Wizard Trouble...again

mamato2

OK, I'm going to make this quick hoping to get some answers before calling Britax...
About a year ago I took my dd's WIZ out to look into a harness adjusting problem. While it was out I realized that the seat did NOT click into upright position. I sent the seat back, they gave me a new base and returned it to me with an additional 1 yr warranty on the base.
This weekend I took the seat out (its been installed rf ever since, never removed) intending to turn it ff. It once again DOES NOT stay in the upright position!!!! :mad: I DID install it 'upright' ff but don't like that it is not 'clicked' into that position and worry that it isn't safe.
SO I looked up my paperwork for the repair (so as to talk to Britax today) and found that it was dated 11/29/05!!!! :rolleyes: I have only a few days to use the extended 1 yr warrenty to get it 'fixed' or to figure out what might be the problem.
RECAP:
This seat has ONLY ever been used rf. I took it out once and it didn't work, they relaced the base and it has been installed rf for 1 yr, never being moved until the other day and then again it didn't stay in the upright postion.
WHAT GIVES??? Didn't some others have this problem? I looked through back posts but couldn't find any. :confused:
I WILL call Britax today, but don't want to spend another $30 on shipping if the base is actually ok...I mean it is practically brand new having only been adjusted a few times
Thanks in advance,
C.

ADS

my3girls

Here is a post I had about my Marathon (not sure if it's the same on a Wiz) A few posts down I give the method I used to "fix" mine and other people have ideas too, HTH!!

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
I had that problem with my Marathon. I don't know if the bases are the same, but this is how I fixed it...

Turn the seat so that the it is laying on the floor with the harness/seat side on the floor. Stand so that the base is in front of you. Hold the seat still with one hand and pull the base forward with the other. I got it click into place that way.

I took pictures of how to do it...let me go find those...BRB...ETA..Sorry, I can't find the pictures! Let me know if you'd like me to take more!

mamato2

Thanks for the tip. I will have to wait until dh is home (?? usually late :( ) and bring the seat in. Luckily it is in his car and rarely used by dd but that also means I don't often have access to it since it's at work with him all day!
Britax is next on my list of 'things to do' today, we'll see what they have to say :rolleyes: .
C.

BlueDragon

I had this happen with a Wizard last week. In fact, I left work in the middle of the day to drive to DH's work to re-install the seats as I knew we had been sloppy recently (they had been out and used for travel). I don't know if it's an option for you to go to his work to do this. The advantage is that you can do it in the daylight, which I find helps when look for the latch connectors and so on.

When I took the Wizard out, I noticed that it was reclined, so I put it straight up, and it didn't click. In my case, all I had to do was play with it a little bit until it clicked in place. I think I had it pretty much flipped over at one point like another poster mentioned.

Good luck, I hope you can get it to click.

mamato2

I haven't been able to get through to Britax at all today..constant busy signal. I WILL take the seat out tonight and either 'play' with it tonight or just keep it home with me tomorrow and work on it then. Blue Dragon, good point about installing it in daylight! :)
Any tech's have any thoughts on installing a seat in the upright position without hearing the seat 'click' into place? I imagine for regular use the seatbelt will keep it in the upright position, but in an accident? I wouldn't want the seat to 'slide' into recline position suddenly.
C.

mamato2

Update to Wizard Woes

Spoke to someone at Britax today. They are e-mailing me a label to ship the seat back to be looked at. She said they would either repair the seat or replace it with something 'comparable'. :)
I am happy they will do this, shipping for the seats must be astronomical, but last time it cost almost $30 just to get a box and some packing peanuts!! :eek:
She kept saying , 'Any box it will fit in, any box'. So they aren't too concerned about it being in there snug, but I am!! I guess I'll go box hunting...
It's just too bad. The seat is in pristine condition, having been used on average once a month for about a year!!!!
Would it be a Boulevard that they'd replace it with you think? DD is 5 (smidge over 30#) and a Regent would be LOVELY but the seat is for a '95 Camry and I like the SIP. If they give me a choice (??) what would you choose? :confused:
C.

hsjwmom

Just a note on the box, a member here got a UHaul dishbarrel box for $5 to ship a Bodyguard to me. I don't have the box anymore, but it seemed big enough to hold a Wizard.

Splash

I shipped them a RA in a standard box. It cost me $13 UPS from FL. The base would not recline, and they sent an entire new seat. The seat was already 3+ years old, well out of warranty. Thirteen bucks (actually I think UPS billed me later for another ten for it being oversized) got me a brand new Roundabout!

crystal vowell

I shipped them a RA in a standard box. It cost me $13 UPS from FL. The base would not recline, and they sent an entire new seat. The seat was already 3+ years old, well out of warranty. Thirteen bucks (actually I think UPS billed me later for another ten for it being oversized) got me a brand new Roundabout!

Just curious do you remember the dom.

Splash

No I don't. It was a 2003, with the old style base and puzzle buckle and I hate hate hated it. I had a SERIOUS hate affair with the RA for a long time. Even now I can't say I love it, but it's okay. We got it from a friend (along with a PP infant seat that I also hated with a passion) because we had an overnight foster placement and NO seats (we've since learned our lesson and have a dozen seats on hand). I replaced the RA with an Evenflo Titan and then a Marathon. The PP I replaced with a Titan and gave it to some other poor sap to deal with.

mamato2

Thanks for the tips on the box situation! Last time I went to a local Post Net and bought a box. Then they stuffed it with peanuts.
Part of the problem is ..the seat flops over since it won't stay in upright position!! That makes either the box bow out and fall over, or I need a huge box!! A dish crate might be heavier though and solve the problem :).
I think there is a U-Haul place or two around here, I'll have to check them out.
I just can't figure how 1 yr ago they put a brand new base on it and it worked, the seat sat in the car for a year and when taken out the base again does not work!! I can see it on a cheaper seat, but gee.....
C.

mamato2

Splash, what do you mean by 'standard box'? Did you add packing material? (I was afraid to leave the seat 'banging' around loose) I like the idea of strapping it upright if I can get it to do that. I might use rope though if I need to, not sure about tape. It is such a heavy seat, tape might not work...also if the seat DOES come back I don't want sticky tape residue on it :rolleyes:
Watch me strap that seat in an upright position and have it arrive 'cured' from being forced into position :p .
C.

abacus2

You might try posting on your local freecycle or craigslist that you're looking for a Britax Marathon or Decathlon or Boulevard box and then you'd have a box that fits well.

mamato2

Hmmm, that makes me think too of calling a store that sells Britax seats to see whether they have any boxes. Thanks! I have only 9 days now to get a box and ship it out so whatever gets me a box quickest :) .
C.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC