Would you feel safe buying Triumph Advance?

LuvMyGirls

Re: CR's 'more realistic' 70 mph testing--

Something like 97% of crashes occur at speeds LESS than 30 mph; while we might travel on roads with 55+ mph speed limits on a daily basis, the VAST majority of crashes statistically do not happen at those speeds.

So while it might reassure us that some seats don't fall apart in a 70 mph test, it's important to note that it's unrealistic to expect a seat to perform perfectly in extreme crashes, like a 70 mph crash. Crashes like that, while they make headlines, are not "the norm".
Wow, I didn't realize that that high of a percentage of crashes are at that low of speeds. I guess I've just been so bothered by hearing that a seat that passes the 30 mph testing didn't hold up to 30.8 mph testing. I would really like to hear that my children's seats could at least stay together at 50 mph or so.

My husband's father and grandmother were killed in a head-on collision almost 12 years ago. Fil had just backed out of a driveway and gotten the car straight when a pickup truck running about 45 mph straightened out an almost 90 degree curve in the four lane hwy with a 30 mph speed limit. They were both killed instantly. I guess that experience is why I worry about higher speed crashes.

ADS

southpawboston

\So while it might reassure us that some seats don't fall apart in a 70 mph test, it's important to note that it's unrealistic to expect a seat to perform perfectly in extreme crashes, like a 70 mph crash. Crashes like that, while they make headlines, are not "the norm".

right, i mentioned that because of all the above rhetoric about wanting seats to not only "meet" but "exceed" government standards. so if one wants an example of a carseat that would seem to clearly do so with flying colors, there you have it...

it's basically impossible to know how ANY carseat performs at speeds above the standardized test speeds, since they are not tested at anything but the standardized test speed (unless you're CR ;)). one seat that performs *better* than another seat at the standard test speed may in fact perform worse at a higher speed. there's just no way of knowing.

Wineaux

right, i mentioned that because of all the above rhetoric about wanting seats to not only "meet" but "exceed" government standards. so if one wants an example of a carseat that would seem to clearly do so with flying colors, there you have it...

it's basically impossible to know how ANY carseat performs at speeds above the standardized test speeds, since they are not tested at anything but the standardized test speed (unless you're CR ;)). one seat that performs *better* than another seat at the standard test speed may in fact perform worse at a higher speed. there's just no way of knowing.

Of course there is a way of knowing... You test at multiple speeds and release all of the test results.

I'm really sorry, but when a manufacturer knows that their seat literally disintegrates at a mere 0.8 mph over the minimum Federal standards, and then knowingly sells those seats to the public, then I have a SERIOUS problem with their integrity and trustworthiness. If it was 5-15 mph, then I could understand, but 0.8? That's just statistically insignificant... Not only does their seat fail at a statistically insignificant variance from the minimum Federal standards, but it catastrophically fails! Couple that with their complete contempt and arrogance towards the consumer, and you have a recipe for disaster.

natysr

Wow, I didn't realize that that high of a percentage of crashes are at that low of speeds. I guess I've just been so bothered by hearing that a seat that passes the 30 mph testing didn't hold up to 30.8 mph testing. I would really like to hear that my children's seats could at least stay together at 50 mph or so.

My husband's father and grandmother were killed in a head-on collision almost 12 years ago. Fil had just backed out of a driveway and gotten the car straight when a pickup truck running about 45 mph straightened out an almost 90 degree curve in the four lane hwy with a 30 mph speed limit. They were both killed instantly. I guess that experience is why I worry about higher speed crashes.

I too would like to see how seats perform at high speeds. I can say from personal experience though that we were going 55 - 60 MPH in a compact car and t-boned an f-150 at that speed. We had a britax roundabout installed in the center back seat, rearfacing, seatbelt install and there was not one bit of visible damage to the seat. No cracks, no stress bends, marks..nothing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC