Question which car? '10 sienna or '12 ody?

romanoma

We are car shopping to make room for the addition of #3 in a few weeks. we have found 2 great deals local to us on certified pre-owned minivans. I am aware of the redesign issues with the sienna, so I am only looking at 2010 or older for those to have all the LATCH and TA anchors I want. here is what we found and help me pick!

2010 sienna, limited, AWD, 32,000 miles, 7 pass (don't make AWD in 8 pass :( if they did that would be perfect!!)

2012 odyssey, touring, FWD, 30,000 miles, 8 pass

Price is very similar, miles pretty equivalent. trim and interior is pretty much the same (leather seats, DVD, etc). I currently have a CRV and have loved it.

I can't decide if I think the 8th seat option is a better choice or if we should go for AWD. (DH thinks AWD is very important (we live in the midwest and usually get some snow in the winter) and 8th seat not so much. we are having #3 and may have a #4, but not likely more than that). I think I prefer the drive and seat comfort of the sienna, although I am used to the feel of a honda. I prefer the look of the odyssey. I also have a hard time paying as much for a 2010 sienna as I could for a 2012 ody!

what would you do in this situation? What factors am I not considering? Can anyone say for sure how many TA each has? Any reliability issues with either year/model I should consider? I'd love to hear other opinions please :D

TIA!

ETA: I forgot to mention, I love my radians!! so would love to know how radians install in both vehicles with leather seats both RF and FF (no, I didn't try today. it was in the 30's and I'm 37w preggo!)

Last edited:
ADS

jjordan

Send a pm to Yinzermama if she doesn't see this. She currently has a new Odyssey, which replaced a Sienna of the same generation you're considering. She most definitely knows the pros/cons of each in and out!

ETA: I just re-read and noticed that the Sienna is not the 8 passenger version. If it were me, I'd go for 8 passenger above AWD, since it sounds like you don't really need AWD. Whereas there will always be occasions where it is helpful to have an extra seat in your family vehicle...

SavsMom

Are either vehicles factory certified pre-owned?

I ask because in a used vehicle I would almost always choose the one that is certified pre-owned over one that isn't, mainly because they typically come with a power train warranty with the option of adding a bumper to bumper warranty at a good discount.

If I recall from my time with Toyota their certified pre-owned program gave you a 6 year 100,000 mile power train, you could then purchase the bumper to bumper for the same term for $899 ( it varies regionally and by state).

If neither were certified I would just go on which one is a better deal and has the options and features you need and want. Honestly both vans are great.

romanoma

thanks for the thoughts ladies!

they are both certified pre-owned, the honda is at a honda dealership, the toyota is at a hyundai dealership (if that matters at all).

as for the AWD, we do get snow, and when we get snow, neighborhood streets and smaller roads are horrendous. the city here handles the city streets and main roads, but I have been glad to have my AWD getting into and out of my neighborhood many times in the winter. If toyota made an 8 pass AWD, I'd be in heaven!

vtbecca

That's a tough one! I love my sienna, I do love the look of the new Odyssey though.

If you really do think you will need AWD then IMO that is pretty important. 8 pass is a huge pls too, though. We have a 7 pass and there have been many times I have wished we had looked harder to find an 8 pass. For us AWD sn't a huge thing. We live in town in Va. Huge storms occasionally but not regularly.

So I have been no help in your decision making process. Do the newer 8 pass Siennas come in AWD? I know the extra seat on the newer ones is pitiful, but it may work as a compromise between the two options- you'd still have an extra seat and AWD. And I really love Siennas.

Becca

romanoma

no, even on the new ones, there is no 8 pass AWD. I asked the salesman why, he said they just don't sell many AWD's. I can't figure out why :confused: I guess if people want AWD they get a highlander? IDK. I think minivan shoppers just know they aren't likely going to get AWD, so it's not a "must have".

SavsMom

thanks for the thoughts ladies!

they are both certified pre-owned, the honda is at a honda dealership, the toyota is at a hyundai dealership (if that matters at all).

as for the AWD, we do get snow, and when we get snow, neighborhood streets and smaller roads are horrendous. the city here handles the city streets and main roads, but I have been glad to have my AWD getting into and out of my neighborhood many times in the winter. If toyota made an 8 pass AWD, I'd be in heaven!

If the Honda is at a Honda dealer then it more than likely falls under the Honda Factory Certified program, but the Sienna being at a Hyundai dealer it likely doesn't fall under the Toyota Certified Program. There CAN be a huge difference in a factory certified pre owned and an individual dealers "certified pre owned" in terms of vehicle inspection and available warranty.

I have driven an AWD van and a non AWD van in snow and there is a big difference in the two. You have to purchase the vehicle you like the most with the features you find valuable.

YinzerMama

I am the crazy van lady. :)

We had an '08 8 passenger. Loved that van EXCEPT that the trunk leaked. Warranty ran out. We kept pouring time and money in to figuring the stupid leak out and finally gave up. (Will ALWAYS get the extended warranty now)

We got the Odyssey and I actually tried to buy my old Sienna back (dealer turned around and certified it, still leaking!) - they wouldn't sell it back to me. Long story. Craziest thing I ever heard but I swear every word is true. So I was stuck with the Ody.

Couple weeks ago found a 2010 8 passenger with 30k on it and went and looked and put a deposit down and in the end backed out. It's a tough call. That old Sienna still calls to me.

We did not have AWD. It was never a consideration when we bought the van - never had a vehicle with it - but I have read many crappy things about the AWD. You won't get as good mileage and those runflat or whatever they are called tires wear out fast and are expensive to replace. (The AWD has no spare tire because the gear box or whatever takes up the space it would go - so they use run flat tires. Some people replace the tires with normal tires and then just make sure to have roadside assistance in the event they get a flat which is probably a good way to handle it - honestly I have only ever been stranded with a flat one time in 15 years of driving and that was my own fault so...) Our township is anal retentive about removing snow so I can't really tell you too much about how the Sienna handled snow.

So. The best points of the old Sienna. Each of the 3 middle row seats was comfortable enough for sitting and each of them had LATCH. Access to the 3rd row was wide and easy by tumbling a seat. An outboard seat could be removed and you still had 2 usable seats in the middle row. Trunk is bigger and 3rd row is wider than anything else on the market new or used, as far as I know, minivan wise. 3rd row windows open. Comes with roof rack with adjustable cross bars.

Biggest thing, ease of access to 3rd row, I guess. (You can put the captains chairs together in the 7 passenger to have easy access back there)

Now the Ody... I didn't realize the seats SLIDE forward vs tumble, so rear row access is not QUITE as easy. It's not HARD, it's just not as easy. And I also didn't realize the 3rd row windows don't vent. Both of these features I took for granted as things all minivans had so I didn't check at the dealer. (And yes, yes I do feel stupid after the fact) The 2nd row seats can have the back made flat, which is how it was when we looked at it, and I assumed it was just not tumbled - you can do this with the Sienna as well, on the way to tumbling or on the way back - so once we bought it and I realized this I was kind of annoyed. The biggest annoyance with the Ody seats is you have to push on the BACK of the seat, vs the leg part, to lock it into place. So if my girls get in the 3rd row and don't lock the seat back, from the driver's seat, I can't reach it to lock it and it is bonking around back there and drives me crazy and I have to pull over to fix it. The Sienna seats just fell down and locked.

We ended up just taking the outboard passenger seat out and it is now in our living room. Very classy ;). The middle seat works for a car seat and my oldest is behind the driver. Two girls in the back row. I WISH the Ody 8th seat were more comfortable like the old Sienna - and I wish the seatbelt were seat mounted rather than ceiling, since it blocks the DVD player if in use, which defeats the point of shelling out for that - but by the time the baby is too big to use LATCH for his car seat, the girls will be old enough that I can trust them to put the seat back properly when they climb in the back row. So it works.

We are done with 4 kids so that middle seat being more of an "in a pinch" seat still vs. a seat you'd want to use every day or on a long trip is not a huge deal. If you have the whole 2nd row assembled like a bench, it's not bad. But take out an outboard seat and it is like sitting on a ledge.

Now, going back and driving the old style Sienna I noticed I really prefer the Ody handling. I never had a problem with how my Sienna handled but the one I test drove, I felt like I had to mash on the brakes vs. them being much more firm and responsive in the Ody. I thought maybe there was something wrong with the Sienna I drove but looking at reviews, "sponginess" comes up wrt Sienna brakes, so I don't know. I def feel my Ody drives better. And I def. feel the driver's seat is more comfy. The arm rest locks higher up so it works better. It just feels nicer. It actually feels like a luxury car, which is really part of why I was so unhappy with it at first - it's like going from jeans to an evening gown, fun for a test drive, not so fun when you realize you have to dress like that EVERY DAY - but it has grown on me and that driver's seat really is comfortable. ;)

The 3rd row of the Ody has more leg room and the seats felt better, to me, vs. the old Sienna. New Ody has hideous headrests that poke you to encourage you to raise them - once they are up they look awful but feel good. I think as my kids become older, the 3rd row will be better. (Even with the 2nd row all the way back, I had ample leg room. Don't get me wrong the old Sienna 3rd row is OK for an adult but the Ody is better)

The 2nd row outboard seats, with the "plus one" seat as an armrest, were more comfortable than the Sienna seats. Now we did go from cloth to leather and my son grumbles at the leather - I kind of miss cloth in some ways - but shape and size wise, the seats are very comfortable. Whereas in our old Sienna we had 3 OK seats, we now have 2 awesome seats and an "it will do" seat. Like I said, we're done with 4, so that's OK. If you have 5 or 6 kids, old Sienna wins.

My old Sienna did not have a back up camera. I do like this feature. A LOT. Our garage is way at the back of our property so we normally just park in front of our house but if we want to load or unload bikes on the van it makes for backing up the long skinny driveway much easier. Also no more backing over scooters or toys in the driveway. Some of the old Siennas had a camera but not the 8 pass.

Our old Sienna did not have a DVD player. If we had it would have been controlled from the back. New Ody, we got the DVD player and it is controlled from the dash which is the ONLY way to go if you have 4yo kids in the very back. (There is also a remote though so if older son is with me he can control it)

New Ody has tethers all across the back row - one of my girls was not tethered in old Sienna, now both are. You can work around this, but it's a point for me, given how I prefer to lay out the kids in the van. Old Sienna has tethers in the middle and passenger outboard spot and I couldn't put 2 frontiers like that so one of our seats was untethered. Below 65 pounds it is recommended not required so not a HUGE issue but nice to have.

New Ody has smaller trunk and Honda nickle and dimes you for parts - does not come with roof rack, which husband insisted we never used so we didn't push for it in the price - but also didn't realize how much smaller the trunk was (about 5 cubic feet). We may or may not end up getting a roof rack. We will have to make a few big trips and see.

Anyway. IMO Ody wins in terms of passenger and driver comfort. For 4 or fewer kids I think it is better long term, Toyota 8 pass is better short term. 7 pass. Sienna fits both age brackets kind of well (this is all assuming you will be using the 3rd row)

If you really need the AWD I will point out that with 3 kids in car seats - you'll still have 2 extra spots in that back row. With the new Ody you can fit 2 people and a car seat snugly but not 2 car seats and a person. So depending on layout, the 7 pass Sienna or 8 passenger Ody might hold the same number of people, with car seats in the equation. With either car you may be maxed out with 5 back there.

I don't know if this helps or muddies. There's not a CLEAR winner. Four days into my new Ody I would have argued the old Sienna was better but I feel like we are safer and more comfortable in the new Ody now, even if we gave some stuff up. But I have 4 actual kids, vs. 2 with 1 on the way and one more theoretical. Your needs will change depending on if the theoretical arrives and what that spacing ends up being.

If we were to go back to Sienna, I don't know if we would do 7 or 8 passenger. I think the middle row kids would be more comfortable in the captains chairs vs the bench deal in the 8 pass. But then you lose a spot, even if it is an in a pinch spot. The Ody kind of gives you more of the best of both worlds.

I do wish the Ody's 3rd row was just a few inches wider though. Make it a true 8 passenger even for car seats.

eta - as far as certification - the toyota could still be under original warranty, which you can then extend by looking for a toyota warranty place on line. Should be 800 bucks or so. SHop around, make calls.

eta again - we got an ex-l and added speakers to the 3rd row, which you might want to do with the touring. only the elite gives you 3rd row speakers, crazy!!!

Last edited:

romanoma

wow, thanks for such a thoughtful comparison Yinzermama! Lots of great info there, I"ll have to come back and read that a few times to take it all in. very interesting point about the 3rd row being more functional in the sienna, at least for 3 across, and that not getting 3 across in the ody may make them both in effect a 7 passenger ride. but I also agree about the TA and about where you would put your kids in that 3rd row (i'd prefer to have them both outboard back there for all our sanity and would prefer TA in all seating positions). I"ll also have to ask if the sienna still has the run flat tires on it. I remember the salesman commenting that the tires "looked brand new", so not sure if they are factory or not.

Savsmom, thanks for sharing your experience in driving an AWD van in the snow. that does make it harder for me. part of me thought "it really can't make that much of a difference", so it's great to hear your thoughts on it. it's funny, there are thousands of people around here who don't have AWD and manage to drive in the snow every winter, but to my DH it is a safety feature that he thinks is invaluable for his family.

thanks to all for the discussion! Keep the thoughts/opinions coming!

romanoma

Yinzermama, in the 8 pass sienna, could you take out the 2nd row center seat and then slide the passenger captains chair to the middle position? That is something I do really like in the 7 passenger, seems better than having a captains chair and a little seat next to it.

YinzerMama

Yinzermama, in the 8 pass sienna, could you take out the 2nd row center seat and then slide the passenger captains chair to the middle position? That is something I do really like in the 7 passenger, seems better than having a captains chair and a little seat next to it.

No... but the middle chair was good enough. The 8 passenger has a 35/30/35 split so the chairs are ALMOST equal. The biggest one is skinnier than a captain's chair but it is big enough. That's why I said you had 3 OK spots vs. 2 awesome and one "it'll do" spot in the Ody. The Ody outboard seats are bigger than the Sienna outboard seats. At least I am pretty sure they are!

So if you took an outboard seat out of the 8 passenger sienna you still had 2 decent seats. Not captains chairs, but decent seats. The head rest is smaller on that center seat though.

For car seats it worked great.

For just 2 older uncarseated kids sitting in the middle, I'd probably put them on either end with the middle down as an arm rest.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Toyota_Sienna/2008/photos-interior/rear-seat/

wrt that middle seat though - on the Ody if you put it down as an arm rest, it has 3 cupholders (real cupholders) and a square thing you could put, I don't know, a phone, an ipod, whatever in. On the 8 passenger Sienna it's pretty much a slick plastic surface and 2 shallow round circles that look like they were thinking about cupholders but got distracted and didn't finish the job. You couldn't actually use it for anything. Now, both vehicles have enough cup holders all over to satisfy an entire family of problem drinkers, so it's not a HUGE point, but that center console on the middle seat of the Ody is actually useful whereas on the Sienna it is not. Just a funny quirk.

Last edited:

YinzerMama

If you want more things to stew over, something I didn't realize when I bought the new ody was, the old odys had 2 captains chairs AND a skinny plus one seat - which I knew - but you can remove the plus one seat and put the captains chairs together. So you have 2 captains chairs AND a side aisle AND an 8th seat if you want it.

Of course you still have a narrower 3rd row, and the tether placement for those older ody 3rd rows was not as desirable.

Old odys go for more than new siennas though.

If you really need the AWD its a moot point as you are limited to the 7 passenger, but the old 7 pass sienna was still really versatile and awesome.

eta - I should also mention that even if you CAN get a person and 2 car seats in back of the sienna, it is tight and works better with some carseats and people than others. I could not get between the 2 frontiers but my husband could. :p Now in the new Ody if push came to shove I could move a frontier to the center row and still squeeze 2 people in the back row with the other frontier - basically I could juggle and rearrange and somehow get 6 back there. Those 3 inches of room in the sienna though do give you a bit more options - but once all or most of the kids are out of are seats, it becomes less of a big deal. Fewer options for car seats in the middle row of an older ody.

Last edited:

romanoma

Thanks! Yeah, that is interesting about sliding the captains chair in the old ody but not in the new ody. I can def see the bonus of using that smaller center seat in the ody for a RF child seat and having an open captains chair next to it. I think I could do the same thing in the 7 pass with 2 captains chairs side by side, and that is likely what I would do. I really don't think I would get an older ody though, for the reasons you mentioned (price and lack of LATCH and TA)

as for the captains chair comparison, are you comparing the size of the chairs in both 8 passenger versions and think the ody chairs are larger? Have you also compared the 7 pass sienna and the 8 pass ody seats? B/c I thought the captains chairs in the 7 pass sienna looked huge, although I admit I didn't measure or compare to the ody directly.

YinzerMama

I have not measured but I expect the captains chairs in the old 7 pass. sienna and the new ody (or old ody for that matter) are roughly similar. The outboard seats of the 8 pass sienna would be narrower than either. They are sufficient for an adult, but there is no luxury.

I kind of think that as my kids got older, I may have considered a van with true captain's chairs in the middle row, so the kids could rotate and take turns being comfortable. We got the van when I was pregnant with my twins (and had one older son) and my thinking was I didn't want them fighting over who got the captain's chairs and who had to sit in the back - it was kind of a matter of all being equally un/comfortable. And then later I came to think they could have taken turns! Why didn't I think of that??? So that was why I say the new Ody kind of gives you the best of both worlds. You get comfy captain's chairs. AND you get an 8th seat. And that 8th seat isn't as great as the 8th seat in the old Sienna but if you don't have 6 kids and NEED to use it all the time, it does't matter. Its still better than the 8th seat in the old Ody.

You can't push the captains chairs together like in the old Ody, but if you use the 8th seat for a car seat it amounts to about the same thing. You can then remove the outboard seat and have a HUGE aisle to the back. (Oh by the way I love that huge aisle as a spot to change diapers. That is one huge perk to an 8 passenger van. You get SOME aisle with the 7 passenger but not as big.)

http://www.kennyross.com/Deepzoom.aspx?ID=12450362&type=dealer If this link works you can scroll through and see a view of the seats side by side, from the back, so there is a small side aisle, but not huge. It's possible the butt part of the outboard 8 pass seat and the 7 pass captains chairs are closer than I think, but I think the footprints are different, I know you can't interchange the seats between vehicles - I do think the true captains chairs with arms are wider.

romanoma

thanks for that link, I agree, that is a pretty narrow isle next to the 2 captains chairs. fine for my kids at 4 and 6 and both skinny minny, but not great for an adult or older/huskier child. very helpful!!

YinzerMama

For comparison with an 8 passenger you can arrange this lovely set-up

Again once he is no longer latch weight I will put the outboard seat back but by then I won't be changing diapers and it won't be too much to expect my girls to move it and put it back properly.

The 8 passenger sienna seat would flip and stand on edge near the front passenger seat, so in and out is somewhat easier, but the slide isn't hard once you are used to it. You won't have features like back up camera, leather, dash controlled DVD, or a ton of tethers in the old 8 pass sienna, as they were only base models.

You could remove a captains chair in the 7 passenger, but then you're really cutting down seating.

(Or with 3 kids you can have 3 across the middle of the 8 pass, and have the whole back for diapers, which was what I did when I had 3. I have heard, but not tried, that you can still tip and access the back row even with a car seat in the chair, in the new ody. Never tried it in the old Sienna so can't say. But either way you can go in through the back and use one part of the 3rd row)

Attachments

• sideaisle.jpg
    sideaisle.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

jeno

Senior Community Member
We recently purchased a 2012 new Ody. I live in W. Michigan where we get plenty of snow AND I live on a steep drive. I didn't want run flat tires. They are pricey to replace and they only last about 25k miles. If I have issues with the Ody handling in the snow, I'll buy a pair of snow tires instead.

romanoma

Thanks everyone!! So we ended up getting a new 2012 odyssey! super stoked, just picked it up last night :D it was hardly any more than a used 2012 or 2011 odyssey with current cash back incentives to move out the 2012 inventory. my DH finally realized that it doesn't make sense to spend that much more on gas all year long for possibly 2-3 times a year we will really want/need AWD. plus, it was so hard to find options we liked on an AWD sienna, we didn't like the faux wood on the limited that was local to us :eek: Also for now, we will still have the CRV which has AWD, if we all need to go somewhere in a lot of snow we will take that.

thanks for all the help, this has been a very informative thread!!

(now does anyone know if there is a thread about poss 3 across in the 3rd row? I have searched, but I am search impaird most of the time)

YinzerMama

I haven't looked extensively. It's hard to fit 3 of anything back there and a lot of what I found requires a ff/rf/ff puzzle. If I need 3 people back there I'll move a frontier to the middle row and then I can fit 2 people in seatbelts and the remaining frontier.

I hate the faux woodgrain in the fancier Siennas, too. I thought it was just me!

Shancouchon

In my 3rd row I have an evenflo rf , ff, radian, ff marathon
Also have had rf, radian, rf marathon classic/roundabout 50, and rf radian

And right now rf radian, ff radian and ff roundabout

I have always needed at least 1 radian in this set up. And a lot lot lot of patience

Helps if you recline the seats , tighten, and then put them up right ( gets them tighter)

Good luck

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC