WWYD? I took two Britax seats

ktmo

We have a little thrift store in town and there were two Britax seats piled up by the door. There was a sign clearly stating that you are not suppose to drop off items when they are closed. There also was a sign that stated the store would not be open until after the new year. It is raining out, so they are a little wet.

One is a Roundabout (blue base) DOM 1999. So, I will destroy that one.

One is a Marathon (DOM) 2004.

Now, I am feeling guilty for taking them. But I didn't want someone else to take them and use them, or for the store to sell them. Do I destroy the Marathon also? Do I contact the store and tell them what I did and see if they want the Marathon? I wouldn't feel comfortable with someone using the seat without knowing the history of the seat.

Katie

Katie

ADS

Stretchy Glue

I wouldn't use it for my child, but it would be good for training purposes. You can't trust it because you know nothing about the history, but you can use an old seat for training. Is there a local SafeKids chapter that might have a use for it for demonstration?

Mama!

Well, the rain would've mildewed them. And one needed to be destroyed anyway.

I'd use them for training.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I would have left them there, but only because my town has a real problem with people stealing things that have been dropped off for the thrift stores, and the police will actually arrest you if you get caught!

Although, if I was there dropping stuff off anyway and thought I could toss them in my van without anyone noticing...

I certainly wouldn't feel guilty about taking them, though. Not unless I took them and sold them!

Ashley_R

Defrost, that was my concern too! Our local 'chain' thrift stores (goodwill, salvation army, etc) all have cameras around the donation area even if the signs say not to drop off items after closing. Hopefully, they are those just for looks not real type to scare people off!

I would destroy the marathon or use it for training. You dont know anything about its history. Depending on the cover pattern I might clean the cover up and sell it since there are some that are highly sought after. But then i would pitch the seat.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Depending on the cover pattern I might clean the cover up and sell it since there are some that are highly sought after. But then i would pitch the seat.

If I did sell the covers, I'd go back and donate the money I made to the store. The person who dropped them off intended for that charity to benefit from the seats. :twocents:

lovinwaves

I would take them back to the store and be honest with them. When bringing them back in I would be honest with them about the expired one, and your concerns with it being left out in the rain. I would bring some printed material with you regarding expired seats.

The person that dropped them off might be expecting to see them in the store if they come back and shop there themselves. They might be surprised that they have already sold, ask the clerk, and found out they never reached inside the store. Then, the whole "stealing" issue will come up.

My local thrift store had a few expired seats the other day for sale. I told the clerk about how expired seats should be destroyed and he took them and threw them in the dumpster. He also thanked me for my info :)

RubysGirl

I'd contact them, tell them what you did, and why. Sell the covers, and donate the money to them, along with print ups of the auctions. They'll be getting a whole lot more out of the deal than if they tried to sell two mildewy seats.

ktmo

Thanks for all of your ideas. This is not one of those big chain thrift stores. It is just a local store that is only open a few days a week. They aren't even open again until Jan. 10th. So, the seats could have been sitting there until then. I thought about the legal ramifications, the whole stealing thing, but wouldn't that apply to the person who left them there. That would be littering or something.

I thought about selling the covers, but they are disgusting. I don't think I could clean them up enough to sell. I wouldn't want to use them for my children, or anyone else's.

I guess in the end, I am glad that they are in my hands, rather than in a car being used.

Katie

jaded

Chances are, the Marathon was under a recall too, I know my 2004 was recalled for the harness adjuster(I've fixed it of course)

None of my local thrift stores will sell carseats anymore. If they get any in, they go straight into the trash.

vamom

In my area the thrift stores will not accept seats either. Even once upon a child stopped. Of course this makes yard sale seats even more sought after. I never understood this, since the scenera is under $40 at walmart and a ff/booster combo is too. Plus the pd, health dept, and xmas store give out seats as well. The only thing that isn't free are the high weight seats.

RubysGirl

Thanks for all of your ideas. This is not one of those big chain thrift stores. It is just a local store that is only open a few days a week. They aren't even open again until Jan. 10th. So, the seats could have been sitting there until then. I thought about the legal ramifications, the whole stealing thing, but wouldn't that apply to the person who left them there. That would be littering or something.

I thought about selling the covers, but they are disgusting. I don't think I could clean them up enough to sell. I wouldn't want to use them for my children, or anyone else's.

I guess in the end, I am glad that they are in my hands, rather than in a car being used.

Katie

Throw them in the washer on gentle cycle, you'll be amazed what comes out, especially if they're plush.

Ashley_R

I agree with ruby's girl, try washing them! I had a really nasty cosco come into a check station that's cover was dirty but not damaged that I decided to try to wash since I have the same seat and a ripped cover and sure enough it came clean! If a cosco comes clean I think a britax will!

Oh and Defrost is right if you do manage to get the covers clean and can sell them I would definitely donate the money! I hadnt even thought of that but its a good idea and makes for good karma! (I would hope karma would believe removing expired seats is a good thing but maybe it thinks its a conspiracy by the car seat people too!)

TXAggieTech

I have grabbed expired seat left next to the charity box in a parking lot. I have never seen a non-expired one so I don't know what I would do. Probably the same thing as you in the same situation. About selling the covers, I would pass the money back to the greater good somehow.

ktmo

Okay, I think the Marathon cover might have some life left in it. I have it soaking in the tub right now, and it actually is looking better. The Roundabout cover was torn in several places, so that just went in the trash. I like the idea about selling the cover and giving the money back to the store. I think I will do that.

I drove by the store this morning and the other stuff that was left was still there. I am glad I picked them up, because they either would have sat there until January or someone else would have taken them and maybe used them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC