What's so great about Foonf? Deciding on convertible... (Moved from Shopping forum)

KatieGrace

I'm looking at a convertible car seat for my son. My DD is 4 and 45 lbs and is getting ready to move to a Britax Frontier 85. I want something that will last until DS can also be in a Frontier, but also something that doesn't tend to take up a lot of room (like Diono is known to do). I have decided that I don't want a Diono. So far, my two top choices are Britax G3 Marathon and a Graco Head Wise. Then I saw the Foonf. And then I saw the price tag! lol Are there some things about this seat that make it amazing? Are there some really nice features compared to the others?? I've heard it rear faces up to 50 lbs, but does it take up a lot of space?? My son is 11 months and 19 lbs and his seat will be behind passenger seat in our 2012 CR-V. I need to have enough leg room for passengers so I"m a little worried about the Foonf being too tall? I basically know nothing about this seat. So, tell me about them! What's so great about Foonf??? :)

ADS

gsdguenter

I use the angle adjuster with my Radians and its amazing how little room they take up! Just throwing that out there.

I think the Foonf is cool and all, but wicked expensive and tall and doesn't last that much longer.

KatieGrace

Re: What's so great about Foonf? Deciding on convertible...

I use the angle adjuster with my Radians and its amazing how little room they take up! Just throwing that out there.

I think the Foonf is cool and all, but wicked expensive and tall and doesn't last that much longer.

Do any of the current Diono's having the same issues that the Radians used to have with the harnesses loosening while the kids were in their seats? I remember all those issues with it a while back, and heard the company wasn't really wanting to acknowledge the problem, so It's made me shy away from them a bit, to be honest. :eek: Is the angle adjuster something new? It's been a couple of years since I've really looked into them. Maybe I will research them again..

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Much of the cost of the Foonf is due to the advanced FF technology that makes it safer FF, it's manufactured in Canada, and not as huge a market share as other seats.

For RF, Foonf has a nice tall shell, ARB, and can be used up to 50# in the USA (40# in Canada). There is a 43" RF height limit. The ARB can only be used in position 2 and 3 recline in the USA (Canada anyone know?) and not in the most upright position. It does sit up high which some people/kids like and some don't.

Someone correct me if I screwed up on Foonf specs...I've had a hectic day at work and brain isn't at full capacity...

If you like the Marathon, check out the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio convertible. I went from a Marathon to it and I prefer the Peg. Easier to adjust the harness (and the Britax was decent), and more leg room (some due to ARB on Canadian seats). For us, it also gives more room to the outboard adult because of its shape.

Last edited:

Belle's Mamma

Re: What's so great about Foonf? Deciding on convertible...

It seems like a 43" RF height limit is REALLY short for a CS that RFs to 50lbs. DD's 42" but only 38lbs.

whiteyacht

It seems like a 43" RF height limit is REALLY short for a CS that RFs to 50lbs. DD's 42" but only 38lbs.

My string bean 4.5 yo is right at 43" and only 37 lbs! The weight limit does seem high, but he has friends who are shorter than him but weigh almost twice as much. It's just frustrating that so many seats are now going with a standing height limit instead of the 1" rule.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
For RF, Foonf has a nice tall shell, ARB, and can be used up to 50# in the USA (40# in Canada). There is a 43" RF height limit. The ARB can only be used in position 2 and 3 recline in the USA (Canada anyone know?) and not in the most upright position. It does sit up high which some people/kids like and some don't.

Yup - same in Canada, Clek clarified that after it was released, which is great. Not sure if it's shown up in their manual yet or not though.

It's got a 1" shorter standing height than the Radian, but 1" more of seated torso height -- according to me with a measuring tape, anyway. How a particular child might fit in one versus the other will vary, but a kid might have a tad longer by height in the Foonf if they're long in the torso, but more time in a Radian if they're more evenly proportioned.

Ozella21

I found out why the standing limit, it has to due with the size/height of the crash test dummy. I wish they would just get a taller dummy, one that would fit the one inch rule and go from there.

coastgirl2

Can anyone say anything more please about "what's so great about the Foonf?" Is it just the latest trend; is it the Bugaboo of car seats? Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC