Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Cheap sling for hip carry?

Can someone suggest a cheap sling that I can use to do a hip carry?

Here's the situation: I have a beco and an ergo but it's getting rather cold here. I don't want to be standing in a parking lot trying to get one of those on and DS in to it while freezing. I'm thinking a nice thin sling that I can wear under my jacket in the car. That way when we get to where we're going I can just pop him in and away we'll go.

I guess it needs to be comfy too. DS weighs close to 20lbs and will be 7 months old on the 20th. I don't want something that will kill my shoulder.

Thanks.

Zack 12/20/90 Taylor 5/11/98
    Austin 4/16/03 69lbs 58" Happily riding in Incognitos!
    Gavin 4/20/09 53lbs, 47" FF in an RXT, GN, and 2 FR85's
    DN Olivia 10/2/14 riding in an SR35

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Cheap sling for hip carry?

Do you sew at all?

One of my first sewing projects was a sling. I think it cost me $10 for materials... I bought some clearanced stretch twill (3 yards, which was overkill... 2-2.5 would probably be plenty) and rings from sling rings. You can hem the sides, or not, if it's not a fashion consideration for you. So the only real required sewing is hemming the rings into the sling, and as long as you can sew a few straight lines, it's pretty easy. (I just gathered my shoulder.)

Otherwise I know Jan Andrea has some inexpensive slings and she's well respected in the BW community -- www.sleepingbaby.net.

I've never used a commercial sling, aside from trying one on in OUAC, so maybe someone who has can guide you in a better direction, though.

I'd look for a used Maya wrap or similar type sling. I could wear mine in the car under my coat and hop out and plunk a baby in it in seconds.
    Maiya ~ 12y/80lbs ~ Jane Indy Plus ~ Hayden ~ 9y/55lbs ~ SK Monterey ~ Quinn ~ 8y/45lbs ~ RXT ~ Mitchell ~ 18m/24lbs ~ Arctic Cat MA

Have you tried a hotsling?

I loved mine when DS was little - they are really comfy (since there is no ring to dig into you).

My only issue is that I think they run small compared to their size chart. Maybe I'm bigger than I realize

You can find them used for pretty cheap. Some folks here have found them at outlets that sell target overstocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie_R View Post
    Do you sew at all?
    I have basic sewing skills so I'm sure if I really tried I could do it. It's something I'll have to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by ctbcleveland View Post
    Have you tried a hotsling?
    I was just looking at them online. LOL. I think a hotsling is probably what would work best for me. Now to see if I can find one cheap.

Jan at Sleeping Baby Productions makes lovely and affordable slings. She doesn't have many options on her site at the moment, but she often has several different under $25 dollar options.

Her shoulder style is devine for older and heavier babies. I have had several of her slings (carriers were my passion before my kids all decided they'd rather walk) and one of the two carriers I can still use with my 3.5 and 2 year olds is my SBP Osnaburg Ring Sling.
    Kate, mama to O (11), J (9) and H (5)!

I've only used Hotslings (which I love!), but I'm pretty sure they are similar to Peanut Shells and you can get a PS for only $25 on Walmart's site. If you want a Hotsling, your best shot at a really good deal is usually ebay.

Peanut shell has a $10 grab bag in the outlet on their site.
    Nikki, Navy wife to Kevin and Mom to Jacob 6/05, 57in, and 62lbs riding in a harmony youth and other variuos backless boosters and Grace 11/09, 41in, and 40lbs riding in a Nauti (rear faced for 2y and 10 1/2 months)
    Baby Emily 7/12 , riding in a BV70

Thanks everyone.

I think I'm going to go with a hotsling or peanut shell. I have found several on my craigslist and on ebay at very cheap prices.

Now I just have to figure out what size I need. Do any of you know if the peanut shell runs small too? I am 5'3" and 130lbs. So I'm thinking a size 2 or 3 (leaning toward 3 since they run small) in a hotsling and a size small in the peanut shell. Does that sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by njkj View Post
    Hmm. That's so tempting, but what if I get a girly one. I wish you could at least request one for a girl or boy then I'd be right on it.

I sold tiggercat my size three - she might be willing to tell you her stats and how it fits. I was smack dab in the middle of a 3 and 4 (weight wise) and the three was way too small. I am about an inch taller than you, so it is not that I was putting it on a 6 ft tall frame, either.

Quote Originally Posted by ctbcleveland View Post
    I sold tiggercat my size three - she might be willing to tell you her stats and how it fits. I was smack dab in the middle of a 3 and 4 (weight wise) and the three was way too small. I am about an inch taller than you, so it is not that I was putting it on a 6 ft tall frame, either.
    Thanks I'll PM her.

Quote Originally Posted by njkj View Post

Ok I've been playing around on their site and I also found an Amy Coe in the blue/brown for $16.99 and a black micro fleece for $19.99. Hmmm.