When did you turn FF'ing?

When did you turn your LO to the FF'ing position?

• He/she reached the height maximum for the convertible seat.

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • He/she reached the weight maximum for the convertible seat.

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • He/she was the minimum 1 year and 20 lbs.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • Other??

Votes: 37 36.6%

• Total voters

Caseylaine

2 years, but I should have kept him RF'ing for longer. He was getting close to 30lbs... or so I thought, turned out it took another year before he gained those last 3lbs.

Next time we'll wait longer.

ADS

Adventuredad

Other. Turned my son at 4 which was earlier than desired but he was very tall. My daughter is now 2.5 and of course rf. Think she will make it until 5 rf. (Using Swedish 55 lbs rf seats)

katiesmommy

We turned part time upon moving here, so just after 2 years. She flipped back and forth until recently when she hit her weight limit, now she's full time forward facing.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
9 months. :( I flipped him in the parking lot of the Dr's office, as he'd just had his checkup and he was over 30lbs naked. That was only 2006, but we had no new 35lb seats available in Canada then (we had older, unexpired 35lb seats, but I didn't have access to one.)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
We turned DS FF a week before his first birthday. I think he was barely 20 lbs. His seat had a 22 lb. RF limit, so he was approaching the limit, but even if it had had a higher limit I'm sure we would have turned him. We just didn't know any better. :eek: The 1yr/20lb rule was practically ERF at that time (spring 2002).

DD turned 3 in November and has never ridden FF. She's 30.5 lbs. and will stay RF until she hits 33 lbs. If she continues to follow her brother's growth patterns, that may not be until she turns 4.

Mom2Jack

DS (18 months, ~24 lbs, no clue on height but still plenty of room) is still RF in both cars for now, however I will be turning him in DH's car probably in April. :(

I can't fit 2 RF car seats in his car (trust me, I've tried) and want to get the infant seat installed while I can still climb into the backseat of his sports car. I hate that I am turning him so soon, but since he has ridden in that car exactly twice in the last 6 months I have decided that I can live with that.

He will stay RF in my car until he hits the limits of his seat since I can fit both seats RF in my car once I put his MA more upright.

Seth was 18m & 33lbs, so at the weight max for FPSVD.

My girls are currently in Sceneras & will hopefully soon be in RNs & will RF till 35lbs which I think they'll make it to 2-3 RF. I sure hope they do.

MySillyKids

DS1: 12 months.
DS2: 12 months- for medical reasons
DD: she's under 20lbs, so she's still RF, she'll be RF til probably 2. (unless she's not 20lbs at 2)

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I turned both of my kids when they outgrew their seats by WEIGHT - they still hadn't outgrown them by height at that point, and they were both between 31 and 34 months old when I turned them.

serabi

My 2.5 yo was flipped FFing last fall for medical reasons, stayed that way about 6 weeks, and is now RFing again. We are starting to have problems with a combination of leg length and no torso (she's 33-34" tall I think and still on the bottom slots of the Marathon torso wise...all leg) so we're going to move her to our AO RFing to hopefully increase leg room, but if she's still fighting me after her 3rd birthday on getting in the seat, I'll probably flip her at least temporarily when #3 arrives. Hopefully the AO will stop the meltdowns though. She's got some tone issues so I think the Marathon's lack of space annoys her.

My 1 year old is still rear facing at 21lbs and will stay that way until he reaches the limits of the seat either in height or weight, but he's much more normal proportions ;) I think he'll make it to about 2.5 or 3.

abacus2

15 months with DD1 when I got tether anchors installed. (Before I found this board)

28 months and 25lbs in the secondary 2 door car for DD2, still RFing in main car at 27lbs & several inches above her head in the Decathlon.

Freedom_Pixie

I turned DS when he turned a year old. I can't remember how much he weighed though. I didn't know about ERF otherwise I would have kept him Rfing. He was riding in an Evenflo Discovery (which got recalled, for some reason) so we switched him to the Cosco Scenera. I will ERF with our next child though. I want to switch DS back to rfing but DH said that DS got used to FFing and that is the way he stays. I am so thankful for this site and the information given, I honestly never knew about ERF until recently.

all together ooky

Gwen was 3y2m I think when she maxed out the weight limit in the Scenera (35lbs).

Nora is 10m and (I'm guessing) 23lbs? still RFing of course.

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
I put other.

Kira was about 15 months old. Don't remember what she weighed at the time, but she was 21 lbs at 9 months, so I know she was well over 20 lbs, but nowhere near 33 lbs.

Leah is 21 months and still RFing. She only weighs 25 lbs and is still on the bottom harness slots, although I think it's time to move them up. I'd like to think I will keep her RFing until the weight limits of the seat (33 lb MA or 35 lbs TF), but it depends on quickly she gains weight.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
DD1 was over 2 before she was turned for good. She turned if dh was in the car after 18 months b/c we had a tiny car. She was in a ra.

DS1 was 18+ when he outgrew the ra. He outgrew by weight if I remember. It has been 5 years, my memory is going.

DS2 made it just a little past 2yr. He outgrew the scerena by height and bv by weight at the same time.

DD2 is currently rf in a scerena but will be moving to the bv when I buy ds2 a new seat next month.

twom

DD turned at 7 months when she reached the 20 pound RF weight limit on her convertible seat in 1998. I think it was called the Evenflo Scout. At least I knew to get a 5-point harness rather than OHS.

DS turned at 12.5 months when he reached the 30 pound weight limit on his Century Accel in 2001. I was really worried we wouldn't even make it to a year, and it was really close. I wish I'd known to get a 35 pound RF seat. I thought I'd done so well getting a 30 pound limit and what I thought was a tall shell. As it was he went into a Super Elite when he was about 19 months old because he outgrew the Accel (old version of Comfort Sport) by height. Thank goodness for higher weight harnessed seats!

o_mom

Clicky box.

DS1 was 22 lbs and probably about 15 months - before I really got it.

DS2 was 3 yrs, 3 months. He was only 30 lbs and had several inches above his head, so I could have gone a few months more, but needed to fit things differently in the van. He was FF in DH's car in the center w/SCA from about 2.5 yrs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC