Which booster for a 6 year old?

LRutt

I know nothing about boosters but am considering a booster as a second seat for my 6 year old. I'm looking for something lightweight and easy to move from car to car as this will be a backup/secondary seat for short trips in dad's car or grandma and grandpas cars. (2011 jeep Cherokee, 2008 corvette, 2008 escape and 2015 suburu outback). Kid in question turned 6 in September and is about 46 in tall and about 45 lb. he normally rides in a harnessed Britax frontier 90 about 98% of the time and a ride safer travel vest that he will outgrow soon as our backup. Any info on boosters would be greatly appreciated! I know that wee are HBB and no back boosters, but past that I honestly know nothing about them.

ADS

henrietta

I agree. For the situation, a Graco Turbo booster is perfect. Just a warning...the backs can be loose (not a safety issue in a booster at all, but can be annoying when moving it to a different car, you just hold the bottom too when you move it ;))

An Evenflo Big Kid Sport or Amp works well in lots of cars, too (shoulder belt guide is easier in a few vehicles, IMHO, in case you run into that problem).

Cnidaria

Don't forget to assemble the screws into the armrests if you get a TurboBooster!

Have your son buckle the booster in when he exits the vehicle, to prevent it from becoming a projectile when it's unoccupied.

LRutt

So when it's not in use there's nothinfb that holds it into the car or keeps it from sliding around the vehicle? Are there any that do attach to the seat when not in use? We have to be quick when we drop him off as to by hold up the line and I'm not sure he could quickly get it buckled in and get his coat, book bag, and mittens on quick enough.

creideamh

So when it's not in use there's nothinfb that holds it into the car or keeps it from sliding around the vehicle? Are there any that do attach to the seat when not in use? We have to be quick when we drop him off as to by hold up the line and I'm not sure he could quickly get it buckled in and get his coat, book bag, and mittens on quick enough.

There are boosters that have LATCH (lower anchor attachments) that hold it in place so he doesn't have to buckle it back up every time. The Graco Affix is one that fits very similarly to the Turbobooster and is reasonably priced.

kookaburra

The new Chicco KidFit, which is a Target exclusive, also has LATCH. It was on display but not in stock yet at the Target I checked yesterday, but someone else here did spot it in their store.

We're in a similar situation with keeping the school drop off line moving so I've been looking at it for my newly 6YO.

LRutt

The new Chicco KidFit, which is a Target exclusive, also has LATCH. It was on display but not in stock yet at the Target I checked yesterday, but someone else here did spot it in their store.

We're in a similar situation with keeping the school drop off line moving so I've been looking at it for my newly 6YO.

Oh awesome. Thanks! I didn't even know Chicco made boosters! We had the Chicco keyfit as an infant seat and loved it! Maybe I will check it out next time I'm at target too. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC