What would you fly with, Marathon or Uptown?

obnurse19

I am taking a 5, 3, and 7 month old to Florida next month. I don't know which seat to take for my 7 month old on the plane. She currently sits full time in a Marathon. I also have an Uptown in Dh car, and my mom has a Scenera. Which seat is easier to use rf'ing on the plane? I assume that the Uptown is much easier to carry through the airport etc, but what about factoring in the car install once we get there? NOTHING compares to the ease of a Marathon.
When we installed the Uptown in DH car, it was tough. I had to use a 3 noodle tower and a locking clip to keep from tipping. In the rental car though, we will be using latch. Is it much easier with that seat with latch? Would I need pool noodles for a rf'ing install in a captain chair of a minivan? (DH has a trailblazer with those AWEFUL tilted seats) We will be traveling with my mom so there will be 3 adults, and we are bringing a Radian with backpack straps..so not carrying another larget seat in our hands. The 5 1/2 year old will be using a booster that my Aunt is purchasing for her.
Thanks!

ADS

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would take the uptown. Have your mom pick up a pool noodle for just in case. I have never used noodles with our scerena (2 minivan, many pickups and subruban). It is more upright.

niccig

Uptown. It's our travel seat.

Install.
Pack a thin towel in your suitcase outer pocket, roll it like a burrito and use that in the seat bight to get the recline.

Latch/seatbelt installs with the Uptown are easiest when you pull the cover off the seat so you can see the RF belt path, you connect latch then tuck the tail of the latch belt back through the belt path. You're hand holding the end of the latch belt will be in the middle of the seat, where your DC's bottom would be. Then you pull the latch belt tight. Same with the seat belt. Connect the seat belt, then hold onto the seat belt in the middle of the rearfacing belt path and pull it tight.

Go practice a few times before your trip. It's the best travel seat, as it's so light. Just practice the install a few times, so you won't be flustered in the rental car parking lot. I've use the Uptown in lots of cars both RF and FF. Sometimes I didn't need the towel for the recline.

Oh getting through teh airport - we put the Uptown on DS's stroller (an Inglesina Trip) and we put a bungee cord through the FF belt path and attach it to the stroller. DS rides in the car seat.

natysr

I guess I'm a glutten for punishment, because I actually love flying with my Marathon. I own an uptown. I bought it to use in MIL's car when they were in town last year. It's been in my garage ever since. It really never even crossed my mind to fly with it. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC