WWYD!?!?! Frontier 90 too wide!

#1babysitter

Okay so I just bought a Frontier 90 for the 4 year old I'm a nanny for. She was in a FR 85 in the center of my backseat. Her almost 2 yr old brother is RF in a XTSL next to her and the other little boy (2.5) I have is also RF in a XTSL. She isn't close to outgrowing the FR 85 I just bought the 90 because of the front harness adjuster and the other awesome features. Sadly the FR 90 is wider at the cup holders than the 85 is so I can only fit one RF Radian next to it. So basically I have to turn the 2.5 year old FF in his Radian or return the FR 90. What should I do??????? Gahhh I really love this seat and of course it messes things up!

ADS

Brianna

There is no way I can get either boy into a RF middle seat. And I need the 4 year old next to her brother so she can wake him if he falls asleep because he won't nap at home if he does.

The older one could climb in and you could buckle him from the front seat... but if the 4 year old needs to be center then I would print a return label in the next 30 seconds and send the FR90 back. I wouldn't turn a child FF just so I could keep a new, cool seat, no matter how much I like the new seat :)

nannykates

I might try installing one more time to see if you can get it but this time instead of installing center out go left to right (or right to left) start with the outboard side away from the center buckle stalk intall radian irking it as far towards the door as you can (try closing the door and installing from the center seat) then the frontier smushed as far towards the 1st radian as the seatbelt will allow then the last radian.

Maybe you've already tried this but thought I would mention it anyway!

#1babysitter

The older one could climb in and you could buckle him from the front seat... but if the 4 year old needs to be center then I would print a return label in the next 30 seconds and send the FR90 back. I wouldn't turn a child FF just so I could keep a new, cool seat, no matter how much I like the new seat :)

I didn't buy it just because it's cool I bought it because I have a super hard time installing the FR85 with the long belt path in the center and for the no re thread harness adjuster. I do daycare pick up for a 3 yr old and he sits in the 4 yr olds FR85 and honestly the harness is way to high for him on her setting but it would be a complete PITA to uninstall it to adjust it for him then back for the 4 yr old the next morning.

Brianna

I didn't buy it just because it's cool I bought it because I have a super hard time installing the FR85 with the long belt path in the center and for the no re thread harness adjuster. I do daycare pick up for a 3 yr old and he sits in the 4 yr olds FR85 and honestly the harness is way to high for him on her setting but it would be a complete PITA to uninstall it to adjust it for him then back for the 4 yr old the next morning.

Sorry, your OP made it seem that way. As long as you can pass the pinch test with the 3 year old in the seat I wouldn't adjust the height.

EmmaGrace'sMom

December. He is big though. Almost 35 pounds and 38 inches. My siggy isn't updated. His legroom is getting so cramped in the RF Radian.
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't have a problem with FF a 2.5yo. I let DD2 go FF at 2.5 in the sitters car so the two oldest would have a path to get in when being picked up from school...and I just turned her FF at a month before 3. She was getting to be too much for me to load in the car, in the FR90 she can climb in herself.

Athena

As long as you can pass the pinch test with the 3 year old in the seat I wouldn't adjust the height.

They are only a year apart in age? I'm wondering how big the difference in height is because my kids are almost 2 year apart in age, yet I put my younger DD in the FR85 adjusted for older DD all the time. It is higher than it needs to be, but I was told it was completely fine to do. On the other hand, that was one thing that was tempting about the 90, the ability to have it lower for DD2 and supposedly a better fit for her. Plus, that would mean the had rest would be lower, right, giving me better visability. So if you end up with this ... But I totally get wanting the easier install. I had to reinstall two FR85s a few days ago and the whole time I was thinking, why didn't I order the 90?!

ETA: How do the kid's parents feel about him being FFing?

#1babysitter

They are only a year apart in age? I'm wondering how big the difference in height is because my kids are almost 2 year apart in age, yet I put my younger DD in the FR85 adjusted for older DD all the time. It is higher than it needs to be, but I was told it was completely fine to do. On the other hand, that was one thing that was tempting about the 90, the ability to have it lower for DD2 and supposedly a better fit for her. Plus, that would mean the had rest would be lower, right, giving me better visability. So if you end up with this ... But I totally get wanting the easier install. I had to reinstall two FR85s a few days ago and the whole time I was thinking, why didn't I order the 90?!

ETA: How do the kid's parents feel about him being FFing?

The 3 (just turned) and 4 year old are just a little more than a year apart but the 4 year old has a super long torso and the 3 year old is tall for his age but in the legs not his torso.

The parents don't care about them being FF. The 2.5 yr old whom I might turn FF has been FF in his parents cars since he was 1.

#1babysitter

I might try installing one more time to see if you can get it but this time instead of installing center out go left to right (or right to left) start with the outboard side away from the center buckle stalk intall radian irking it as far towards the door as you can (try closing the door and installing from the center seat) then the frontier smushed as far towards the 1st radian as the seatbelt will allow then the last radian.

Maybe you've already tried this but thought I would mention it anyway!

I tried this and it worked!! YAY!! I can fit 2 rear facing Radians beside it. Thanks so much!!!

Meg

Would you do me a huge favor? Could you measure how wide they are across? From on side of the radian to the other?

You asked me off CSO about puzzling the FR 90 and RA 50, so I'm posting a pic here, since it's easiest.. ;)
The two seats puzzle into each other about 1.5-2 inches or so. Here is a view from directly over top:

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC