when do you use backless boosters

Suzibeck

My middle dd started riding in a backless booster at age 5, in dh's car. He drove a Bonneville at that time and the stupid built in headrests push a highback forward, which is not allowed. The back of the booster is supposed to be against the back of the seat. I could not fit our HBTB in properly in his car. He drives a different car now, and I need to get another highback booster for her as her ears are nearing the top of the seatback.

Ideally, I would say not to use a backless until the child is too tall for a highback. But, in reality, I do use them. It wasn't too long ago that I was hearing backless were safer because of less head excursion.

ADS

Colleen

She can easily learn to loosen the harness first, buckle herself & then you just reach back to check the harness after she tightens it again :)

I never thought of having her loosen the harness first. Can they properly retighten it in a Regent? I would think that they couldn't get it supertight if was tightening on them? Does this make sence? Maybe, I just pull my harnesses too tight and dont think the girls could get them as tight as I do if they are in the seat. Because dont you have pull the harness in a downward direction to tighten it? How could theyt do that if they in the seat as it tightens them to the back of the seat. It would be great if they could do it by themselves, but I still cant see how. Help!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
that would mean my child should be in a booster as he can buckle that. He can't buckle his Husky so out the door it goes...

Jenn

No, not really, no one really expects kids to be able to buckle themselves into harnesses... you'd have to take the slippery slope and insist a newborn buckle themselves into a snugride, then, right? But "boosters are for big kids" who should be reasonably expected to buckle a single loose seatbelt over them.

:)

jennsmile

No, not really, no one really expects kids to be able to buckle themselves into harnesses... you'd have to take the slippery slope and insist a newborn buckle themselves into a snugride, then, right? But "boosters are for big kids" who should be reasonably expected to buckle a single loose seatbelt over them.

:)

I know I was being sarcastic. But I am sure some parents would rather have a child in a booster which they can buckle vs the Husky that they can't. It is more convient to have ds in his booster, he can get in and out with out my help. But we know he is safer in his Husky.

Jenn

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
J. could buckle herself in very easily after loosening & could get the harness *almost* tight enough -- I just reached back to finish the last yank & we were good to go....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC