Which FF seat to choose?

Olga

I would like your opinions on which forward facing seat to get for my DD. I was thinking of the SecureKid but not sure if something else would be better so I thought I'd come to the experts! ;)

We drive a Camry and have two kids: DD is almost 3y5m old, weighs between 41 and 42 lbs on our home scale, and is about 39.5" tall IIRC. DS is 4m old, weighs around 14 lbs or so, and around 24-25" tall. In our car DD is riding RF in a Radian and DS is in a RF Scenera. We also have a couple of grandma/travel seats: a SureRide (FF for DD since she is over the RF limits) and another Scenera.

So it seems like we're getting to the time when DD will need to turn FF in our main car. When should that happen? I'm assuming she will reach the weight limit first, but how close is too close and I should turn her?

Also, as I mentioned I am thinking of a SecureKid for her in our car, I'm just worried about the narrow shoulder straps. Is there another/better seat we should look into? Not as many options in Canada I understand and I want to choose something reasonably narrow as I'm currently sitting in the back with them most of the time and also we're thinking of baby #3 when DD is around 6 and DS is around 3.

ADS

Mary_Ann

She's a tall girl! First, I would try her in the securekid to see if the harness bothers her. If not, it would be a good option. Most combination (FF harness+booster) seats are pretty wide, unfortunately. If width wasn't an issue, the Graco Nautilus or the Britax Pionner and Frontier would be longer lasting seats.

HTH!

Olga

Yup, she's tall - not surprising as mommy is 6'. ;) She's mostly legs though so hopefully that will work to our advantage (I've heard tall torso kiddos can be tough when it comes to carseats).

Hmm, should we go for another SureRide and then to a HBB then? Or would that not really make much difference in which setup lasts longer? Gah, I'm new to the forward facing world, it's confusing!

Mary_Ann

I think the Sureride has taller top slots (19"??). If both of you like it, then go for it. I also prefer dedicated booster seats and with a younger sibling, a long lasting convertible will come handy!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC