Which Diono/Radian?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I agree that the Go is great for this type of situation, but I believe her car may not have head support in the middle position, which could be an issue with putting a booster rider there. And of course the Go loses harness height when installed with a seatbelt, which would be the only option for a center install.

Right, if the child is too tall for any head restraint, a high back booster would be needed instead of the Harmony LBB for the center position.

Well, I think this is argument is a very slippery slope - who are we to prejudge a caregiver's aptitude for following directions? Making a seat simpler doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be used properly any more of the time.

All else equal and lacking any information on real world risk of serious or fatal injury comparisons, I generally do prefer models that are simpler and easier to use. Of course, all else is rarely equal. Measurements, limits, fabric choices, price and other factors are all important, too. Some may prefer more options or adjustments, of course, but it's so hard to get parents to ever glance at a label or manual that I feel most are best served with minimal adjustments that are easy to do. Advocates and technicians may be obvious exceptions, but these are a tiny percentage of consumers. As always, YMMV!

ADS

3bears

This has become an interesting thread, thanks all. :) I'll go test the Diono in my car and let you guys know how it went. I am pretty good at installing, it took awhile but I can get a rock solid install with the seats we have. I'll need to really master this seat though, because I'll want it outboard when we aren't carpooling (my 3-year-old enjoys tormenting his older brother if they are next to each other). I read a ton about car seats and know more than the average person, but until I accidentally stumbled upon a thread here about Honda not allowing latch borrowing, I had no clue! Luckily we hardly ever had a seat in the middle. There's always more to learn and every time I come here, I learn a little more and try to help friends as well. Thanks everyone. :)

3bears

I ended up ordering the 120 from Just Kids Store. My son loves red and I got the Daytona, mfg 10/12, for a great price. It came today. LOVE! Haven't installed it yet but I can't believe I've been so Britax-obsessed this whole time. Hope I love it after I install it. :) I'll update about 3-across, too.

Last edited:

3bears

Update: love love love this seat. The only con is that my son can loosen the harness very easily so I have to keep an eye on that. He couldn't on the MA. Also, having only installed Marathons, I was nervous about the install being difficult. Once I did it a couple of times, it isn't bad at all. Not as easy as the MA but definitely easier than I had anticipated.

3-across: I have the 120 (FF) outboard, TB in the middle, and put the LiteRider outboard. It is a TIGHT fit. Is it okay if the LiteRider isn't totally centered on the seat? The way the backseat is with the sides being angled really makes this difficult. It looks fine but this is only for carpool once in awhile. If I had 3 in the car more often I would put the 120 in the middle and 2 LiteRiders outboard.

AK Dad

Is it okay if the LiteRider isn't totally centered on the seat?

Glad you like the Radian! The answer to your question is yes, as long as it passes the 1" shake test independently. Get everything in and tight with your 3-across setup, then take out the seat next to your LR and make sure the LR still doesn't move more than 1"

jacqui276

The literider isn't latched in so there would be no shake test. As long as the belt fit is appropriate on the child, I wouldn't worry about it being perfectly centered. If it is moved over a touch, that could impact how the belt sits, especially on the shoulder, so watch for that.

I often do the same 3 across in my vehicle as well but find that it fits better with the literider in the center and turbo booster outboard since the literider is narrower so fits better on my middle seat.

Jessica61624

Update: love love love this seat. The only con is that my son can loosen the harness very easily so I have to keep an eye on that. He couldn't on the MA. Also, having only installed Marathons, I was nervous about the install being difficult. Once I did it a couple of times, it isn't bad at all. Not as easy as the MA but definitely easier than I had anticipated.

3-across: I have the 120 (FF) outboard, TB in the middle, and put the LiteRider outboard. It is a TIGHT fit. Is it okay if the LiteRider isn't totally centered on the seat? The way the backseat is with the sides being angled really makes this difficult. It looks fine but this is only for carpool once in awhile. If I had 3 in the car more often I would put the 120 in the middle and 2 LiteRiders outboard.

Are you sure your son is loosening the harness? Or is it loosening itself?

LM4M

CPST Instructor
Keep in mind the Radian only gives you about 1/2" more harness height than the Marathon. You might even try a Sureride to see if it fits.

It should also be noted that the radian allows shoulders to be above the top harness slots so long as the tops of ears aren't over the top of the shell. That would give even more room than the 1/2" over the MA.

3bears

Are you sure your son is loosening the harness? Or is it loosening itself?

Yes, he pulls the loosener up and then pushes his body forward to loosen it. He's been okay about not doing this lately until yesterday, when I looked back at a stoplight and he was loose!

Question about the center seat...there's no headrest, so I know a LBB can't sit there. But an older child who has passed the 5 step test can? Confused. Thanks!

cookie123

Theoretically a child who 5 stepped could ride in the center if a lap shoulder belt is present and the child had head support up to his ears. I don't know if that could happen. You could use a high back booster that didn't require head support again providing there was a lap/shoulder belt.

3bears

Theoretically a child who 5 stepped could ride in the center if a lap shoulder belt is present and the child had head support up to his ears. I don't know if that could happen. You could use a high back booster that didn't require head support again providing there was a lap/shoulder belt.

Okay. But an adult can safely ride in the middle? Why wouldn't the middle have a headrest since it limits who can sit there? Frustrating.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC