Question Whats the harness slots height for the Diono Radian?

Midwife@heart

I'm asking for a fb friend. Also, what slim carseats can she fit three across in a 2002 Santa Fe?

Rearfacing 19 month old
6 year old, about 50-55 lbs. She wants to keep harnessed.
8 year old, about 50-55 lbs. she wants to keep harnessed but I told her he might do good in a highback booster.

ADS

D&L's-mommy

since we don't know the kids' height or torso length, this is what I would recommend for "typical" kids
-the radian is a good choice for the baby, it's slim, so good for 3 across, and will allow erf. get an angle adjustor to allow more room for the front seat riders
-for the older 2 I wouldn't get a radian. Most 8 year olds will have outgrown the harness by height, the highest slot is 17.5", and the 6 year old is probably close to outgrowing it too. Diono does allow you to go over the the top slot ff, but because the shell must come to the top of the ears or higher, most kids won't go much above the top slot.
-Most 8 year olds don't need a harness,at that age a harness isn't any safer than a properly fitting booster. I would suggest a recaro vivo, my son's fits very well in 3 across in my bff's santa fe (we had snugride 32, vivo, and safety 1st air protect booster). the graco turbobooster is narrow too, but I would say vivo is hands down winner for us.
-for the 6 year old, you may want to consider a booster too. Most 6 year olds are mature enough to sit properly in a booster. If your friend really wants to keep this child harnessed your best bet is a britax frontier, it has the tallest harness slots, and can make a good booster once the harness is outgrown. You guessing should be fine putting a radian, vivo, and frontier in a santa fe, especially if you do belt installs (allow you to put the seats closer to the doors). I will say, that it can be difficult buckling boosters in a 3 across, but eventually the older kids will outgrow a harness and have to use a booster, so it's doable.

firemomof3

For the 8y/o I would actually recommend the Britax Parkway because it is taller then the Vivo and you can remove the back portion to make it a backless when the child is ready. And the 6y/o could also use the Parkway since it has the SG clip. If she wants the 6y/o to remain harnessed then have her look at the Evenflo Maestro or Securekid since it is more 3 across friendly vs. the Frontier.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC