Which infant seats go up to 35 lbs?

equilibrium

None is stock on any webpage I look at. Wondering what infant seats in Canada go up to 35 lbs and any word on the new ones that might come in soon for 2012 regs?

Much appreciated!

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Graco SnugRide 35
The First Years Via (also sold under the Lamaze name)
Evenflo SecureRide 35
Evenflo Embrace 35

I've been told the 2012 SnugRide 35's are coming to TRU/BRU in November/December. The 2012 Via's are coming in January 2012 for TRU/BRU and I think the 2 Evenflo seats are in stock there already. The Evenflos meet the 2012 regulations.

The Via is also sold at a few independent baby retailers in Canada. You could call/email Learning Curve to find out where. Those should have shipped already so I think they may be in store already. Zellers has the Via on a travel system with a cheap, crappy stroller for $229.

The 2012 Peg Perego Primo Viaggio will now go to 30# in Canada, but I am not sure of when it will be released.

equilibrium

I was just looking at the Via online and it says up to 35 lbs with the base. Without the base only to 22 lbs. I wonder if the other ones are similar?

Also, I noticed the Snugride 35 goes up to 32". Going to try to find somewhere in Canada that has more so I can look at them all.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I was just looking at the Via online and it says up to 35 lbs with the base. Without the base only to 22 lbs. I wonder if the other ones are similar?

Also, I noticed the Snugride 35 goes up to 32". Going to try to find somewhere in Canada that has more so I can look at them all.

The Secure Ride 35 is 32" as well. So is the Via 35. The Embrace 35 is 30". You'll be able to find both Evenflo seats at Toys R Us/Babies R Us. The Secure Ride 35 is only available in a travel system right now.

Only the Via 35 has the weight restrictions on using the base so far as I know - though I haven't had time to go through the manuals for the other seats from front to back. There aren't any dual weight limits on the stickers that I've noticed though, and the Via 35 manual and seat stickers were very clear.

Snugride 35 you'll have a hard time finding in stock right now unless your local Sears still has some. Pretty sure BRU/TRU are completely sold out of all stock of the SR35 at most stores. It's going to be heavier than the Evenflo seats, but either the same or lighter than the Via 35. It has a lock-off on the base, and the Via 35 has one as well.

Secure Ride 35 has sure-latch - that is the UAS connectors that are advertised as click-click-push and 60 second installation. Embrace has regular hooks. Secure Ride 35 has infinite adjust harness, Embrace you re-thread. Secure Ride 35 handle has some rubberized padding in places, Embrace doesn't. I think that I prefer the handle on the Secure Ride 35, but I've never carried it with a child in the seat.

equilibrium

Sorry for asking additional questions! I don't have one of these seats to try out in my van and wondering how say the SR35 compares to the regular snugride in terms of install (sizing). We have had the reg snugride installed outboard middle row captain's chair in our 06 Grand Caravan. I am wondering if there is a big difference ?

acoro

Don't know how it compares to other SRs but I bought a SR35 earlier this year when sears was clearing them out and it installed super easy in my odyssey 8th seat middle row with seatbelt and lockoffs (no UAS in that position)

equilibrium

Okay I emailed Graco to ask when new stock was coming in and also how much shell is needed above head until child outgrows the seat. I've heard one inch and one and one half inch above and just wanted clarification.

But, this is the response I got:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to email your enquiry. The SnugRide 35 infant car seat is designed for infant from 5-35lbs and up to 32”. The majority of retailers no longer have stock of the car seats, however they are expecting stock to be available in November. The new stock retailers are receiving will meet the new regulations. The SnugRide 35 car seat is still be manufactured. Once the infant reaches the weight or height limitations of the seat, the car seat must be changed. The infant’s head and feet must be contained in the seat and should not surpass the car seat shell.

This is the first I have heard that the feet must be contained in the seat?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Was the email to Graco or to Elfe in Canada? I know Graco U.S.A. had some wonky wording in the My Ride manual that the knees could not be bent, but the Canadian manual didn't have that wording.

Then again, maybe it's some new criteria to meet the anti-rebound standard? Hope not!

equilibrium

I am looking online at some manuals but not sure if the US ones are different than Cnd ones? I can only find ones that have US info (ie/phone numbers, code on bottom, etc). Can't find any info about outgrowing seat...

acoro

Funny enough I misplaced my SR35 manual in the baby mayhem that is my house and Graco/Elfe Canada is mailing me a new one but they also sent it to me in PDF immediately. There is no mention of feet being contained and the pictogram in the manual actually shows a baby who's legs are clearly outside the bottom of shell and legs are bent :confused:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I sent another email to Graco about the SR35 and the height limits. I told them what a "parent" had been told regarding the legs being contained, and how it conflicted with what their current manuals say and what standard practice is. I also told them that I am concerned about providing correct information due to the role that I have in training other technicians and helping parents, and asked if this was a change for their seats which meet 2012 standards...

So we'll see what response I get back from them. Often times companies take longer to respond when they realize that they're having their information questioned and someone is looking for clarification to be able to communicate it with others...

I'll update when (and if,) I hear back. If it's something substantial I may start a new thread with it. I'm hoping that the initial information given regarding the height was just someone mis-speaking.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC