What do we think of a Subaru Impreza?

brightredmtn

I'm soooooo not the sporty type that would normally drive a Subaru. In fact I always made fun of my ski instructor parent's Subarus. BUT now I have a kid and the Impreza is just rated so well in safety.

I've gotten one really good quote from a dealership and I'm doing some more pricing research but wanted to check here first about any car seat issues with one. Anyone, anyone?

ADS

southpawboston

i just LOVE the new impreza. it's sporty, well built, and looks great. the only thing i don't like about the subies is the rather sub-par fuel efficiency. they could do better. but they do rate at the top of the charts for safety. it does seem that subies are generally not carseat friendly (but that wouldn't stop ME from buying one ;) ).

brightredmtn

i just LOVE the new impreza. it's sporty, well built, and looks great. the only thing i don't like about the subies is the rather sub-par fuel efficiency. they could do better. but they do rate at the top of the charts for safety. it does seem that subies are generally not carseat friendly (but that wouldn't stop ME from buying one ;) ).

SBP - I'm going to owe you some chocolates or something when this is all over! I should just buy a Mazda since you have one and be done with it. - Hey I just made the connection, you're from Boston and know everything about cars... Are you Tom or Ray Magliozzi.

dimsumdaddy

I love my Impreza WRX wagon. It's my commuter, kid hauler, practical fun midlife crisis car all rolled into one.

- great safety ratings
- excellent reliability
- great for foul weather
- fun to drive
- so so on mpg

The NEW 08 Impreza has more leg room in the rear (due to the new multilink suspension geometry... but this isn't NASIOC). So if you are thinking of an Impreza, go for an 08 or newer.

mimieliza

I think the '08 Impreza looks awesome. And if their ads are to be believed, it's an IIHS Top Pick for safety.

I'm sure it has a small backseat, though. I would try out a RFing carseat when you test drive.

JerseyGirl'sMama

We had an '04 Subie STi...

It was 'our baby'....

before our baby. :love:

LOVED it!!! But it was horrible riding around in it with our DD. We got rid of it when she was two weeks old.

southpawboston

SBP - I'm going to owe you some chocolates or something when this is all over!

PM me for my address, lol...

Hey I just made the connection, you're from Boston and know everything about cars... Are you Tom or Ray Magliozzi.

no, but i met ray!!! i work just a couple of blocks from their shop, "good news garage", in "our fair city" of cambridge. i brought my old audi to them once about 6 years ago when i couldn't figure out a problem. i asked the mechanic when ray was going to be in and i made a point of coming back to meet him. :love: apparently tom doesn't do much in the day to day running of the shop.

I'm sure it has a small backseat, though. I would try out a RFing carseat when you test drive.

this is most likely correct. i compared the specs pretty closely between the new 08 impreza and my car, and interestingly, even though the exterior dimensions are almost identical, the impreza has a significantly smaller back seat area (headroom and legroom) than my car. they used the space to make the front seat room and trunk greater. so, for identical exterior dimensions, subaru chose to skimp on back seat room in favor of front seat and trunk room. i would seriously test any carseat in it, as britaxes and recaros just barely fit comfortably in my car.

brightredmtn

PM me for my address, lol...

I definitely will! I give good chocolates as gifts!

no, but i met ray!!!

And you are an engineer too right? Too many coincidences, I'm not sold that you aren't one of them. I just did their car selector tool on the Car Talk website and it told me to buy the Hyundai Sonata.

they used the space to make the front seat room and trunk greater.

Ah, the same issue with the 99-05 Jettas.

sfeitler

Do try the carseat out in all 3 positions, if you can. A friend has a Subaru WRX and the middle of the back seat is impossible for car seats... which might be ok for you, but better to find out before you pay. :)

-Sarah

dimsumdaddy

OH...and another thing... how tall are you?

The amount of room in the back seat is highly affected by how far the front seats are pushed back. I'm 6' tall and I have to push the driver chair all the way back. I don't recline a lot (no gangsta slouch for me). The result is RF seats tend to touch the back of my chair, and FF behind me doesn't give the kid much leg room.

twokidstwodogs

it does seem that subies are generally not carseat friendly (but that wouldn't stop ME from buying one ;) ).

Actually, they are just fine in everything except center installs. I've never had a problem getting any seat outboard in either of the Subarus I've owned. Also, they have that nifty 60 lb LATCH limit.

SillyLily

Sorry, I know this thread is a few days old, but I just wanted to add a little.

I had a 2002 Subaru WRX sedan that I loved. I had a Evenflo Triumph (the older, shorter one) that fit just fine in it behind the passenger's seat. The front seat had to be scooted forward a tiny bit, but not much. I also had an infant seat that I used in it occasionally (can't remember what it was), and it fit just fine in the center without either of the front seats having to be adjusted. I don't know if a BLVD/MA would fit at the 45 degree angle (I doubt it), but I'm sure it would if it were installed a little more upright. I never had any problems getting nice, solid installs with any car seats in it. I actually have more problems getting solid installs in my Audi A6 than I ever did with the Subaru.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC