Who should sit in the front seat? No headrest, no shoulder belt.

U

Unregistered

We are leaving on a 5,000+ mile cross-country trip in two weeks. There will be six of us (two adults and four kids) traveling in a Dodge Ram truck. I am really struggling with who to put in the front-middle seat.

The kids are as follows:
13-year-old, 100+ pounds, 5'7"
11-year-old, 85 pounds, 5'2"
10-year-old, 60 pounds, 4'5" (rides in a high-back booster)
4-year-old, 30 pounds, 3'4" (newly forward facing in 5-point harness)

The front, middle seat is the type where the back folds down for an armrest when not used as a seat. There is only a lap belt on this seat and no headrest. The passenger airbag can be turned off.

I feel like the obvious choice is to put the oldest/biggest child in the middle-front, but the lack of headrest and shoulder belt concerns me and I wonder if turning off the passenger airbag and having the 4-year-old in her carseat in the front would be safer "overall."

I realize that there just isn't a good option in this case, but we HAVE to take this trip and we HAVE to take this vehicle. Please no judgement, just looking for opinions.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Please put the four year old up front, and leave the airbag on. You need the airbag. Just move the seats as far back as possible.

Make sure there are headrests for everyone who needs them in the back.

Wendy

mping

Definitely put the car seat there so that person has head support! No booster rider or non-booster rider should be sitting with a lap belt and no head rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U

Unregistered

Thank you for the quick responses.

I feel most comfortable with the 4-year-old up front, as well. I appreciate the input.

Keeanh

Is the middle back seat also a lap belt only though? Just guessing because the front middle is.

Dodge has always had a middle lap belt up front, even after they put a shoulder belt in the back. Same with Chevy / GM. I was assuming there was a shoulder belt in the back since OP didn't mention it as a problem.

OP, please let us know if you do in fact have a lap belt in the back seat as well!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC