Winter coats

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I know it's advized that children be buckled into their seats without bulky clothing ... I'm just curious how people manage this during the coldest winter months? Any tips for a mom who takes her toddler on many daily errands about town in an area that reaches negative 45 degrees some days???
THANKS

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
We're in Germany now in a valley that has much milder winters than Iowa, where I grew up. What I've done for the few really cold days we've encountered here, and what I plan to do again when we get back to the US, is to dress my kids in layers. I have them wear a (relatively) thin polar fleece jacket under their down coats. When we get in the car, they take off the coat and the fleece jacket keeps them warm until the car heats up. If it's SUPER cold, they'll put their coats on backward after their buckled in.

Sometimes, I can get a good fit by unzipping their coat, buckling them in, then rezipping the coat over the top of the straps.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah, that's what I was thinking & that's more or less what we did when she was younger ... however, now she's getting into picking out her own clothes & starting to dressing herself -- we go on so many errands [I work full time & she is with me so we automatically get to take advantage of any excuse to get out of the building: post office, banking, lunch run, etc.], I just know there will be days she will decide on some non-winter-friendly outfits & we have so many ice cold days here in a row. I wonder why it is so important to take her coat off, but I can keep mine on? Now that I have heated seats I take mine off anyway, but she's rear-facing & doesn't get all the heat from up front. Hmmm, I seem to remember someone had a baby-sized down blanket when my daughter was tiny ... maybe that would be good, assuming I can find one & afford it, too. Knowing our time constraints & my daughter's temperament for the car to begin with, I forsee there being days when the only I'll be able to get her to sit in the seat at all is if she can wear her coat -- she's a coat fanatic! *SIGH* I mean, what exactly is the risk & should I let myself worry so much if there are days that she just ends up wearing her coat in the seat???
THANKS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC