Cosco X90 travel system?

La-Di-Ma

Zellers has this on Moonlight Madness on Friday the 27th for 119.97. The copy says the infant bucket rear faces to 40lbs. I can't find this travel system on Cosco's site, and Google turns up nothing.

Does anyone know anything about this system? Is it really a 40lb infant seat? Not that I can imagine a 40 lb infant fitting in a bucket...

editing because I'm wondering whether the stroller holds 40lbs, not the bucket. The copy reads "Includes stroller and car seat. Easy one-hand fold. Rear facing up to 40 lbs. 3-point harness. Multiposition reclining seat. Large storage basket and canopy. Parent tray on handle."

Everything else is describing the stroller, but the stroller isn't rear-facing.

Last edited:
ADS

canadiangie

zellers.jpg

There's the flyer shot if it helps anyone.

It's not a 40lb infant seat, that I know for sure.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yep, that's a designer 22 seat. I can't see the metal bar in that picture, but cosco mainly makes 2 different seats (not going to count arriva since I think superstore is the only one with them and they're all old DOM.) So that is the D22 clones, and then the Surefit - usually comes on an endeavor travel system. One attaches to the stroller by sitting inside the stroller, the other sits partially on the tray like in this picture and then latches on to a metal bar.

So based on the picture and the fact that it attaches to the tray, I'm going to go out on a limb and say its' a D22 seat which would be 5 to 22lbs - and depending on the DOM be included in the consumer info notice. Here's to hoping that they're at least relatively new seats so there's no base issues. *sigh*

U

Unregistered

I too am trying to find more info on this system...I may have to swing by Zellers early to take a look, and to make sure that the store has it in stock. I've got three stores close by and I'm sure one of them will have it.

snowbird25ca

I too am trying to find more info on this system...I may have to swing by Zellers early to take a look, and to make sure that the store has it in stock. I've got three stores close by and I'm sure one of them will have it.

Dorel usually has a DOM on the outside of the seat, so that's what you'll be looking for to make sure it's not part of the consumer information notice.

No Dorel infant seat in Canada is rated above 22lbs at present, so it's definitely only a 22lb weight limit. I'm 99.9999% sure that it's a designer 22 seat as well, but if you find out differently, please let us know. :thumbsup:

dogmelissa

I saw this too and actually started laughing. It's such a vague sentence - doesn't say whether the car seat goes to 40 lbs, whether the stroller can *hold* a car seat with a 40lb baby in it, or what the heck other configuration it might be. (I was laughing cause it was so vague and also cause the limit is 2 - do people really need TWO travel systems?)

I haven't noticed, but I really really really hope that they print a correction to this ad!!

Melissa

snowbird25ca

I was at Zeller's tonight for something else and they had these out in the floor by the elevators.

Designer 22 travel system, 5 to 22lb car seat. NOT part of the consumer information notice. :D (You can tell just by looking at the picture on the box because the base has the bumps on the back of it, no need to look at the DOM.)

Oh - and looks like they're changing from designer 22 as the name to Starter 22? I saw a bunch of designer 22 seats but they were post-info notice seats with the new base and the boxes all said Starter on them - no mention of Designer 22 on them.

U

Unregistered

I went to Zellers today to find out...none are on display, but I found the boxes and here is what I found. Model #01669CORB...but can't find any more info than I could before I had the model #. Also, as already mentioned, the carseat is only for 5-22 lbs, and stroller is for upto 40lbs. There was a manufacture date stamped on the boxes, and all were manufactured in August 2009 at the store I was at if anyone finds any more info I'd appreciate it. Idea which I'll try and do if I have time...but probably won't have the time...is call the company and ask them more about it.

snowbird25ca

I went to Zellers today to find out...none are on display, but I found the boxes and here is what I found. Model #01669CORB...but can't find any more info than I could before I had the model #. Also, as already mentioned, the carseat is only for 5-22 lbs, and stroller is for upto 40lbs. There was a manufacture date stamped on the boxes, and all were manufactured in August 2009 at the store I was at if anyone finds any more info I'd appreciate it. Idea which I'll try and do if I have time...but probably won't have the time...is call the company and ask them more about it.

The carseat is a designer 22 seat. They come under many different names, but that's what it is. You can probably find lots of info if you search the forums for designer 22 discussions. As I mentioned in the prior post, these were made recently enough that they are NOT affected by the information notice which advised parents with older seats to not use the base.

The stroller is an ok stroller. The carseat is a back adjust carseat. For the price, it really is a good deal - you're unlikely to find a front adjust carseat/stroller combo for that price if you're needing one before boxing day. Even then there's no guarantees.

I work at BRU 2 evenings a week and the typical complaint that I hear about the strollers that come with that carseat is that they're heavy and bulky. Every once in awhile I'll hear complaints about the wheels - though I haven't heard one of those for quite awhile. I'd say probably 75% of customers who choose that travel system over others are happy enough with it. From my point of view the biggest decision to make is whether or not you're happy with a back adjust harness.

It's also possible (well, highly probably actually,) that it has what we refer to as a puzzle buckle - and if so it would be the only remaining Canadian seat being manufactured with a puzzle buckle now. (Peg Perego switched about a year ago or so.) A puzzle buckle means that the two buckle tongues have to be overlaid one on top the other, then buckled at the same time. Some people absolutely hate that style, some don't care. They are not as convenient as the "normal" style of separate buckle tongues in my opinion, but something you might not be bothered by.. hard to say.

They do allow the handle up in the car now, the carrier is fairly light weight. It has low harness slots and fits small babies well - you can count on it fitting a 5lb baby. It also has EPS foam in the head area.

They periodically have compatibility issues - typically only in vehicles with seats so flat that you don't need to use the recline adjustment on the base. Otherwise they're a basic seat that will do it's job. :thumbsup:

canadiangie

I have a friend who bought that stroller for a trip to Disneyland. When she bought it she assumed it would konk out after a week of hard use (daily, all day, in the heat, with an enormous squirmy 2y/o) but it's still going strong, and even went to the babysitter's house and got used there, daily, with various rough and tumble kids. She absolutely LOVED the huge basket, cupholders, snack tray and the fact that it's actually fairly lightweight.

snowbird25ca

I have a friend who bought that stroller for a trip to Disneyland. When she bought it she assumed it would konk out after a week of hard use (daily, all day, in the heat, with an enormous squirmy 2y/o) but it's still going strong, and even went to the babysitter's house and got used there, daily, with various rough and tumble kids. She absolutely LOVED the huge basket, cupholders, snack tray and the fact that it's actually fairly lightweight.

This is the reason why I say the stroller is hit and miss. So many have this great experience. And then there are a few who have problems - though my understanding is that Dorel is good about providing replacement parts.

Thanks for sharing the experience. I always like to know more about the stuff we sell and how customers have found them to use. (Geeky, I know, but parents like it when I have feedback about stuff and I'm nothing if not thorough even if it is just a BRU job. ;))

U

Unregistered

hi...just found your site and have read with interest all the posts on this stroller.
my son and daughter-in-law just purchased it yesterday, dec 22, at the zellers here in town and it was priced on sale at $99.99...we opened it up at home and i am quite impressed with it's lightweight design. also, it truly is a one handed set-up. my biggest concern for them when making this purchase was that she be able to manage it easily--both in setting it up and putting it in and out of the car....and yes! it fits both bills.
the car seat is held in place on the stoller with a metal bar. as someone else mentionned. this is a new concept for me, since it's surely been a while since my own boys were small!! however, is it a safe design??? any thoughts???
thanks, merry christmas and i appreciate your thoughts.
tp, moncton nb, a gramma-to-be!!

QuassEE

Hi excited Gramma! :)

The carseat and stroller are both safe, and pass all required safety standards. Make sure that your son and daughter-in-law check that the carseat is not under active recall (and if it is, to consider this in the use of the seat) and encourage them to see a certified Children's Restraint Systems Technician for carseat installation help prior to their baby's birth.

A lot of things have changed over the years--especially this last 10 years! My oldest is 14, and between then and now it's like night and day with regards to baby gear and child passenger safety.

Enjoy!

-Nicole.

snowbird25ca

Hi excited Gramma! :)

The carseat and stroller are both safe, and pass all required safety standards. Make sure that your son and daughter-in-law check that the carseat is not under active recall (and if it is, to consider this in the use of the seat) and encourage them to see a certified Children's Restraint Systems Technician for carseat installation help prior to their baby's birth.

Looks like the X90 system is not on the list from the handle recall, and it's definitely not affected by the base information notice. I don't recall the exact DOM anymore, but the handle recall ends as of April 6 dates which is only about a week after the switch to the new base. IIRC these travel systems have August DOM. They were well outside the time frame of the info notice anyways. :thumbsup:

I noticed it was $99 at my local Zeller's this past week too and that's a great price for a travel system. The biggest drawback to this system is the back adjust harness. Other than that, it'll do the job fine. Back harness adjusters are more finicky and take some extra time and effort when adjusting, but are just as safe as front adjusters provided they're used properly. :thumbsup:

Congrats to you and your family. :D

dogmelissa

This Travel System is on sale again at Zellers and this time it's *much* clearer in the ad. It says: "Car Seat: Rear-facing up to 40 lbs. 3-point safety harness."

I think someone should mention to Zellers/HBC that this is technically false advertising. If a parent actually bought this and expected to use it to 40lbs.................

Melissa

Twinklefae

I saw this too and actually started laughing. It's such a vague sentence - doesn't say whether the car seat goes to 40 lbs, whether the stroller can *hold* a car seat with a 40lb baby in it, or what the heck other configuration it might be. (I was laughing cause it was so vague and also cause the limit is 2 - do people really need TWO travel systems?)

I haven't noticed, but I really really really hope that they print a correction to this ad!!

Melissa

Old thread, but they have to put limits, or else people buy a bunch, wait til the sale is over and then sell them on Kijiji for close to regular price.

U

Unregistered

No, the carseat is up to 22 lbs, the stroller is up to 40 lbs.

Stroller

•1-hand fold, stands on its own
•Child snack tray with cup/juice box holder
•Multi-position recline
•Parent organizer tray with 2 cup holders
•Large storage basket
•3-point harness
•Accommodates child up to 40 pounds

Designer® Infant Car Seat
•Rear-facing 5 – 22 pounds
•Side Impact Protection
•5-point harness

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC