What is the best option?

SPJ&E

I'm thinking ahead here, so no rush to figure anything out. My plan was to buy my second son (due in April) a Marathon when he outgrows his Snugride2. My older son will be about 2 years old (give or take a few months) and in a Marathon as well. I will most likely turn my older son forward-facing when I move his brother to a Marathon, but I'm not positive.

I've been thinking more lately and am thinking it may be better to buy my older son a Husky/Regent (if that would even fit in my car) next year and put the baby in the Marathon. Then, much later, move my older son into a good booster and the baby into the Husky/Regent.

What do you think?

ADS
U

Unregistered

I don't know, he'll probably be swallowed up by a Husky at 2 yrs. I think for someone that young a seat that offers some recline and sides to snooze on is best. If you DID get a Husky/Regent then you couldn't pass it on to the younger child as he could still be using it at 7ys and it will be expired.
If you kept them both in a Marathon you could get a Regent in 3-4 years and then each child would get to use it. ?? Its not easy to figure all this out is it :)
C.

Tara

Yeah, I too am thinking the Regent is a bit excessive for your eldest at this point. And, by the time he was out of the Regent..#1, it'd be expired, couldn't pass it down and #2, he wouldn't fit a booster anyway (if he was harnessed as long as a Regent would allow..that weight limit is nearly what any BPB has)

I'd just stick with the MAs til the need actually arises that one must move on :)

U

Unregistered

I think it will bepend how big he is. At 2.5 my DS is big enough for the husky and fits it perfect. At 2 he would of still fit but been not quite as perfect, but still a good fit.

Id just wait until its closer to then. If baby is due in april you will probably get until about december in the snugride2.

Is/was he a small baby? And how big is he now?

My DS was just huge overall, was out of a seat like the snugride2 at 7m. Ive seen it where 14mo can fit in the snugride2 though. It will all depend on their growth patterns.

If he is a small child he may not be big enough for husky until he is 3-4, or even later.

SPJ&E

My son was 7 lbs. 5.5 oz. and 20.5 inches at birth and is now about 23-24 lbs. and 31-32 inches at 14 months. He's definitely not "small", but he's not HUGE. I guess he's about average???

When I bought the new Snugride for the baby, my son was 11 months old. At the time he was just over 22 lbs. and I put him in the Snugride just to see if he would still fit. He fit fine height wise, but was just over the weight limit. So I am hoping to get at least 10 months out of it with this baby.

I'll probably just go with buying a 2nd Marathon. That was the original plan and it will allow both of them to be harnessed for a good while. Plus, with my small car, a Husky/Regent may not even fit!

shashoo

I tried the baby I nanny for out in her new sister's Husky, she is 1 year, 30 inches, 22lbs. She had about an inch of growth before she was even with the bottom slots. The seat wouldn't give her any sleep support and it was huge in her, but if I were going to ff the MA anyway, I would probably look to see how he fits in it at 2 becasue it is cheaper than another MA.

U

Unregistered

Yeah I think you should leave it as an option but wait until its about that time to decide.
My DS was 7lbs 12oz 20" at birth, he was 23lbs 32" at a 12m, he was 33lbs 38.5" at 30m and fits perfect in the husky.
He only has .5" until he is outgrown his marathon, which is why we got the husky(he does seem to have an unusually long torso for his age at 15.5-16").
He outgrew his snugride(20lbs 26") 3 days before 3 months, and that was the 'no longer 1" above the head' rule, then he outgrew his designer 22 at 7.5m again with the 'no longer 1" above the head rule'. Before 29m he was already using the second from top slots on his marathon for rearfacing and outgrew it weightwise, so we turned him forwardfacing and he was already needing the top slots.
So I definitely say just wait until its that time.

And I have the husky in an '03 corolla, which is a small car. I have it outboard and can put an infant, convertible, or FF seat in the other outboard position just fine.

SPJ&E

I was planning on waiting until that time to buy one anyway, I was just thinking about it and wanted to get some opinions. Thanks for your input everyone!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC