Which carseat for >40lb harnessed to use as 2nd seat

U

Unregistered

My 39lb son (age 3 this month) has a Britax Boulevard which we just switched to FF due to reaching height limit. I also have a 22 lb 8 mo old in an infant Graco Snugride 35. We're flying next month and need to take carseats with us. We are thinking we'd rather get a less expensive carseat for my toddler to use both for travel and as spare to put in DH's car (i.e. weekend use at times) rather than risk damage to a pricey Britax. Cosco Scenara gets recommended everywhere for a 2nd carseat great for travel but he'd outgrow it in a couple months when he hits 40 lbs. What is the equivalent inexpensive option for kids >40lbs, harnessed? I'm open to convertible, FF only, or 3-in-1 booster seats. For bulky carseat options we will fly with it as checked baggage. For something slim (e.g. booster) we'd consider carrying it on the plane. I don't want to get into discussions on why it is best to bring it on the plane here, just looking for suggestions on what to buy. We make this trip every July and so we're trying to plan not only for this trip but what the carseat situation will be next year when the baby is no longer in his infant carseat.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd look at the Harmony Defender for your older child and a Cosco Scenera for your younger. Both are narrow, lightweight, pretty easy to install, and will fit perfectly on planes. That way there's no discussion needed. These are easy to travel with.

I'd probably put the Defender on a luggage cart, then put the Scenera on top of it, and bungee them both on so that way you can drag both with one hand. Put the baby in a stroller or carrier, three year old walks, check luggage, then someone has a backpack on for carry on stuff. Easy peasy, even if you go alone. Baby will go rear facing by the window (at least for now, that can change in Julys to come) since rear facing seats cannot block anyone. Then the Defender in the middle. Or if you sit separately the three year old will go by that window. I'd probably bring a towel to roll at your destination for the Scenera as it often needs some angle help, especially if backseats are pretty sloped.

HTH

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks I hadn't heard of Harmony seats before. A quick Google shows lots of complaints about a short crotch strap. Does anyone know if that is still a problem or have they started shipping them with longer straps? I saw some posts which said Harmony will mail you a longer one but I wonder about that wrt completion of passing crash testing etc. It doesn't sound like there is much side impact protection in these, right? Safety is a top priority for me.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Harmony has sent out longer crotch straps. I have seen photos of the differences.

There is no federal standard for side impact protection. So companies can say whatever they want. Britax, graco and several other companies really talk up their sip. But there are no requirements so who knows how they are even testing this.

U

Unregistered

OK so to get something that will work for my toddler this year and my baby for next year, I decided we need to get a convertible carseat now (We'll get toddler the Frontier 90 for when baby outgrows his infant seat and needs his Boulevard). We'll use it for travel and it will be installed in my husband's VW Passat for very occasional weekend use. I think we can manage to have it set up full time in FF position in hubby's car so whoever needs to take the toddler uses his car and whoever needs to take the baby uses my car. So frequent moving of carseats or flipping RF to FF and back is not anticipated.

Given this, any comments on the Safety 1st Complete Air 70 for our situation? I have read that RF install is a pain. Would it be a bad idea to use this to RF my baby a year from now when traveling (we'd use it FF this year for toddler)? e.g. arriving at 10pm tired at the airport and installing in rental once or twice in the year? Or is the value worth the extra hassle? We'd prefer to keep it <$150/160.

We looked at the Evenflo Sureride but the rounded rear base really seems like it would be hard to get a good secure install. Hubby did not like. (Didn't try to install, just saw at BRU.) The Triumph 65 LX was another contender but that ratcheting knob for tightening the harness each time is goofy and loud!

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't buy a convertible when you have one. Combination seats last longer ff. They have taller top slots and turn into boosters.

Some others to check out: Evenflo securekid, graco nautilus, there is a new britax pioneer 70 (coming out soon, blog should have a review up soon).

If you are buying another convertible. I would get a radian and turn the oldest rf in it. Get an angle adjuster and you can give the front seats more space.

U

Unregistered

pippi2077, I'm saying I should get another convertible now for DS1 because a year from now I'll need DS2 riding in it RFing. Here is my timeline:

1. NOW: DS1 in Boulevard, DS2 in infant seat

2. Travel/DH's car starting this July: DS in new convertible (<$150) and DS2 in infant seat

3. late 2013/early 2014: DS1 in Frontier 90 (yet to purchase), DS2 in Boulevard in my car; no travel plans; DS1 or DS2 can ride in newer convertible in DH's car (switch from RFing/FFing as req'd)

4. 2014 Travel/DH's car: DS1 flies w/ Frontier and DS2 with the newer convertible

5. later on DS2 will get Frontier and DS1 will go to car's belt or backless booster

Hopefully this makes sense. So question is what new convertible to get for 2 boys who are both tall, big, long in torso that are < $150 and I'll get most mileage out of.

1mommy

I actually found the SureRide very easy to install, besides the struggle threading the seatbelt because my husband truck doesn't have latch. But I hate seatbelt installs in general.

U

Unregistered

Thanks Jennie. I stumbled upon the Graco My Ride yesterday afternoon in my online search which I was about to go buy. But looks like the MySize/Size4Me is even better for just a tiny bit more money. Thanks for the suggestion! The no-rethread and other perks sounds well worth the price difference.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
the Mysize70 will last a lot longer then the myride.

The frontier 90 is not FAA approved so don't plan on flying with it.

I was thinking when reading your first post was to use the scerena for the baby for the time being in the 2nd car and getting oldest his own ff seat for the 2nd car, not them sharing a seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC