What do you think this carseat law means?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
(2) one or more years of age but less than five years of age who weighs 20 pounds or more shall be properly secured in a child restraint device that meets or exceeds the standards of the United States Department of Transportation and is used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions;
(3) over four years of age but less than eight years of age who is less than 57 inches in height and weighs 20 or more pounds but less than 65 pounds shall be properly secured in a booster seat that is secured by a seat belt system or by another child passenger restraint system that meets or exceeds the standards of the United States Department of Transportation and is used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions;

ADS

Qarin

Sounds like you actually need to be 5 to use a booster (with no minimum weight), and either 57" tall, 8 years old, or 65 pounds to not use anything, and that it doesn't imply that you *can't* rear face past 12 months old, nor that you MUST booster rather than use a harness past 4 years old.

Is that your question?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Just debating w/ a friend what it means. This is her state law, not mine, and I was trying to clarify for them but dad is reading it differently. IMO he's doing so so he doesn't have to buy a new seat. :( I read it as child needed to use a harness till 5 as well. Thanks. Child in question is almost 3 and about to outgrow seat height wise and there are few choices where parents are. Tech and State Trooper in the area have told them it's o.k to use a booster at 3 b/c the box says so.

pj2rc

I don't know... The 1-4 yrs must be in an approved restraint.... I think booster technically qualifies

Qarin

I would argue that the calling out of "booster seat" in (3) would mean that NOT specifying "booster seat" in (2) means that a booster would not be acceptable.

I also suspect that if I were attempting to argue that in court in that state that I would lose. So.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I suspect the intent was to harness until age 5, but the actual words do not justify that. A booster seat IS a child restraint device.

kalamos23

But you could argue that a booster is not a restraint, but a seat belt positioner...so technically they need to be harnessed until age 5.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

pj2rc

While I would like to agree :) my best example would be PA law, where I am. A long time ago we looked it over once on a thread here. The way it was written, it did state that restraints included boosters, and acceptable restraints were required to age 4 and 40... Actually it may have been or 40. Anyway, once 4 and 40, booster seats are the only acceptable seat... Not approved restraints. Therefore, I am actually breaking the law by having my 4 ye old who is over 40#, In a harness even though she still complies with the manufacture guidelines..... Under 4, an approved restraint, which a booster is; over 4, booster

Edit;
: I crossposted with a few of you :)

kalamos23

chickabiddy said:
FMVSS213 (the standard) classifies a booster as a child restraint system.

Really? Wow, that is kind of odd seeing as the actual booster does no restraining.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I agree with chickabiddy. I think they may have been GOING for harnessed until 5, but because FMVSS does in fact consider a booster to be a child restraint device, I think a child who meets the requirements for any specific given booster can in fact use one starting at age 1 and 20 lbs.

Cognito*

Probably because the second part was an ammendment to the original law.

That's what OH did. They tacked the "booster law" on later.
OH law has a place where it defines "child restraint" & includes boosters in that definition. Some people read it as 4&40 to booster, but we're actually a "proper use" state.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC