Which car gets the RF tether?

Valentine

The child is 26 mos, 27 lbs and 33 in. Rear-facing exclusively.

One vehicle is a 2000 Cadillac Seville. Center seat belt install.

The other is a 1995 Mercury Villager. Center lap belt install. Only one bench seat installed, in the center position.

I have two seats that can go in either car, but only one with a rear-facing tether. Which one needs it more? The car seems like it would be safer than the van overall. But the car seems more contained, with the front seats right there and everything. In the van with one bench seat in the middle, and the carseat in the middle of that, he's just kind of floating out in the open.

I figure one needs it more than the other, but which?

And a separate question: can I use a locking clip on a lap-only belt? I mean its latch plate supposedly locks but it doesn't seem to stay very securely. So can I use the clip behind the buckle just to keep the two lengths of belt parallel?

ADS

Maedze

A two year old in a rear facing seat is very, very, very safe. I would put the top tetherable seat in whichever car it is easier to create an anchor point ;)

To answer the other question, no, you can never, ever, ever, for any reason, put a locking clip on a lap belt only.

The locking clip is a positioner. It is not meant to 'hold' in a crash. It is merely meant to keep the seat in line so that is in the correct position at the point of the crash, at which point the locking mechanism in the seatbelt will engage.

If you use a locking clip to disguise a broken lap-tail belt, the belt will act as though it is not locked in an accident, and because there is no locking retractor to engage, the seat will be thrown free the length of the lap belt.

If you feel your lap belt is a titch 'slidey', just give the the male end a half turn before plugging it in :thumbsup:

mommy2jasmine

Personally, I would tether in the car, rather than van. I figure if you were rear ended, then the impact is going to be much closer to the car seat in the car, than if the same crash happened to the van, and then the tether in the car would keep your kid further from that impact? Does that make sense?

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Well say the anchor points are equally easy then.

Ok so with a half twist the male end is actually plugging in backwards?

Yes, you would be buckling it in backwards. That forces the locking bar inside the latchplate against the seat belt and holds it tight so it won't loosen.

all together ooky

Personally, I would tether in the car, rather than van. I figure if you were rear ended, then the impact is going to be much closer to the car seat in the car, than if the same crash happened to the van, and then the tether in the car would keep your kid further from that impact? Does that make sense?

I think this too. I just got a True Fit and put that in my van and will move the Marathon to DH's sedan.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC