Who takes care of the seats?

Which parent takes care of the carseats?

• Mom

Votes: 101 80.8%
  • Dad

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Both equally

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Clicky box!

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters

shauburg

From my IRL experience with friends and family, I'd say moms do more of the shopping/choosing, while dads do more of the installing.

Therefore I've given many friends and family members advice on choosing a seat because moms (in general) like to ask other moms for advice. This also means I've hardly ever checked any friends or family members seat installations, because dads (in general) tend not to ask others, especially women, for "technical" advice. :rolleyes:

ADS

sparkyd

Definitely Mom (me) in our house. I'm the researcher and instruction reader and there is no way I was going to let DH install our car seats without me at least present to ensure instructions were being followed. For our bucket I installed it myself and just got him to add some muscle to the process to get the base in tighter. With our Marathon I installed it wrong at first and adding his muscle to the situation made it worse. He was ready to go all "engineer" on me and rig something to make it look right (to his eye) without ever even asking for the instruction manual. That was when I found this site. :love: Once I corrected my mistake I installed it myself no problem and have never asked for his help with an install since.

Now I just have to check on the seat in his truck every now and then to make sure everything is being done properly with buckling DS in. Like a couple of weeks ago when I discovered he had moved up to a higher harness height on our True Fit (the down side of no re-thread harness adjustment - too easy :thumbsdown:). I quickly explained the "at-or below the shoulders" rule (RF) and I'm hoping he'll ask first before he goes messing with the seat next time.

So, yeah, definitely my department!

Melizerd

hmm I said mom because I think mom probably cleans the carseat. For installation though probably the Dads. I hear SOOO many women say "I'm not strong enough to put the seat in, or I can't get it tight enough". We all know that your size doesn't matter.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
At seat checks I definitely see more dad's installing seats. Most of the mom's say that did the installing.

In our family I have always done the installing, even when I wasn't very good at it! Dh is not so mechanical and I'm pretty, ummmm, particular?

rodentranger

Why, when I am 8 months pregnant and miserable, would I install the car seat when my husband is perfectly capable? I don't get it...We have a seat in both cars (he installed both) and neither seat has been moved since they were first installed.

When she moves up to a convertible in the next few months, sure I'm up for installing it,,,but for anyone to infer that myself (or any other pregnant woman who let's their husband install the car seat) is in the wrong, is way out of line. :twocents:

I doubt she was trying to imply that a PG woman letting her DH install the seat is wrong. I think she was just defending techs who successfully teach a PG woman how to easily install a seat.
Yes, thank you. I was not implying that it is wrong to let DH install the seat. But to say that a pg can't install a seat is incorrect also. I think it is easier for some women in some cars. I drive a mid-size SUV, DH drives a small commuter. Installing in his car was definitely not fun! If I felt like DH would install it to my obsessive standards, I would have had him do it. But "good enough" isn't, in my book.

Kat_Momof3

I have installed seats in my 3rd trimester, too... and I'm no small thing to start with.

I just meant that most techs will, if the pregnant woman doesn't want to because of being in discomfort or unable to squeeze in the vehicle that way or whatever reason, be more accomodating and let them have their hubbies learn to or, if they are alone, just encourage them to bring it back to learn how once baby is born.

I've seen many a tiny woman in her third trimester look like she was going to fall backwards just walking with her purse... let alone trying to install a carseat, carrying a carseat, or managing other kids.

everyone is different and I've heard on this (and other boards) of techs not making pregnant ladies in their third (and some even in their second) trimester install the bases/seats (second would be for more high risk pregnancies, twins, etc.)

Twinklefae

I do, as Dh doesn't care. I had him and my FIL do my infant bucket, and they added a strap to keep the front from wiggling.

I also do my friend's as her DH as did her seat wrong and she doesn't feel she has the strength. (and I like playing with seats)

debbiemomof2

I researched, selected, and installed all our carseats. Dh is not mechanically inclined and can't read instructions to save his life. One of our cars it is easy to install carseats in, the other I have to get a bit of help from dh to get the seatbelt/latch strap tight enough.

My brother/sil were both involved and able to install their kids' carseats.

elle7715

DH has never chosen, installed, or adjusted a carseat. Ever.
When I was pregnant with DD I installed it once I was 36 weeks and off of bedrest. We had to take it out when we moved because we needed to use the whole backseat. Go figure, I had her soon after we moved and the carseat wasn't installed. After we were discharged DH waited with her inside the hospital while I installed it in the freezing cold with a 3rd degree episiotomy (thanks idiot doctor :mad:).
I assemble everything though. Entertainment centers, baby gear, bookshelves, toys...you name it. DH readily admits he can't understand directions well. I think some moms are intimidated by that stuff but really, everyone should know how to install the carseat. It's not a one time installation, you will have to move it eventually, and both parents should know how. At least that's what I keep telling DH. :rolleyes:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I put dad. I hear that more than anything else 'well, my DH is in charge of, he put it, etc'. I think mom may have more say in which seat to get (based on patterns alone, that's how we chose for #1), but dad puts it in etc.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I put dad. I hear that more than anything else 'well, my DH is in charge of, he put it, etc'. I think mom may have more say in which seat to get (based on patterns alone, that's how we chose for #1), but dad puts it in etc.

That's what I was thinking. Judging by people's posts, I don't think I phrased my poll question well enough, though. :eek: I think most people answered for what's true in their *own* household, not for what they think the rest of the world does.

I find it interesting that, judging by this site, when parents decide to go beyond the manual and Consumer Reports, they seem to be mostly women.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I give pg moms the option of putting the seat in by themselves, if they are single most will do it. Those who are married and just have no DH there, are about 50/50 and very few w/ DH's there take me up on that offer. I did my last check when I was 38 wks pg w/ Ilana (though I was mostly a teacher to a new tech) so I know some moms are capable of doing it, especially for first baby in a car etc. I put 2 seats in today and about killed myself doing it and I did NOT feel well afterwards. One was in my 3rd row which is extremely hard to get to right now for me and I almost cried doing it, but no one was there to help me so I had no choice (except not taking it out in the first place). I will NOT be climbing into cars at our check next month, I didn't do much last month either. I like to talk more than get into the cars anyways, it was actually nice having a partner last time. ;)

Irishmama

Me, all me. Dh doesn't even pay attention to when the kids have outgrown their seats :rolleyes: I have to check how they are buckled in when we go places, because even after almost FIVE years of buckling our kids into seats, he only gets the chest clip or tightens the straps right about 75% of the time. And forget reading the manual for anything, especially installs. Sigh.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC