Trailcat

Not a CPST

2007 Ford Escape

Passenger Outboard-LBP & top tether = rock solid

2010 Ford Focus

Passenger Outboard-SBP & top tether = rock solid

2002 Ford Taurus Wagon

Passenger Outboard-SBP & top tether = rock solid

Cindy, mom to DS, almost 5, harnessed in red rock frontiers :)

ADS

goldmama22

2007 Honda Odyssey
3rd row bench outboard (both sides) SBP
2nd row captains chair LATCH

2007? Toyota Sienna (friend's car, installed it once)
2nd row captains chair LATCH

3rd row required me to recline the seat, install, and then put the seat upright. The tech who installed the seat for me the first time (I'm not a tech) got it w/in acceptable limits without doing this, then watched me install and I could get it w/in an inch too, but I like a rock solid install, so I do the recline trick. I can't remember whether I needed to do this for the 2nd row captains chair - maybe, maybe not!

jenmann21

Senior Community Member
Frontier in a 2005 Toyota Rav4

Rock solid install with LATCH.

Near rock solid install with LBP.

SBP was a no-go.

I am a CPST.

jdchic3

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Driver's side, outboard

LBP with tether

The seatbelt is the PERFECT length if you put the height adjuster all the way up once you get the slack out of the lap portion of the belt.

:love: this seat in my car

shastings

I got the Frontier to work in an Audi A4 wagon 2003 with the long belt path on the sides or the latch on the sides of the seat. The middle didn't fit well. I can fit a Frontier on either side of the back seat with room for the cup holders to be open into the middle. The latch is definitely easier for one person in my experience. I can do that way alone, but the long belt path I need someone to hold the belt while I route it and then help push on the car seat because the fit is very very tight!!!
I am not a certified technician, but I did have the installation checked by one.
Thank you so much for starting this thread!

mom2jessnky

Not a Tech

2006 Hummer H3

LATCH Installed, Driver Outboard (the middle "seat" of an H3 is worthless)

Tried LBP and SBP I'm sure if I was inclined to fight with my truck it would work but I couldn't get it to work for me. No biggie since my kiddo is well under the latch weight limit and the Beast goes back (lease) in a few months. ;)

MJL

Not a tech, not inspected yet. I haven't found a very good tech locally -- my Marathon was totally installed wrong by a tech here in town & I haven't found anyone else I trust LOL.

2001 Honda CR-V, both outboard sides (twins). I tried the SBP first, but it had too much slack. Tried the LBP next, not enough belt. I did NOT try the lower-the-headrest / belt slot trick, and I was only one person. Next time I install I might try that trick.

Went back to the SBP. I had to twist the belt stalk twice, and use the lean the seat back, tighten, then lean forward trick. Ended up with a good solid install. Very challenging.

spryngtree

2002 Honda civic outboard, SBP, not checked by a tech but we've had many seats checked by techs in the past so knew what to look for and my husband is kind of anal about it so I think its good. Its a bench seat but it has a bucket curve, and the install was challenging but more because of space to access things than the install itself. We don't care to move it often for sure. Also it was a real pain to get the harness height right because it was very different in the car than it was trying it on the ground outside.

My husband adds that it was difficult to get the slack out of the Short Belt Path, but possible and that when we first got the seat we had it installed with latch and that was much easier.

spd33

2009 Honda Odyssey

Rock solid in 3rd Row Outboard with LBP and tether

Admittedly, it took me a while to figure this out and would've taken even longer had I not found this vid: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uuovrWhQp0"]YouTube - Britax Frontier: Installation Using Vehicle Lap/Shoulder Belt; Long Path[/ame]

I'd never seen an install like this and couldn't make heads or tails of the instruction manual.

3plus2isme

2007 Ford F150 SuperCrew

In both the outboard positions it went in ROCK SOLID with LATCH.

Didn't try a seatbelt install but will have to soon for DS1 and I'll come back ;)

Mommy0608

2009 Grand Caravan

Captain's chair, Stow-N-Go seating

Long beltpath - Great installation! Seat belt is plenty long enough. Belt stalk is rigid and points out at a strange angle, but the long beltpath method works great with this. I'll add pics at a later date.

Didn't try short beltpath yet but will eventually.

I am a CPST. Other CPSTs also witnessed this installation method. ;)

ETA: Tried LATCH in the same seating position - worked great! Still haven't tried SBP, will try it later and update this post.

2003 Honda Civic EX

Outboard passenger side with LATCH - solid installation. Haven't tried seatbelt installation in this vehicle.

Last edited:

MamanMag

2009 Town & Country
Stow n' Go seats

Captain seat: rock solid with LATCH and top Tether

Third row:
  • rock solid with LATCH and Top Tether in the only place you can use a LATCH (between middle seat and outboard driver's side)
    rock solid install with seatbelt SBP and twisting the female buckle once and top tether on the outboard passenger's side

To have a rock solid install, I recline the seats pretty much all the way and then I push them back up until I can't move the car seat. That's the only way it works, especially for the seatbelt install.

I couldn't do the LBP on the 3rd row seats, the belt was too short by about 1" :(

I am not a CPST and will have the seats checked very soon. But they don't move :)

jayamy

I got it to click! I just installed the Frontier in a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder. I had to put all my weight into to to get it to click. But when it clicked, wow, that seat is rock solid, it is not moving at all!

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
2003 Ford Windstar

Driver's side captains chair, LBP, seatbelt. Very good install. Checked by me, I'm a CPST.

I may have tried other configurations, but I can't remember. I no longer have the seat. I doubt SBP would have worked since the buckle stalk sticks up from the seat and is rigid (the Frontier was to replace a Regent that could not be installed SBP with the seat belt because of the buckle stalk).

U

Unregistered in NC

Thank you to everyone who posted tips to successfully install a Britax Frontier! My husband was ready to return the new Frontier we just purchased for our very tall 4yo son. I am not a certified technician, just a very cautious parent. After reading your posts, I tried all the tricks and now have a very solid install in our 2005 Toyota Sienna 7-passenger 2nd row captain's chair. Based on tips from this board, I:
1. pushed seat to last position in track
2. reclined seat fully
3. pulled out seatbelt to full-length and secured with binder clips
4. threaded seatbelt (untwisted) through the long belt path (instructions for this became comprehensible after watching video on YouTube) and buckled it
5. sat in Frontier and pushed down & back simultaneously while tightening first lap-belt portion, then shoulder-belt portion; removed binder clips and made sure all slack removed and seatbelt locked into position
6. pushed seatback up from recline to be very snug against Frontier
7. fastened tether and tightened it

I was unable to begin to tighten straps with LATCH or short-belt path due to position of Frontier with the Sienna's captain chair seat. The long-belt path worked. I think it will go quickly the next time around now that I know how.

When I reinstall the Frontier, I will probably add one of those rubber-backed mats to remove the last degree of slip from the leather captain's chair. We are currently within 1 cm for any "wiggle", but I like it to be rock-solid with not a hair of movement.

Thank you for all the tips!

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
When I reinstall the Frontier, I will probably add one of those rubber-backed mats to remove the last degree of slip from the leather captain's chair. We are currently within 1 cm for any "wiggle", but I like it to be rock-solid with not a hair of movement.

Remember that your seat should be installed correctly (including tight enough) without a rubber mat. If you need a rubber mat to get an acceptable installation, then it's not an acceptable installation. It sounds like your seat might be tight enough without the mat.

Kaede's_Mom

2005 Mazda 3 (5 door hatchback)
Both outboard positions
LATCH w/ top tether
Solid install-not checked

2001 Suburban
Both outboard positions middle row
SBP and top tether
Solid install-not checked

Austins-mama

2008 Range Rover Sport.

Outboard Driver - long belt path - sweat- tears - tantrums - and top tether

Child is over 50lbs so I didn't attempt latch and short belt path wouldn't work.

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
2003 Honda CRV

Both outboard positions with latch.
LBP outboard drivers side.
Tried outboard passenger and due to the recline of the seat the belt was too short for LBP and couldn't get a good install using SBP.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC