Question nauti vs frontier? i haven't seat shopped in 2 years...

• Thread starter Unregistered - SnazzyMama
  • Start date
U

Unregistered - SnazzyMama

My DD is 41 lbs, 45" and 5 yrs. DS is 31 lbs, 36", and almost 3. Both kiddos are long in the torso and lean. (There is height on dad's side and they show no signs of stopping.)

I drive an Audi wagon (Allroad) and DH drives one with a smaller backseat (S4). Right now both cars have Regents for my oldest and Evenflo triumph for the younger. DS is ougrowing the strap height of the Evenflo and we need to rearrange. DD is also VERY short on knee space in dad's backseat. We are thinking of putting both Regents in my bigger wagon and getting something with a smaller seat (bum to knee) for dad's car.

After a bit of research i'm thinking the frontier or nautilus will be our best choices. If the nautilus base is smaller is that my best bet and worry about them getting too tall for the booster position later? Or just jump into the frontier since we know Britax and like it? One of each since they are of different ages and we'll have more flexibility?

Any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated.

ADS

Kiss Me Deadly

My sister has a Nautilus, and I just got a Frontier last week.

My nephew is 4.5 and freakishly tall (4'3"), and he seems comfortable still harnessed in his Nautilus, but just doing a side by side comparison when we were at their house the other day, I am confident the frontier will outlast the Nauti.

The Frontier seems much more accomodating for wider hips (I can sit in it), and my sister is already contemplating buying a Clek high back booster when she no longer harnesses him. She is not a fan of the Nautilus belt positioning mode.

BigDaddy

Both are really good seats. In my opinion, your best move would be to go to a nearby retailer (Babies R Us, for example) and try them. Find out which fits your children better, and which gives you the best installation. Each seat has different characteristics, in some vehicles the Nautilus will fit taller children, and in others the Frontier may fit taller children.

Personally, I love the frontier, it works beautifully for us, however there are some situations, where the vehicle or child's needs may make it unusable.

ETA: At your son's size, there are many seats that will accommodate him rear facing (which is much safer). Would that be something that you'd be willing to consider?

Evolily

OP- the nautilus makes a slightly taller harness seat (1/2 inch), and the frontier makes a much taller booster. The nautilus is usually easier to install and has a steal reinforced frame. Both are great seats, though- hard to go wrong with either. I would try to see both in person before choosing.

My nephew is 4.5 and freakishly tall (4'3"), and he seems comfortable still harnessed in his Nautilus
Are you sure he isn't 43"? That's like 90th percentile for a 4 y/o., which is very tall for a 4 y/o. 51 inches is like over the 95th percentile for a 7 y/o- almost inconceivable for a 4 y/o.

Maedze

All in all, I think the Nautilus is the 'better' product of the two, although they are both safe, of course. It's sturdier, it's easier to install, the harness adjuster is a lot smoother. It makes a shorter high back booster, but converts to a backless.

That being said, while the Nautilus or the Frontier is a great seat for your five year old, I would get a convertible for your 2 year old. At his age, he would be much better served being in a rear facing car seat for another year or so :)

U

Unregistered

All in all, I think the Nautilus is the 'better' product of the two, although they are both safe, of course. It's sturdier, it's easier to install, the harness adjuster is a lot smoother. It makes a shorter high back booster, but converts to a backless.

That being said, while the Nautilus or the Frontier is a great seat for your five year old, I would get a convertible for your 2 year old. At his age, he would be much better served being in a rear facing car seat for another year or so :)

This longer rear-facing is a new development for me. How tall can they be like that? I just re-measured DS now that he's awake and he's actually almost 38" inches. I don't want to buy a car seat that'll only last a few months.

It sounds like the nautilus and the frontier both have fans....

U

Unregistered

And since he grew more than I thought the last couple months I just put him on the scale. He's actually 33.5 lbs.

zactayaus

DD is also VERY short on knee space in dad's backseat. We are thinking of putting both Regents in my bigger wagon and getting something with a smaller seat (bum to knee) for dad's car.

I think this may rule out the frontier for you then. It has probably got the longest "bum to knee" seat out of all the HWH seats that are out there.

armywife12

This longer rear-facing is a new development for me. How tall can they be like that? I just re-measured DS now that he's awake and he's actually almost 38" inches. I don't want to buy a car seat that'll only last a few months.

It sounds like the nautilus and the frontier both have fans....

Many seats can rear face children beyond 40 inches because it all depends on torso length. The Radian 80SL and XTSL rear face to 45lbs and have tall shells so they keep most children rear facing close to 4 yrs old, of not longer. The Safety First Complete Air rear faces to 40lbs and has a tall shell as well so it will keep long torsoed children rear facing longer. Can you measure his torso length for us? That will help give us an idea of how much longer he can rear face. Convertibles also forward face and many harness until most are ready for a booster so it won't be used for just a few more months. The Radians fit most children harnessed to at least 6 yrs old. My 26 month old is 35lbs and around 38 inches rear facing in a MyRide and he'll make it very close to 3 yrs old before outgrowing rear facing in height. His torso is around 14 inches. He'd have tons of growing room left rear facing if he were in a Radian

U

Unregistered

His waist to top of head length is almost 17". I think, he's pretty squirmy, :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
His waist to top of head length is almost 17". I think, he's pretty squirmy, :)

We need his seated floor to shoulder height. :) His torso. But if you're saying his shoulders are nearly above the old Triumph's top slot then that means he's got a 15-15.5" torso.

Wendy

njkj

I have had both and prefer the FN b/c of the crotch room. DS LOVES his FN and has not once complained about it hurting his boy parts. He complained everyday in his Nauti.

Are you sure he isn't 43"? That's like 90th percentile for a 4 y/o., which is very tall for a 4 y/o. 51 inches is like over the 95th percentile for a 7 y/o- almost inconceivable for a 4 y/o.

It is very possible, My DN is 4.5 52in tall and 53ish lbs. My brother hands UP his cloths to his older brother. He has be OFF the charts since his 2 week check up, It is CRAZY!!!

Kaede's_Mom

We also own both seats. I personaly like the Frontier over the Natulis for DD's comfort. She has realy short legs and a very long torso, she needed the depth of the Frontier (bum to knee) so her legs didnt fall asleep. I find it esier to use, but definatly not easier to instal. The Natulis is a great seat, and from the sound of your back seat it may work better for your situation. I second going and trying each seat in both your cars to make sure.

U

Unregistered

I sent DH to the store without the kids so that he could fool around with the seats in his car first w/out worrying about correct re-install with the kids on the way home.

He has since emailed me to say that the Nauti is only in pink and that the Frontier looks like higher quality and more sturdy. But did he bring them out to the car? Not so much. He is smarter than that....And really, i did tell him to...

The kids have teacher workshop tomorrow so I can try them out with them....

U

We need his seated floor to shoulder height. :) His torso. But if you're saying his shoulders are nearly above the old Triumph's top slot then that means he's got a 15-15.5" torso.

Wendy

OK....makes much more sense. I couldn't imagine how that other business would tell you anything. I think its closer to 14"....

Evolily

the nautilus comes in much more than pink (every shade of gray you can imagine ;) ). The nautilus is also very sturdy- it has metal reinforcement and is one of only 2 or 3 seats that do. Both of those make me wonder if your DH confused the nautilus with another seat :) .

Jennifer mom to my 7

the nautilus comes in much more than pink (every shade of gray you can imagine ;) ). The nautilus is also very sturdy- it has metal reinforcement and is one of only 2 or 3 seats that do. Both of those make me wonder if your DH confused the nautilus with another seat :) .

NOt necessarily. Last time I was at BRU, they only had the mariposa nautilus;)

U

So now DH is considering another pair of Regents....now that he saw the price, I guess. They've dropped since we bought the second one a couple years ago. Aside from further reviewing the RFing for DS....any reason why we shouldn't go that route?

I don't think either the nautilus or frontier is really going to gain us much legroom for DD in dad's car. She sits in the Regent, with the backs of her knees against the car seat and her legs go straight down. DHs seat back only has two inches or so to her kneecap. It is probably wishful thinking that we could give her more space.

My only concern would be when DD actually outgrows the Regent. I'm betting that will be at least another 2 years, but she may possibly need a HBB. And a tall one at that. Which circles me back to the Frontier as at least one of our purchases. Or should I just cross that bridge in two years since there will probably be something better out by then?

Again, thanks so much for contributing!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC