WOW! You guys weren't kidding!

LuvMyCharlie

I will never, ever, ever fly without a Radian again. That thing really IS made for planes, isn't it?!?! Way easier than my previous combinations of MA/Scenera/UT/CS on a luggage cart. WAY easier. And I just can't say enough good things about the install. I just put the RF boot in my luggage and hoped for the best that my luggage would make it here with us. :eek: I had enough to carry on since it was just me and DS(between the Radian, stroller, and bag).

One question, though. I've seen several people say their DC was able to use the seat tray with the Radian. DS was unable too as his legs were sitting too high. The Radian was not in the reclined FF position, so I'm not sure what was up with that. His legs aren't THAT big. Is this just one of those things that varies from airline to airline?

ADS

Murphy's Law

It must vary airline to airline. We flew Airtran when my dd was 4 years old, about 34 pounds. She was able to use the tray in her RN without issue.

Glad you enjoyed your trip with the RN! It is a great seat to travel with!

True Blue

Hmmmm I flew with mine recently and while it's nicer to walk around with...we couldn't even use it on one flight because the airline seatbelt buckle wound up right in the middle of her back. It was behind the cover, but I can't imagine sitting for 3 hours with that wedged into my back!

Dillipop

pp- the seatbelt does end up right in the middle of the back, but the radian cover has a piece of plastic right there and covers it pretty well. My kids have never been uncomfortable with it and we take long, cross country flights.

op- we always fly southwest and have always been able to use the tray. Last time we flew, ds was 5 and had no problem fitting under it. Must be the plane.

mykidsmom

We used the radian for my almost 2 year old at the time on AirTran.

I worked well from carrying through the airport (bungeed onto the back of my stroller.

We couldn't get very good installs on the plane however. It just didn't seem to fit into the seats correctly. Lots of movement no matter what I did. We were able to use the tray table with no problems (other than she kept kicking it and knocking her stuff off it!)

I can't wait until we can travel without it. I've flown two time on international trips with my older dd when she was younger and it was a god send not to have to transport a car seat or a stroller. We could walk anywhere, use escalators without searching for elevators, hop on an off buses without assistance, etc. Heck the second strip I was 7 months pregnant and she was 3. The first trip she was 2. She did absolutely fine in the lap belt. I did have to check position numerous times and re-tighten it to make sure it stayed low and off her belly. But other than that she did fine.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
How did it not fit in the seats? :confused: I've found that a Radian takes up about the same space as a thin-ish adult, so they almost always fit perfectly. Were they very contoured or something?

Did you pull the seatbelt tight by accessing it through the front of the cover? My Radians took longer to thread through than they did to tighten, when we flew with them last week! I had to get the thing threaded in and buckled, but then I just put the seatbelt end through the access slits, put a knee in, pulled, and they were instantly tight.

Oh, and the trays fit perfectly over their laps, too, great for eating, coloring, and watching movies. We flew Southwest, as well. They fly 737s.

myliljunebugs

Okay, for curiosity sake, if you had a 5 year old, approx 45lbs (I'm guessing here) would you use a radian or a booster if you were flying somewhere and getting a rental car?

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Okay, for curiosity sake, if you had a 5 year old, approx 45lbs (I'm guessing here) would you use a radian or a booster if you were flying somewhere and getting a rental car?

I would use a booster, but my 5 year old is booster trained and sits well in one. If my child had never been in a booster, or wasn't ready for one, I would still use the radian.

Kat_Momof3

also would depend on sleep comfort... if they would sleep and how comfortable they would be in just the airplane seat.

My thought is that if the 5yr old would want to sleep, she'd be more comfy in a Radian... but otherwise, packing a booster would be fine.

I'd also factor in booster training, but I can see and I already knew your daughter is booster-trained, so that's not a factor for you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC