What are your complaints/issues with your Frontier?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Well. It's a PITA to install in our vehicles, but aside from that ...*I* loved the frontier.
However Kate, the child who was supposed to SIT in the frontier? HATED it. Like.. HATED it with a fiery passion. REFUSED to sit in it. Claimed it hurt her back, her butt, etc. This is a child who has sat in the cheapest, least luxury seats on the market. An old crappysport, an institutional chase, a low end turbo. And yet? The frontier? The seat i saved for for a YEAR?? The nicely padded super expensive seat? HATED it. She loves her nauti though, it was her primary seat from age 3.5-6.

So..just check with the kid ;)

ADS

NannyMom

Just started using it today, but so far my only complaint is that it seems hard to tighten. I am wondering if I didn't something wrong installing and something is caught somewhere. At this point I am worried I will like it so much that I will want to find a way to replace the FN80 with another FN85.
I think it's really easy to tighten. I'd been using the True Fit, which isn't hard for me, but hard for others (like DH with a bad arm). But the Frontier seems super easy so far.

I had a really hard time installing it in my Sienna. There was/is a big gap behind the seat, it's pretty reclined, and I had a hard time not having too much of the boot thing hanging over the seat. Also, the belly pad kept coming off, so I just removed it for good. The straps can be a bit twisty, and the harness can be hard to tighten. (apparently I've been spoiled by my Multi Techs :p)

It installed really easy with LATCH outboard in my Sienna. I didn't try seatbelt. center was a little harder with latch, and had to use LBP with seatbelt.

tracee877

Overall I really like it, but it does have some minor annoyances for me. It's hard to tighten the harness when installed. I checked everything to see what could be causing it but never found anything. I think it's just the way the back of it hits the vehicle seat. It also sits so far away from the back of the seat that DS didn't have much leg room and I drive an SUV. I also don't like that you have to use the recline block in harness mode. It makes a huge gap between the seat and vehicle seat, which I don't think is a safety issue but annoying none the less lol. Also since it really has no sides my DS can move his legs over and try to kick his brother.:rolleyes: Most of these things are mainly due to the fact my DS is very young and will probably improve as he gets older.

BeautifulChaos

Just started using it today, but so far my only complaint is that it seems hard to tighten. I am wondering if I didn't something wrong installing and something is caught somewhere. At this point I am worried I will like it so much that I will want to find a way to replace the FN80 with another FN85.

Do you have the sheild on the back? If not, and you are installing with the LBP, sometimes it can make the harness harder to tighten. The sheild is supposed to prevent that interferance.

2BunniesMommy

Do you have the sheild on the back? If not, and you are installing with the LBP, sometimes it can make the harness harder to tighten. The sheild is supposed to prevent that interferance.

I do have it on, it was off when I got the seat and I am 99% sure I got it snapped in where it is supposed to be. It is installed with LATCH.

glockchick

It's my favorite FFing seat. My only grip is that it's so wide. Of course that wouldn't be an issue if I didn't have so many dang kids. ;)

Spam

The harness height cannot be adjusted without uninstalling. I know in some vehicles it's doable, but not mine. It's wide. I wish you could remove the armrest, in three across it would help with puzzling. Overall I really love our frontier.

Lemonade

It's heavy :)
This. And bulky. But that's why it lasts so long for big kids.

And I have the 80 so the recline flap flips when I take it out but they fixed that on the 85.

I do really like this seat. I supposed it would be nice to have the front adjuster like the BLVD70/MA70 have so it didn't have to be uninstalled or loosened to adjust. But that's not a huge deal. I've had mine for 2.5 yrs and love them.

luckyclov

OK, wait, I actually thought of one.
The plastic cover that goes on the back of the seat, covering the harness/splitter plate, doesn't stay on. Every time I remove the seat, the cover falls off.

Meg

Our biggest complaint (and the reason we switched out the FR for a RN this week) is the black arm rests get extremely hot in the car. Now that it's warmer weather, my son burned his arms a few times by putting his arms on the armrests as soon as we got in the car. I wonder if the armrests wouldn't get as hot if you put them in the up position when you weren't in the car though? We didn't try that, but it's worth a shot if you experience the same issue.

Ducky5306

Meg said:
Our biggest complaint (and the reason we switched out the FR for a RN this week) is the black arm rests get extremely hot in the car. Now that it's warmer weather, my son burned his arms a few times by putting his arms on the armrests as soon as we got in the car. I wonder if the armrests wouldn't get as hot if you put them in the up position when you weren't in the car though? We didn't try that, but it's worth a shot if you experience the same issue.

I live in South Florida and havent had that problem (only had the seat for afew weeks but its just multiple times a day after always being parked in the sun) but maybe I don't have this issue because my windows are pretty dark tinted? It gets HOT in my hot but maybe no direct sunlight helps some?

I will be on the watch for this in the future! I don't want ds getting burned..

Sent from my HTC using Car-Seat.Org

Pepse

We have 3, have installed it in a ford explorer, Honda civic and ford mustang and didn't have any issues at all

Sent from my iPhone

krystin_21a

I wish the arm rest would go up. It would make getting my son in easier when I put him in. Other then that I love the seat as does he.

Since someone mentioned hot arm rest, couldn't you just put thick socks over them until the rider gets in the car??? I would really like to know if this is ok since we will be moving to warmer weather soon. Thanks!

Meg

I live in South Florida and havent had that problem (only had the seat for afew weeks but its just multiple times a day after always being parked in the sun) but maybe I don't have this issue because my windows are pretty dark tinted? It gets HOT in my hot but maybe no direct sunlight helps some?
My car sits in direct sunlight all day (it's been high 80s and 90s) and the windows are untinted. So my car is HOT. I'm sure if you parked in the shade, in the garage, or had tinted windows the problem wouldn't be as severe as it was in my car. ;)

Since someone mentioned hot arm rest, couldn't you just put thick socks over them until the rider gets in the car??? I would really like to know if this is ok since we will be moving to warmer weather soon. Thanks!
:thumbsup:That would probably work just fine or maybe even just tossing a blanket over the seat. We have other seats, so that's why we just swapped it out. If I had to keep to the FR in the car, I probably would have done something like that.

bekah

Thanks for all the replies! I actually bought it and installed it both with latch and LBP in my 2005 Sienna on the back bench with no problems. Ds complained about it the first day but he has issues with change and was tired at the time, I'm sure he will be fine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC