What do you do if they do this while FF?

mamahen

What do you do if their head lobs around when they're ff? My youngest DS is almost 4 And I was planning to ff him on his birthday. But this weekend we had to ride in grandpas truck and it was easier to get the seats in ff so I flipped it for a couple days and when he fell asleep Ymir was this-

He has Down syndrome and theoretically low tone, although his isn't too bad, and sleep apnea. I guess I will probably just leave him rf since he's still got 10 more lbs to go in the radian but it was just starting to get hard to get him in and out. What do you think?
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, they usually just deal with it. For most kids it's not dangerous. Some seats cause it more than others. In his case you'd want to be careful about seat selection probably.

Since you mention DS, though, has atlantoaxial instability been ruled out? If not, I'd encourage getting it ruled out before considering forward facing. :)

mamahen

Well, they usually just deal with it. For most kids it's not dangerous. Some seats cause it more than others. In his case you'd want to be careful about seat selection probably.

Since you mention DS, though, has atlantoaxial instability been ruled out? If not, I'd encourage getting it ruled out before considering forward facing. :)

AI hasn't been ruled out yet because they quit screening for it and only check now unless there are symptoms. I think I'll just leave him rf longer and suck it up. It'll be a while before he needs a different seat.
Posted via Mobile Device

AllieK

My son is the same. He'll be 4 at the end of this year but he's 45lbs & 44" so we don't own a seat he can RF in. When he falls asleep his chin rests on the chest clip! I've tried sitting in back so I can push his head back up but it inevitably falls back down. I hate it on longer road trips and feel so bad for him, it just looks terribly uncomfortable.

I will say we don't have that problem in the Graco MySize because it's pretty reclined when it's FF. Maybe you can try a different seat?

rin2809

Not sure if you are up for a new seat, but if you are really hoping to FF, the MyRide seats are really reasonable right now (around $100) and have an awesome FF recline. I was so sad ours expired and we opted to replace it with a seat that doesn't recline as nicely. We never once had an issue with head slump in the MyRide.

I know it doesn't have the highest harness slots, so if your kiddo is tall, that may eventually be an issue and you would still need to deal down the road, but this may be a good stopgap.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC