Question What is Geico's policy for replacing unoccupied boosters?

agave

DH was rear ended today with 2 empty boosters. He was car 2 in a 4 car chain. He didn't mention the boosters to the insurance company because they where empty. One of them was also in a minor deer hit so I'm ready to replace them he doesn't think we should worry about it.

ADS

Dillipop

I don't know what Geico's policy is but I wanted to say it likely depends on the state. For example- CA requires insurance to replace occupied seats but not unoccupied ones- though some insurance companies replace all seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What do your booster manuals say about replacement after a crash?

Regardless then of what Geico says, they would need or not need to be replaced.

Wendy

agave

When he hit the deer I called Recaro and they wouldn't give me an answer they said to call my insurance company and ask them. I will have to fight me the manual for the Combi Kobuk. I hope Combi has a more decisive answer.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Probooster:
• If the child restraint was in the vehicle unoccupied during a crash and
no airbags were deployed, it does not need to be replaced.

Kobuk:
DO NOT allow any re-use of this car seat after a crash unless crash and car seat meet ALL conditions in “Re-use After A Crash” section of this manual. Do not sell or allow others to use a car seat that has been in a crash and it does not comply with ALL of these conditions.
Car seats are damaged in vehicle crashes and in many cases, the car seat must be destroyed and replaced. However, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) advises that if a child restraint (car seat) has been used in a minor crash that the child restraint can continue to be used with your child.
For information on car seat re-use after a crash, check the NHTSA website at:
www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps, select “Child Restraint Re-use After Minor Crashes” and then “NHTSA Position”.

Wendy

agave

Thanks! I'm pretty sure the older Probooster manual is not that specific. Unsure if it would be considered minor or not I haven't seen the car yet.

Does the airbag rule mean just for your car or any car in the collision?

The he had an SUV pushed into him by a pickup and he barely bumped the trailer hitch of the truck in front. The driver in front left because he had no damage. The guy in back that started the chain kept trying to leave before the police arrived and Geico suspects their insurance was not valid. [emoji35]

agave

Probooster:

Kobuk:

Wendy
By that criteria the Probooster is technically still good, DH and both kids love that seat.

I don't think it qualifies as a minor accident since DH is sore in places he is normally not sore. He has chronic back problems so it's a fuzzy line. The Kobuk is the one I want to replace anyway and no one will be sad to see it go.

I need high back that will work in a 2012 or 13 Mustang. My MIL is moving here very soon and we will need super user friendly seats for her car. I have the $13 backless for my almost 8 year in her car and will probably get another for her in the Subaru.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A Mustang is tough, the backseats are so bucketed.

I'd try the Harmony Dreamtime. Maybe the Evenflo Big Kid.

Wendy

tribord

When I was in an accident earlier this year Geico told me they would not replace my carseat because it was unoccupied. I had to push them to do it, including faxing them the part of the manual that showed the seat was required to be replaced.

I did not ask them to replace my booster (only my harnessed seat), however, because it was also unoccupied and the manual said it didn't require replacement.

So I would expect some pushback on replacing unoccupied boosters. Good luck!

agave

DH still hasn't mentioned anything to the insurance company, they are still trying to determine if the at fault driver is insured. The Kobuk is getting replaced even if they don't cover it or DH continues to "forget" to tell them about it.

agave

S far two adjusters from two insurance companies have come to look at the car DH has neglected to mention the boosters to either.
MIL was going to take DD1 to the grocery store Sunday in her car and DH and I where talking about putting a booster in her car when MIL asked if she needed one in the front seat! DH and I said yes at the same time and told her she was riding in the back, he got a few points back for that one.

She ended up taking my van and both kids, it's time for me to start shopping for boosters again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC