Frontier Successful Install Thread

munchkin

I am a CPST.

2009 Ford Mustang

outboard (only position!) - LBP, (no movement side to side, it does move less than 1/2 inch if you pull on the adjuster). Have to really squish the seats down because of the angle of the seats and having the recline bar on the Frontier in correct position.

Will not go very high in booster mode (only into first booster position) due to the slope of the back glass.

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac (the Explorer with a pick-up bed)
outboard- LATCh - rock solid (won't even move, I was so impressed with this EASY install)
-LBP is a no-go, the seat belt is too short

haven't tried SBP, middle or in booster mode (but will sometime)

Last edited:
ADS

jenmann21

Senior Community Member
Late addition. I am a CPST.

2001 Chevy Tahoe (leather seats)

Good install (maybe 1/4 in. movement if I really try)

LBP, 3 full rotations of belt stalk, top tethered.

SBP was a no-go.

Just got it today, so I still need to try the center lap belt install in the Tahoe and the installs in our 2005 Rav-4.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
2007 Acura MDX

Middle row, outboard LBP and LATCH successful. SBP did not work but I didn't try for that long or that hard.

Have not attempted it in the middle row, center position or in the third row yet.

one+twins=chaos

I am not a tech and have not had it checked by a tech yet.

2005 Kia Sedona - 2nd row captain's chair, LBP, I had to recline the seat back to tighten the seat belt and then straighten it but got a nice solid install this way.

cowgirlsmommy

2004 Hyundai Elantra
Installed in center seating position using LBP and tether. Very solid install but did take some practice. I'm not a CPST but I did have it checked and got a :thumbsup:

2000 Pontiac Grand Am
Installed in center seating position using lap belt only so SBP of course and tether. Had to twist the belt stalk but once that was done it was great. Could not install with LBP in outerboard positions due to seat belts being too short.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'm a CPST and the Frontier installs:

2006 Kia Sedona LWB - in every LATCH position, and in every rear seatbelt position with the LBP.

2007 Mazda5, 3rd row - either seat (probably the 2nd row too, but we didn't try it, we were just trying to find compatible seats in the tricky 3rd row).

natysr

I am not a CPST.

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid

Good solid install with LBP in center seating position. (I removed the vehicle headrest before installing it, then put it back on after installing, however, I will need to remove it again as he gets taller and I need to move the frontier headrest up.

Not compatible with SBP.

Have not tried outboard positions as of yet.

2005 Nissan Pathfinder.

Second row outboard. Installs great with LATCH or LBP. Not compatible with SBP.

Center seating position not compatible. Seatbelt is too short for LBP. SBP not compatible. LATCH not allowed in center.

WhatAboutPuppy

2003-Honda Element
Passenger/Driver side rear seat, Long Belt Path only. Short Belt Path wouldn't hold, even with 3 twists on the buckle stock it'd still loosen up. Haven't tried LATCH as my DSS1 is 47 pounds (over LATCH limit).

2000-Subaru Outback
Passenger/Driver side rear seat, Long Belt Path. Short Belt Path seemed to hold also. No LATCH low anchors in this car. Let me know if someone needs center position install. :)

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
2000 Mercury Sable
LBP installs great in all rear seating positions. Center seatbelt is shorter than the outboard seatbelts, so the center install took 2 people to get it buckled.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
2008 Toyota Sienna LBP in all seating positions

Honda Odyssey (newer not sure exact year) 2nd row caption's chair with chair in centerish position. LBP it would slide of the side of the seat toward the door. SBP was rock solid but took a few tricks.~ The female end of the seatbelt is not on the edge of the chair, instead, it is about 5 inches inward and comes out of the seat cushion. I lined the belt path up so that it was even with the female end of the buckle. Tighten belt from the front so that the buckle is inside the belt bath and it works out just fine.

remken

2005 Chevy Impala

Passenger side LBP or latch

Center Latch

Could possible get it installed LBP in center if I had help since the belt is just barely to short in that position.

Also I can get a more upright install using LBP as opposed to using latch.

I didn't try the drivers side but I am assuming it would be the same as the passenger side.

Northriver

I am not a Tech & have not had this checked:

2006 Toyota Rav4, outboard

LATCH/Teather - rock solid, fast easy install
SBP - no
LBP - I couldn't get it solid on my first try but I think with more effort/experience it could be

autumnlily

I'm not a CPST nor have I had this checked - but they were beautiful installs!

2000 Toyota Avalon
rear passenger seat
LBP, very easy and rock solid
did not attempt SBP as it was not needed (no LATCH)

2003 Toyota Corolla
rear passenger seat
LATCH, very easy and rock solid
did not attempt SBP or LBP

kcoin

Subaru Legacy Wagon 2005 sucessful install.
Driver side backseat(of course), LBP. I did not try the center due to the hump..though I think I maybe able to do it now. I had problems with the instructions(and so did the car seat inspector!). I did read them many times and I'm normally good with detailed specs. I did not fully understand the LBP until I watched the video on U-tube. After watching it I went and did a good install within 15min or less! I took it to the officer who is the seat inspector and we did it again(so that he could know how to do it too!:>) and got a good install(not moving a bit!). Yippy!!! No need to twist belt stalks and the belt stalks on 2005 Legacy Wagon are very short(not long as in the older Subarus..ok older than my 2005:>)
Cheers,
Kate

MOM25BOYS

2004 Ford Expedition with 3rd row

2nd Row middle and outboard positions. Used LATCH with both and tethered. Was very easy to install with no issues. Rock solid, but has not be checked by a Tech.;)

3rd Row both outboard position. Both with Lap/Shoulder belts. Passenger side outboard required a SBP and no tether available. Driver side outboard required a LBP install and no tether available in that position either.

I have not tried to install it in the center position, 3rd row yet. I will attempt this in a couple of weeks and will update whether or not it was acceptable. The belt stalks in that position are horrible.

babygirlsmom1005

Not a CPST

1992 Chevrolet Suburban
Shoulder/Lap Belt
Short Belt Path (not enough belt for LBP)

How does it work in all modes? Did you try them?
Works great on both Passanger and Driver Outboard Bench for middle row, nice and tight shake the vehicle install

And the location of the seat.
Drivers Middle Row Bench

ETA: also installs nicely SBP with the Center Middle Row with lap belt

1991 Chevrolet Silverado
Sholder/Lab Belt
Short Belt Path
Passanger Front Seat

Last edited:

Austins-mama

Not a CPST

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Passenger Outboard - long belt path and top tether rock solid - Tech checked.

Center short belt path and top tether rock solid. - not tech checked.

could NOT get it solid using latch and neither could a Tech

2008 Chevy Silverado - extended crew cab

Passanger outboard - long belt path and top tether - rock solid. Not tech checked.

2009 Mitsubishi Galant

Passanger outboard - long belt path and top tether - surprisingly easy to install rock solid. Tech checked.

Short belt path wouldn't work - I haven't attempted latch.

Center position would not work.

ravekiss

I'm not a tech. This install was a trial so was not checked my a tech

Vehicle: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Position: Outboard Behind Driver's Seat
SUCCESS Method: Seatbelt LBP Top Tethered
Final Install: Rock Solid

Short Belt Path DOESNT WORK WELL IMO
I tried installing the Frontier using the SBP in the same position as noted above but even though I did get a rock solid install, the lock on the seatbelt was strained into an untrusting position. There was also a gap between the seat and the vehicle seat. See pic below:

IMG_1877-1.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

Long Belt Path
I had better luck using the LBP but I had to stretch the seatbelt to the max and kneel on the seat with both knees to get it to click into place. Once the seatbelt clicked there was no movement at the belt path at all. The frontier sits very close to the vehicle door though. See installation pics below:

DSC01404.jpg

DSC01405.jpg

DSC01406.jpg

DSC01401.jpg

DSC01402.jpg

DSC01399.jpg

ETA: This vehicle has a lap only belt and no top tether anchor for the middle position so I didnt even bother to try the install there.

I'm sorry I'm trying to resize the pics with no luck.

Last edited:

aeormsby

2007 Saturn Outlook
Does not work in the center seat 2nd row. Seatbelt stalk is fixed and angled too far forward for the SBP, belt is too short for LBP

Installed outboard driver's side with Latch. Fits great. Haven't tried with seatbelt or as a booster yet.

Haven't tried in the 3rd row yet either. I'm assuming the fit passenger side 2nd row will be the same as driver's side. I'll add more info when I get a chance to mess around more.

Ann (not a CPST)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC