Where do these ideas come from?- seat superiority

Ladyl

I was visiting a good friend of mine and carseats came up. She recently got a frontier for her four year old and told me she wished she could afford a Britax for her 7 month-old. Right now he is in a EFTA. Basically another friend had told her that only Britax are "tested at realistic highway speeds" while other carseats are only tested at 30 mph.

I explained that as far as I know that isn't true. Seats are tested at 30 mph because usually there is breaking in a crash and over 30 mph is usually not considered survivable. I also brought up how it couldn't be true since consumer reports (I used the standard disclaimer about them) had a Britax infant seat flying off the base at over 30 mph.

I had my two year old in his spare Scenera. I said he was in a forty dollar seat from Walmart and I was perfectly comfortable with it. This isn't a case where the most money buys safety. Using the seat correctly and rear facing to the limits is what will make our kids safest. I left feeling like shes was less freaked out about what her baby was riding in.

All this is to ask where does the idea that only Britax is tested sufficiently come from? I like Britax, I love my classic MA, (it's been demoted to a spare though) but I can't figure this out. I feel like I've heard it alluded to before and am wondering if it is common.

Last edited:
ADS

emandbri

I do recall something about britax seats being tested at higher speeds but it was many, many years ago and with the infant seat and the base thing and the Transport Cananda tests with the marathon it is clear that if it was true it isn't true anymore.

Twinklefae

I think it comes from the seats having been highly recommended back when they were the only high rear facing weight/high harness weight seats in town. Add in the super easy install (which increases safety) and lots of people knew that Britax was 'the safest' but didn't know why. Rumours started.

The Britax is safest thing makes me CRAZY because I have seen it responsible for SO much misuse. Your 11 month old is FF? That's all right, he's in a Britax. Your seat is expired? That's all right, it's a Britax. Couldn't figure out the installation so you just buckled the seatbelt over the top like it's a booster? That's all right, it's a Britax.

Maybe it's because they are so expensive here (Marathons start at 299.99) but people seem to think that the seat is going to jump up and save the kid without any help from them.

Stelvis

The other day I saw a kid FF in a cow moo BLVD going down the highway, totally unbuckled. The grandma in the passenger seat was turned around talking and smiling at him so it's not like he unbuckled himself and they didn't know. I'm sure the Britax would have totally protected him in a crash though, after all it's the BEST.

Mysweethoneybee

I have to say I do really love my Britax seats. Super easy to install correctly. While I know that Dorel seats are supposedly just as safe when my son leaned on the Apex 65 headrest while climbing into his seat and the headrest snapped off I decided I was going for heavy duty seats. The headrest on the blvd doesn't break even with me pulling on it. (it is expired as of the 28th of this month and I have tried breaking the shell to dispose of it and I haven't even managed to damage it with a hammer) However, I have no problem with most child safety seats.
People on my facebook post pictures all the time of their kids riding down the road in carseats but not buckled in. Around here it is mostly dorel seats. Because they don't think safety they just know it is the law to have their child in the seat.

Kiss Me Deadly

When I was shopping for a convertible seat for my oldest a few years ago, I knew nothing about car seats. I just knew that I was tired of lugging around the infant bucket and she had to be rear facing. I ended up leaving Babies R Us in tears because I couldn't afford a Britax. The BRU employee told me the same thin about Britax crash testing and also told me that Britax seats NEVER expired... :eek:

Thank God I found this site!

That being said, I do tend to like the more expensive seats, but not for safety reasons. Ease of use, comfort, cute covers, etc. I'm shallow and I know it! :eek:

Kat_Momof3

reassure her... while some of the "frills" on a britax seat may or may not make them safer than another brand's seat, the safest seat is the one installed and used correctly and that fits the child, the vehicle, and that the parents can afford to purchase.

all of the seats have to meet the same tests... and all companies say that their seats go above those requirements... and all we can do is trust that they are serious.

Obviously if one particular brand were SO much safer, we'd be seeing a lot of info... and also seeing other brands in a rush to compete.

We did to an extent, see it somewhat when Britax was the only one making tall seats with high weight limits... but as the market has become filled with other brands making seats to compete with them, we no longer have only one company giving us the seats that will rearface and harness our children longer, that provide tall boosters, that offer us quality seats.

Of course, I loved my britax Marathon... I loved the Husky, the Regent, the laptop, and the OS Parkway that helped keep my kids safe to the max possible... and they were IT for options for us back then... but I scrimped, saved, and made those seats happen with a lot of effort that, if my kids were being born starting this year, I wouldn't have had to do... and honestly, simply for less stress and less super sacrificing, while Damian would still have ended up in britax (the frontier 85 to be specific... because that boy is just so super tall), the others would not have... unless they inherited it from him.

obviously they're still making some seriously awesome seats with great covers... and if you can easily afford them and you love them, go ahead...

but it's not something I'd be kicking myself about when you have a great seat, also easy to use, that will hold your child just as long (or pretty darn close, at least)

Ladyl

It's just so strange to me. I can actually see how Britax can be the gateway carseat to becoming obsessed (it was to me). The person who told her that is also my friend, and is a huge rfing advocate. I am so curious as to where she came up with this information about testing. I don't think I'll ask her though, I'm not good at any sort of confrontation. Not that that would really be a confrontation.

MaeganEmily

The "Britax Bubble" advertisements probably don't help. A child floating in a bubble? Really?

I loved my Britax seats, but they just didn't last long enough for us.

The 40 lb Roundabout was seriously the easiest seat to use, I was so sad when DD outgrew it RF at 14 months. The harness adjuster was sooooo smooth!

southernveg

I had this conversation with Trippsmom yesterday because someone BLASTED me for recommending a seat other than Britax. Went off on me and spouted off the same reasons as above.

I have had this reaction from some people, but with a lot of my friends, they end up wanting to throw out a perfectly good Britax seat that they already purchased in order to buy a different seat that will RF their child longer. I end up having to talk them into keeping their child in their Britax until they outgrow it, and then re-assess, lol!

Of course, then there is my friend whose 3 1/2 year old son has long since outgrown his roundabout, but he's still riding in it b/c it's a Britax, so it must be ok.

emandbri

It is worth mentioning that Britax did used to be the best, hand down. Other seats did not have energy absorbing foam, lock offs, rear-facing tethers, or thicker straps.

Then they had some of the only seats that could be used past 40 lbs.

Times change, other companies started making better and better seats. I have have had 12 britax seats and now none are used by my kids. I absolutely love my radian, nautilus, and Monterey.

CrazyBoysMamma

I was told that line about Britax testing at higher speeds way back when I was shopping for DS1's 1st convertible. For I while I bought into the whole "Britax is best" thing. I still love Britax seats, but for more logical reasons like ease of use, also they happen to make the only non special needs seat that will harness my oldest. I also love them for a frivolous reason- I'm totally addicted to cowmoo!!!

Ladyl

It is worth mentioning that Britax did used to be the best, hand down. Other seats did not have energy absorbing foam, lock offs, rear-facing tethers, or thicker straps.

Then they had some of the only seats that could be used past 40 lbs.

Times change, other companies started making better and better seats. I have have had 12 britax seats and now none are used by my kids. I absolutely love my radian, nautilus, and Monterey.

This is Avery god point! Thank you. It's funny how reputations stick around for so long!

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
Not only do reputations stick around but we keep having more kids! My DD was in a Boulevard 7 years ago, it was the only good option. It was not an easy purchase for us, but we saved and bit the bullet. But now I have an almost one year old and I have way more choices. I can see not being into car seats and getting Britax again because I assumed it was still the best!

And, honestly, the install is still really good. You just can't compare a Radian install... so when my friend who had a poorly installed Snugride 22 got a Britax because it was the best, and installs it correctly? Well, I can't say I am too bothered!

monica-m

CPST Instructor
It's one thing if they use it correctly. I think it's worth every penny if the parents use it correctly but I just don't see it happen. I don't see very many Britax seats that are used correctly. I see lots of loose harnesses, low chest clips, FF too early, no tether, etc. :thumbsdown:

Caroline162

I agree with what others have posted. When I bought my oldest daughter's Marathon 6 years ago, it seemed like there were fewer options than there are now. We were happy with the Britax and so I just never bothered to look around for anything else when buying other seats (until now).

I think customer service helps too - I know Britax will replace seats free if they have been in a crash (maybe other companies do too?) and also when the foam broke on one of my Marathons (I had the cover off to wash and one of the kids got a hold of it) they sent me a replacement and only charged me shipping. I tend to be loyal to companies that have good customer service. When we called them, we actually got a human being on the phone immediately... I have never tried to call, for example, Graco, but I would imagine it wouldn't be as easy.

Also, I can see how a Britax "feels" more safe than, say, a Scenera. We had a Scenera that was a back up seat and I hated it (for other reasons - I knew it was perfectly safe). But I can see how someone comparing the two seats in person would feel like the Britax was safer - it is sturdier feeling, more padded, the materials (exterior) are nicer, etc. I think it's the same logic that makes people feel safer in big SUVs than little cars.

CrazyBoysMamma

It's one thing if they use it correctly. I think it's worth every penny if the parents use it correctly but I just don't see it happen. I don't see very many Britax seats that are used correctly. I see lots of loose harnesses, low chest clips, FF too early, no tether, etc. :thumbsdown:

Don't forget expired, bought used, with an unknown history.:rolleyes: But it's a Britax!

mimieliza

The "feels more safe" thing is a big deal with parents. I have friends who bought a Marathon for their first child. Turned her FFing as soon as she hit 20 lbs/1 yr, no top tether. When their second child outgrew the infant seat, they handed the MA down to her, but couldn't afford another Britax. They bought a Maestro, but still have lots of hand-wringing and nervousness because the Maestro feels so much more flimsy than the Britax.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

farrbabies

About britax customer service... I was so unimpressed because I had purchased four marathons, 2 frontiers and 2 boulevards. Two boulevards cost me $419.99 after taxes each! I'm in Canada. Then I had trouble with the covers flaking off because I handwashed it. They said because they were out of warranty... I got them may 2008 that I had to purchase new covers plus shipping and duties... It would have been almost $180 for one cover. I declined and sold one of my seats. I still want to replace my cover... It's cowmoo! But the price is outrageous! So now I have my 3 radians, 2 my rides and down to one frontier. Sometimes I wished I lived in the states so I wouldnt have all this hassle. Still want a new cover but now willing to pay that much!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC