Question What car-seat is the best option?

Freedom_Pixie

I have a few questions: I'm expecting baby #2 in July and I was wondering if I should get an Infant car-seat or a convertable seat? My son is in a True Fit, so I can find all the infant inserts for that and use that one and get DS an a Graco Nuatilus (Sp?). But if I go with Infant Carriers, should I get a Graco Snugride or a Baby Trend? If we decide to go into that direction we would want to get a Travel System. I really like Graco, but my SIL swears by Baby Trend. If we decide the other option I am going to have to put the baby in the Moby wrap I plan to get when out and about. To explain so more we are on a budget, so we would want the least expensive option out there.

So my real question is what should I do: Put baby in a convertable car-seat from the beggining or get an infant car-seat? TIA.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, the least expensive would probably be to use the convertible, even if you have to buy replacement infant inserts. I am firmly in the "I use a convertible from birth" camp, and don't intend to change that, but I know lots of people like the convenience of a carrier.

If you get a carrier, it will depend a lot on your car. The BabyTrend is narrow, but requires the handle be down. The SnugRide is not as narrow but not hugely wide, and allows the handle to be all the way up or down (but not partway down-- of the 5 positions 3 are allowed, see manual.)

Do you live where it gets very cold? That's pretty much the only reason I, personally, would consider an infant seat for a full-term, average-sized baby. And then I'd try to swing one that could be used through baby's first winter, which is most probably neither of the seats you mentioned. :)

Freedom_Pixie

We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and we Live in Nevada where it gets real cold and snowy in winter. So what car-seat would you suggest? I'm open to ideas.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We're not going to tell you what seat to buy. :) Unless there is only one option we don't do that. You have tons of options, and you need to decide what you want to do. There are more sling options than the moby, as well. :)

If you want a convertible you need to make sure it fits babies from birth. You have a True Fit, and it fits most babies great at birth. Since you have it and it's an option, and you don't mind not doing an infant seat, I'd probably do that. Most economical in the long run. If your three year old is forward facing a Nautilus would be a fine seat. There, done. :)

Other convertibles that would fit a newborn are the Radians, the Evenflo Triumph Advance, Graco My Ride, and Cosco Scenera (there are one or two others, but I don't like them enough to recommend them).

I hate the Baby Trend. I hate how it installs, and it's so big front to back with the handle down. The Graco infant seats (any of them) are great options. The Keyfits are great seats. I don't like the Baby Trend, and the Evenflos are also too big front to back to fit in most cars. The Peg is super expensive and a bit of a pain to install, so I rarely recommend it (it's even less of a bang for the buck when you realize it has a five year lifespan instead of six). I know NOTHING of strollers, so I can't discuss travel systems in the least.

If you want an infant seat to last you quite possibly through two winters, then I'd look at the Graco Snugride 35 or the Safety 1st Onboard 35. I know less about the Onboard, but it's a HUGE tall seat and will probably get you through next winter and possibly the one after that. Same with the SR35. The Keyfit 30, less likely, but possible.

HTH

Wendy

Freedom_Pixie

I know you're not here to tell people what seat to buy, I was just wondering about the suggestions (the many different options I can try). I think if I do decide to go with and infant seat I will go with Graco...but if I go down that road I will eventually have to get a different seat for DS (so that Baby #2 can go into the TF when he/she turns 1, I am still going to RF as long as possible so no worries there), by that time DS will be 4 yrs old and maybe there will be more options with car-seats.

Kat_Momof3

I would not get a travel system... if you absolutely are set on one, though, I'd get a Graco... with the Metrolite... it's their best of their strollers, IME.

Otherwise, what I'd do is get a good single stroller that accepts about any carseat... like the baby jogger city mini... others will suggest other strollers if you want suggestions on the stroller area of the shopping section of the board.

Now, the truefit usually fits newborns well (but of course, always have a backup plan in case of a preemie or a really short-torso'd newborn).

What I'd do is get your son a Radian 65/80/XT SL (all of them come with SL... the SL means Surelatch and ensures a 45lb rearfacing limit) and keep him rearfacing until 45lbs

In fact, by the time he outgrows the Radian and the baby takes it, he'll be ready for a booster (should be 6 or so given his current stats) and you can get him a Monterey, Vivo, or some other dedicated booster.

So really, you've got tons of options, but IF you go with an infant seat, I'd go graco.

If you go convertible, I'd move your oldest into a Radian SL of some kind (65/80/XT)

Pixels

What I'd do is get your son a Radian 65/80/XT SL (all of them come with SL... the SL means Surelatch and ensures a 45lb rearfacing limit) and keep him rearfacing until 45lbs

The SL stands for SuperLATCH. If you have a vehicle that was manufactured after 9/1/05, Sunshine Kids says you can use the Radian with LATCH at any weight.

The Radian 65, 80, XT, and 65SL have 40 pound rear facing weight limits. The 80SL and XTSL have a 45 pound limit.

Freedom_Pixie

Thanks for the suggestions. With DS I had him 3 weeks early and he weighed 5 lbs 15 oz. So if I have Baby #2 early weighing roughly the same amount I can put him/her in the TF (it goes 5-35lbs rear facing). I have been spending pratically all day looking for the many different options of carseat, I am thinking about getting a Radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC