Would you take your tech course at 34 weeks pregnant ? Or wait ?

Would you take the course at 34 weeks pregnant

• I'd take it

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I'd wait

Votes: 16 84.2%

• Total voters
ADS

Kellyr2

I said I'd wait, and I based that answer on the fact that I'm almost 35 weeks right now and I deal with our carseats as little as possible. I'd be fine playing around with infant seats and lightweight convertibles/combos, but I wouldn't deal with the MA or Husky any more than I have to. Of course, its also summer right now, and that makes a difference (and I don't know what August is like up there, but here in NC its dang hot! LOL)
IF there was a class available right now, I really don't think I'd do it. But then again - if I could get childcare, and the class was IN my town... i might would. Because I checked the schedule the other day and the next one in our town isn't until next march I think - and the baby will just be 6 months old then and I'm not a "pump and leave the baby" kind of mom - at least not at that age, and not every day for a week (if I needed to for a day or so, sure, but not for a week).
So - I guess it really just depends. I really really want to get certified, so if there were a class today, I might would do it... but there's not and I don't have anyone to watch the kids anyway, so its not an option.
OH - and how cold will it be there, then? I"m a wuss when it comes to cold, so I wouldn't want to do it in the dead of winter, either LOL. My poor little fingers get cold and even in the mild southern winters, i've had times where I was trying to install the seats and got frustrated because it was "cold" and that makes it harder for us wusses.
I'm a lot of help, huh? LOL
Okay, how about this - in mild weather, at 34 weeks, if that was the only time a course was available, I'd probably do it, but I'd be a bit nervous about the fact that lifting lots of seats in and out of vehicles would be hard for me to do and I'd hate to make other people do that part for me... AND that in smaller vehicles, I'd have a harder time wedging myself in the car to do the installation. In my minivan, I can install just fine, because there's plenty of room, but I'd have a harder time in a smaller car.
(BTW - I homebirth and sell natural stuff, too!)

Lea_Ontario

:(

I just spoke with the instructor, and she basically said that it would be a no-go for me because I told her I am not willing to leave a newborn to do my practical experience in the spring.

Tara

I say...if you feel up to it, go for it. If you're feeling 'blah' now and are prone to feeling 'blah' at that time in your pregnancy, then maybe not a good idea.

But if it were me and I was feeling fine thus far...I'd do it. That sounds better to me than leaving a newborn to do the next class.

Just think about your previous pregnancies..how 'fit' did you feel about that time with them? How does how you feel *now* compare to how you did to previous pregnancies at this same time? If it sounds like a go...go :)

melaniev

no way - doesnt your back hurt enough ;)?

(at the same time, i imagine you're wondering how you're going to get it in after the baby's born)

Lea_Ontario

My back is fine - it's my pelvis that is painful. The SI joints are already inflammed, and the pubic symphsys is starting to seperate - it's NOT a comfortable feeling.

I'm basically off the list of potential techs for at least a year now :(

The course itself isn't so much a problem, but the practical portion is (need 10 installs) and then the installs through the year to maintain certification.

I will NOT leave an infant under a year for a day to do the course, nor for even an afternoon to work at a check-point (usually 12 to 4 here, once a month).

Kellyr2

I will NOT leave an infant under a year for a day to do the course, nor for even an afternoon to work at a check-point (usually 12 to 4 here, once a month).
Yep - I'm the same. i want the course, but its not as high on the priority list as being with the baby. The ONLY time I left Mikayla was when my SIL needed me to be with her for her L&D. That was at 8 months and was the only time I left her for more than an hour or two. (and the hour or two was usually just at church where I could drop in to nurse her when I needed to) (And with Aaric, I worked, and he was FF'ed, so it wasn't as much of an issue)
So i also figure its going to be at least a year now before I can get my cert. I wish i'd been able to get it earlier this year!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'm the same way -- was willing to take the course when she was 2 but just didn't trust anyone to watch her that long yet (my parents were OK, but they were already at their max watching her when I studied).... So, it wasn't until she was 4 that I finally made the class :rolleyes:

melaniev

wow you 2 are both due like any day now ... how exciting! ;) ever feel surrounded by are mama's-to-be? i have *at least* 3 pregnant friends IRL.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
No way! I did mine at 8 wks pg and that enough. lol I can't imagine getting in and out of cars w/ the SPD (mine is starting to act up again, yay), let alone the heat. I do have a check planned on Oct 28th if I haven't had the baby yet. I figure, what a better way to get things going than to check a bunch of seats?! hahaha DH told me I can't go, but he'll be wanting me to have the baby by then to so I'll be quiet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC