sad story - please share

kmarcus

this incredibly sad story taught me a lesson that unfortunately someone had to learn the hard way. i'm hoping you all can help spread the word. let's see if i can type it without crying...

after dark on the highway near my house, a couple and their 4 month old baby were driving and had a minor accident. they pulled over but there isn't really a shoulder on this highway. they took the obviously upset baby out of his car seat to calm him down and were rear-ended AGAIN. the baby was not in his car seat and he died.

i've cried over this several times. thinking of how relieved the couple probably was that the first accident was so minor...and thinking of them getting the baby out to comfort him...and then tragedy.

i think that my first instinct would be to get the baby out to comfort, also. but in such an unsafe place as the side of the highway (without even a shoulder) it is so unsafe.

thanks for reading...sorry for the sad story, but i felt it just had to be shared here.

ADS

HEVY

That is a sad story. I was just telling my friend how I went to Sonics for the first time and they have stalls you park in to eat and how I let Rachel come sit up front but made her wear her seatbelt. She thought I was stupid tomake her wear one while the car was parked. You can just as easily be hit while parked. So sorry for that family.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That's horribly sad.

My daughter and I were caught in the middle of the road once. I was in the right hand turn lane of two left turn lanes (so of three lanes I was in the middle one). My car died. There was a turn behind us. She had unbuckled and come up to the front seat, but then we both realized where we were and we got buckled again and called the cops to come sit behind us with their lights on so people didn't hit us.

Wendy

leighi123

I was worried about that the other day, my tire blew out (totally shredded) in a construction zone w/ cars going 70mph in the rain. We pulled over, but it was just a small grassy bit right next to all the cars. I made ds stay buckeled, and I buckeled up next to him while we waited for AAA.

Now I also know that you should check your spare to make sure its inflated every once in a while, I know how to change a tire but it doesnt do any good to have one if its flat!

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
My first thoughts after my wreck were, keep Tripp in his seat. Everyone I spoke to on the phone told me the same. All I could imagine was us getting rear-ended again. It took the cops over 30 minutes to arrive, luckily I had just left the grocery store and had taken the pack of hotdogs from ds as I bucled him in so they were in my purse and I didn't have to get out of my seatbely either. :)

NannyMom

OP, you're not far from me if that was near you. I'm just a bit further south on 83. That is very sad. And kind of confusing if you read the article. They advise getting far away from the crash. It sounds like that's what they were trying to do :(

Police said there wasn't much that could have been done, and recommended that if motorists do crash and the car can't be moved, get as far from the vehicle as possible.

That is so sad. :(

kmarcus

i'm actually further down 83 in hampden...where are you?? intesting! sorry that this is off-topic, but what a coincidence. 83 is such a dangerous highway...i hate driving on it.

Last edited:

hboo22

We hit a deer a couple years ago, and the car wasn't driveable. Dh thought I was stupid because I made the girls stay in their seats until the wrecker came and his mom came to pick us all up. We were on the wrong side shoulder on a dark stretch of highway. Luckily we were all fine and nothing happened, but it could have been much worse....such a sad story....

NannyMom

i'm actually further down 83 in hampden...where are you?? intesting! sorry that this is off-topic, but what a coincidence. 83 is such a dangerous highway...i hate driving on it.

lol, really really really close to you ;)

lilpenguin

:(

Last new year's a friend of the family was driving home on the freeway when he got hit by a drunk driver. Damage to his car was minor, but the girl who hit him crashed and passed out. He got out to help her, and was then hit by another car and killed.

I would disagree w/the article and say that its safer to be buckled in the car.

oh gosh I have pulled over many times on long rides on the highway to nurse Nolan,once to turn Fiona ffing (her butt was killing her from rear facing inthe true fit on a long ride) and even recently when she threw up, to clean her up.

I always pull way over on the shoulder and when she barfed it was up all the way into the grass but gosh I just never thought about it, I will pull off the highway into a parking lot to nurse fromnow on.. or inthe event of vomit ect.

babygirlsmom1005

OP, you're not far from me if that was near you. I'm just a bit further south on 83. That is very sad. And kind of confusing if you read the article. They advise getting far away from the crash. It sounds like that's what they were trying to do :(

That is so sad. :(

That is aways what I have been told - if your in a crash, car dies, etc...and waiting for a wreaker/tow truck/police/husband or whatever, do not stay in the car. Get away from the vehicle because it may get hit just sitting there.

That is such a sad story :(

brightredmtn

That is so sad but something that we can all spread the word about.

I remember from drivers ed. that if you're pulled over on the side of a highway you're actually supposed to keep your lights off because people might see them and think you're in a lane and drive right into you.

Strange I just realized that I remember practically everything from drivers ed. and I've aced the three written tests I've taken in the three states I've had drivers licenses and the one behind the wheel. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that 15 years later I became so interested in CPS.

babygirlsmom1005

That is so sad but something that we can all spread the word about.

I remember from drivers ed. that if you're pulled over on the side of a highway you're actually supposed to keep your lights off because people might see them and think you're in a lane and drive right into you.

Strange I just realized that I remember practically everything from drivers ed. and I've aced the three written tests I've taken in the three states I've had drivers licenses and the one behind the wheel. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that 15 years later I became so interested in CPS.

Lights on also make you a target for drunks - they fixate on something and go towards it. I personally know 3 cops whos car was hit by a drunk driver because they had someone pulled over and had their lights on.

brightredmtn

Lights on also make you a target for drunks - they fixate on something and go towards it. I personally know 3 cops whos car was hit by a drunk driver because they had someone pulled over and had their lights on.

Yeah that was it although I remember that someone didn't have to be drunk for that to happen to them, although I can see how that would make it worse.

Anne

DH is always offering to pull over so I can nurse my daughter or change her diaper and I always tell him no. He shakes his head at me when I tell him it's too dangerous to be pulled over on the side of the interstate if you don't need to be, especially to get DD out of her seat. A few times I've wondered if I'm being too paranoid, but I won't even think twice now.

oh gosh I have pulled over many times on long rides on the highway to nurse Nolan,once to turn Fiona ffing (her butt was killing her from rear facing inthe true fit on a long ride) and even recently when she threw up, to clean her up.

I always pull way over on the shoulder and when she barfed it was up all the way into the grass but gosh I just never thought about it, I will pull off the highway into a parking lot to nurse fromnow on.. or inthe event of vomit ect.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC