that. Thanks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC