Getting new '09 Murano tomorrow, want to get a new seat too!

kalishea

I am picking up my new '09 Murano tomorrow. We are very much in need of a new convertible seat for my 7 month old son. He is a big boy, weighing around 24 lbs already. We do have a MyRide in DH's truck ('08 Frontier), but have still been using the infant seat in my current vehicle ('05 Murano).
I would like to get a new seat tomorrow or this weekend. Is it going to be hard to find something that works, or maybe not since I am just trying to fit one? Should I just go to the store and start trying some?
Some of the seats I was thinking about are:
Radian XT/80/65
another MyRide
TrueFit
Complete Air
Marathon

Are these all good choices? I am mostly looking at rear facing weight limits for my big boy.

Also, would it be best to still try to install in center with the belt or go with LATCH on one of the sides? His infant seat was installed in the center of my
'05 Murano with the belt.

TIA!:D

Or maybe I should move the MyRide to my car and get something else for DH's? It's pretty snug in the back of his Frontier.

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The middle is statistically safest, and LATCH not safer than the seatbelt, so I'd do the middle first.

I like your list of seats. The Marathon would be last on it, though. It's a nice seat with nice weight limits, but about the size of a My Ride for nearly double the money. So you get no bang for your buck with it.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If it's not feasible to put him in the middle I wouldn't stress it. But I'd try harder to put one forward facing child in the middle than a rear facing one, since rear facing provides more side impact protection.

However, if you have more than one child, a bad back, really short arms, whatever the reason to keep him on the side, then go ahead and do it. But the ideal of one child in the car is the rear middle seat.

And don't feel bad if you can't. Neither of mine are in the middle, and even when Piper was an only she didn't always ride in the middle.

Wendy

firemomof3

I can get a Radian installed easily outboard in an 09 Murano, the center was much more difficult. When installed outboard the drivers seat was almost all the way back :)
radianinmurano3.jpg

radianinmurano2.jpg

Mummy2Summer

I have an 06 Murano, I currently have a Boulevard and in the past had a TF, with the headrest on the TF my front passenger seat was unuseable as the seat was pushed so far forward.

My back must be smaller because there is no way a Radian would fit, at least not at the angle DD's seat is at.

kalishea

I guess I will take my new car to the store and start trying some.
Is it best to have the drive and passenger seats where they normally would be and see what works when trying the car seats? I can at least try the MyRide at home.

I know the MyRide has a level gauge on it, but do the other seats? I want to make sure the angle is right while trying them. What should the angle be at for my little guy's age and weight?

Lastly, next to center position, which side is better, the passenger or driver?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At his age whatever is comfortable between 30 and 45 degrees. You don't need a level indicator (but yes, all rear facing seats have one for newborns somewhere). Whatever he likes best. Less than 30 degrees will just look far too upright. More than 45 will look far too reclined.

Either put the seats where you have them and leave them there, or move them back into position after you're done installing. I sometimes move seats to give myself more room when moving around back there. Other times it's not necessary.

Either side is safe. If you park on the correct side of city streets then the passenger side would be better. If you park opposite side than driver. If you park in your driveway then either side. If you park in a garage with one side too close to the wall then do the other side. Whatever works best and easiest.

Wendy

kalishea

I want to start out with something to protect my leather seats. I read the blog on the protectors. I am thinking about just going with a thin towel instead. Is that recommended?

Mummy2Summer

I want to start out with something to protect my leather seats. I read the blog on the protectors. I am thinking about just going with a thin towel instead. Is that recommended?

I have leather seats and I don't use anything.

I think if you HAD to use anything a very thin receiving blanket is best.

MissAllyLou

Using nothing is preferred, but if you are worried about crumbs and such, a thin receiving blanket is ok, or thin shelf liner (that's what we give out at clinics).

armywife12

I don't have anything under the car seat and we have leather. I have heard a very thin towel would be the best thing to use if you felt the need to use something. I've also heard that thin shelf lining is acceptable but tends to melt into the leather seats during the summer months so that probably isn't the best thing to use

kalishea

Ok, I got my new Murano last night. I installed the MyRide out of DH's truck and it fit great! Plenty of room, a lot better fit then in DH's truck (2008 Nissan Frontier)! So, I have narrowed my choices down a bit.. I am thinking either another MyRide or a Radian for my Murano. Any thoughts?
(I think I have ruled out the Marathon. And I don't know a lot about the True Fit or the Complete Air. If I should keep one of those on my list of "to try's", I will.)

Also, I need some install help. I have having trouble getting the seat level without the feet on the base falling into the seat crack. Looking at the seat installed from the back of the car, it looks lopsided and I think its because of the crack on the one side. Also, should the top of the seat be able to move at all? I am talking about the top of the shell. Sitting in the front of DH's truck, I can shake the seat a tiny bit on top. DH said that it would do this no matter how tight it is installed because there is nothing strapping it down on the top and it's too big not to move?
I am thinking we might need to find a local tech to help us! :)

And at this point, there is nothing under the car seat. I was confused about which to do, a receiving blanket or very thin towel, so I put neither under it.

scoutingbear

Dh has an '09 Murano. Both boys are installed outboard. I have found that if the seat has a big LATCH connector (Radian, Britax seats), it is almost impossible to use due to the placement of the latch bars of the car in comparison to where the seatbelt attachment was! I have successfully installed the Marathon, Radian, and Graco Natilus (all FF due to the size of the boys) and the GN was the only one I could really use the latch with. So, just something to keep in mind.

And I totally agree that it is much easier than a Frontier!

kalishea

Kat_Momof3: The MyRide is only 5 lbs less rear facing.. I wonder if 5 lbs is worth getting a Radian?

scoutingbear: So I wonder if I should try the MyRide with LATCH outboard before deciding? Good thoughts, thanks!!

Kat_Momof3

I think if that 5 pounds is reason to get a radian depends on your kid.

For me, I have two VERY long torso'd kiddos... my youngest has the longest compared to the rest of her body... I would be going with the Radian because of that, not the extra five pounds... and because, knowing either one would work well in my vehicle with latch OR seatbelt, I'd get the narrower seat so I could put it in the third row with another kid or two back there.

In YOUR case, with YOUR vehicle, and not knowing if your kiddo is a super-long torso'd kiddo like my daughter (because I thought my younger son had a long torso until she came along... he would have made it to the 40lb weight limit and still had a bit of room to ff and not outgrown the Myride until he was about 6... SHE outgrew a Marathon before she was 4... and she's on the brink of outgrowing a Nautilus any moment... she's not yet 6), I'd say if he has tons of grow room in the myride, and knowing that classic latch connectors (rather than the fancy big ones that Sunshine Kids and Britax use) work more easily with your vehicle (and it is convenient to use latch), unless you'd be using the seatbelt to install either way, I'd go with the Myride.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC