When is the right time to switch RF to FF?

rodentranger

35 pounds won't come until 3 years 1 month, according to my anthropometric calculator (think cool computer software version of the charts at the doctor's office). They really slow down their growth at that age. So depending on how comfortable you are pushing that 35 pound limit, and of course depending on the exact timing of growth spurts, you may very well get to 3 years. :thumbsup:

At DS1's 18 mo WBC, the ped said that based on his growth pattern, he wouldn't be 35 lbs until well after his 3rd birthday. We're at 29-32 naked now at 25 mos. Kids don't always like to conform...:D

ADS

fyrfightermomma

It's hard when you have big kids! My DD is 28mths (36") and 33-35# depending on the day you weigh her. My boys were that weight much earlier so there just isn't anything you can do except FF them once they hit that mark. :(

hehe and hard when you have small kids as well. My DD won't hit 35 lbs until age 7 or so. Obviously US seats are not made to RF kids that long. She probably won't hit 30 lbs until closer to age 5(which is most people here's minimum weight requirement). Again, US seats are really not made to RF super tall leggy older kids. So even getting her to 30 lbs would be very difficult.

So for us, after age 3, we go with our personal feelings. DD1 is 3.5. I will be turning her this spring. She will be almost 4. She will weigh about 25 lbs. She hasn't gained in almost 2 years and isn't going to. She has started to fuss and complain and kids make comments to her and once she's in 4K I really don't want her to stand out more than she already is. Like "hey look at the tiny midget kid who has Aspergers and acts weird and can't talk right AND sits backwards" She has enough on her plate. :) Not to mention, very few people have had to wrangle a very tall 4 year old in and out of a RFing seat daily. I know some here have and I give them credit. But for those who had larger kids and DIDN'T RF a 4-5 year old, they really don't know what it's like day in and day out. They just stop fitting well. It's a struggle to contort my daughter with her gigantic legs into the seat and I can't imagine doing it much longer. She says she isn't comfortable anymore either. She is super tall though and it's all in her legs. Tall torso'd kids or shorter 4 year olds may fit easier. But I've found it a struggle and I'm ready to be done.

Now with "normal" kids, it's time to turn them when they outgrow the seat RFing by height or weight. If they have a "40" lb limit seat and outgrow RFing early by height on those before about 2.5 I would buy another seat to RF longer. After about 2.5 I probably wouldn't buy a seat to RF longer

With heavier kids, you have to turn them at the weight limit. My DD2 will be FFing shortly after her 2nd bday which makes me sad :( especially since DD1 will RF so long.

With lighter kids, it's a parental decision to me after age 3. I listen to their input also around that time and think of social issues as well.

Hope you find something you can handle!

Last edited:

Pixels

At DS1's 18 mo WBC, the ped said that based on his growth pattern, he wouldn't be 35 lbs until well after his 3rd birthday. We're at 29-32 naked now at 25 mos. Kids don't always like to conform...:D
Yeah, that is why I always give some sort of disclaimer. I can't predict the future, only give educated guesses based on what the growth charts say.

I would love to use that calculator can you PM with some info please! Or can I give you some stats?
Sure! I've done this now on a couple of threads, and there has been a lot of interest in it. It's kinda fun to do. It's software that I downloaded from WHO (World Health Organization). It uses their data and their growth charts, which use data from children worldwide, not just the US. American docs tend to use CDC charts, which are based on only American children, so the numbers might be slightly different, but should be close.

Feel free to post some stats here, PM me, or watch out for a new thread from me. What I need is child's birthday (or age, and I'll make one up) and weight if you have a weight-related question, height if you have a height-related question. If you are using numbers from a doctor's visit, make sure you mention when the visit was (approximately) if it's not very recent. If you want to know when a child will reach the RFing height limit, let me know how much room they have left.

Momof4Girls

My dd3 will be 3 2/25. She weighs 25lbs, 26 on a heavy day. She is short (34-35"), lightweight, but has a VERY large head (95%+). She'll be RF far longer than I would have otherwise kept her RF...probably until her head grows large enough to be within an inch of the shell. If her head were proportional to her body, she'd probably weigh about 23lbs and not come close to outgrowing her BLVD by height. She's got about another 1", maybe 1.5", before she's at the 1" mark (1" of shell above her head). I think I will try to install it more upright, buy a little more time. I keep hoping she'll grow into her head...

Raechel

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC