WWYD, Travel w/4yr and infant???

kbud

I'm trying to determine the best travel seat option for my 4 year old dd. She is 38lbs and 40 inches. Her travel seat has been a Scenera but at last check she was just level w/the top harness (I'm so sad, it's a great travel seat).

Here's my challenge. My DH works for an airline so we fly stand-by which often means getting on at the last minute. I also intend to fly alone w/both girls. My other dd is 6 months and I have a SS1 for her. Once she outgrows that I'll use the Scenera for her. So I need to be able to handle my 4 year olds seat along w/carrying the baby in the SS1 on the plane alone as well as through the airport while pushing a stroller w/the SS1. The Scenera was a cinch I just hung it off the stroller handle. $ isn't a huge concern but it is a consideration. Here are the options I've come up with:

Ride Safer Travel vest - my dh doesn't think she'll wear it and will be upset not being able to see out the window. I'm not as worried.

Radian - I'd have to wear it as a backpack. I'm worried about the weight of this seat.

Safegaurd Go - I'm not sure how long this option will work. I've heard it's outgrown quickly.

Apex - I just thought of this yesterday. Not sure how heavy it is. This would give us a booster when she outgrew the harness. Although maybe there's a better booster to travel w/.

Booster - Not sure I like this idea since she is only 4 but since we usually don't drive much once we are at out destination I'd consider it. Not sure what one would be good for her. Although lugging a HBB doesn't seem much easier than a Radian or Apex.

Any other options I'm leaving out?

Any other recommendations or thoughts?

Not one of them seems like a great option. Of course I've not seen any of them in person. I've called around and it seems only the Apex is one I can actually see in real life.

Thanks.

Kim

ADS

kimberley-k

As long as your 4 year old will sit and behave nicely using the airplane seatbelt, I'd go with the Safeguard Go. When I researched last year's model, I found that it goes up to 52 inches/60 pounds (for a 60th percentile boy, that is age 8!). Not sure if people's real world experiences have been different.

Are you aware that the Apex cannot be used on board? I would advise against that since it would have to be stowed as cargo and could get damaged.

-Kim

U

Unregistered

I thought the Apex was approved in harness mode.

Thanks for the info about the GO. I didn't realize it may last that long for her. I don't plan on checking it except maybe gatecheck it if I really had to. I was a flight attendant for 9 years so I know how things get thrown around!

She's in a Wizard at home. I can't imagine lugging it around. It would be great to have her harnessed on the plane because she sits better but flying stand by it doesn't always happen since the seating arrangements won't always accommodate it. So that's not a big issue. I'm considering getting a CAREs harness for the plane so she can be restrained and wiggle less. Since we are non-revs I can't have her misbehaving.

Kim

U

Unregistered

Humm, not sure why my reply didn't post. Here it is again.

She's in a Wizard at home. Can't imagine lugging it around alone w/2 kids. But something we could use after she outgrows it would be nice but I think that's putting too many restrictions on the "travel" seat to make that a must.

It would be nice to have her harnessed on the plane but in reality it's not a big deal. I'm considering a CARES harness to keep her restrained and less wiggly. She is an angel flying in her carseat. She needs to be good too since we aren't paying customers.

I thought the Apex could be used on-board in the harness mode? That's interesting about the Safeguard GO. I didn't realize it might last her that long. I do know it's not approved. No, I wouldn't check it (heck I hate checking my bags but I have to when I'm alone w/2 kids). I may gate check it though if I need to. I was a flight attendant for nearly 10 years. I know how the bags are handled!

Thanks.

Kim

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Unregistered users are "moderated" so all their posts must be approved before they appear. We've had a couple of really bad SPAM attacks over the years, so it's a necessary evil to keep those people away.

kimberley-k

I'm sorry, I don't have my Apex manual handy in the next couple days to double check for you if it can be used on an airplane, and you can't access it on their website without knowing your model number and manufacture date. Anybody else out there have an Apex manual handy?

firemomof3

I don't think you can use the Safeguard Go on the plane? It needs to be rear tethered in order to use it, but hopefully someone else can help to clear that up.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Can't use a Safeguard Go on a plane because it requires tethering. However, it's compact enough to stow in the overhead bin so you shouldn't have to check it. The Apex is approved for use in aircraft (with the harness) but it may be too wide to fit in a standard coach seat.

How about a Go for the land vehicle(s) and a CARES harness for the plane?

Kecia

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
To keep her restrained on the plane too...what about a Radian65? Could you stow it in the basket under the stroller? At the very least you could get the straps so you can wear it like a backpack.

Susan

csma

We have a Radian, and I won't lie, it's heavy. But the shape and the distribution of the weight make it pretty easy to carry on my back. It's great for FF on the plane, easy to install in the seat, and DD can use the tray table. It's on sale at Albeebaby.com for $169.99.

It's downfall is that it can be difficult to install using a seatbelt in some vehicles.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC