Question What about the First Years B570 for our slim and tall kid?

Athena

I recently read here that the First Years B570 booster is latchable and appears to fit skinny kids well. At $85 on amazon, it may be the right seat for us.

My almost 6yo DD is outgrowing her nautilus harness and I'm not convinced about the nautilus booster fit on her, so I'm looking for something that fits narrower frames better. I've found that there are not many seats that are recommended for skinnies and many of them are relatively short. Plus, I would really prefer it be latchable and have at least one cup holder. The ones that sounded like they'd fit her best are the turbo or cybex, but the turbo is short and doesn't latch and the cybex is too expensive for its limited height and lack of cup holder.

So ... what's wrong with the First Years B570? :) It seems too good to be true for the price. Have others had it fit skinny tall kids well? Thank you!

P.S. I think she's about 48" and 44-45 pounds, but I need to double check when she's not in bed.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Nothing's wrong with it. :) It's a nice seat. But it's not an especially tall booster (on par with Turbo and X-fix), so may not be the best choice for a tall kid.

draftsmith

We have one in my husband's car, my daughter is 42 lbs and 44" and it fits her well. I measured the internal height for another poster and it was 30," which is comparable to the Britax Parkway at 30.5." We really like it and would recommend it.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I haven't tried the B570 yet (I know, it's crazy! It's one of the last on my list, I swear). At first I wasn't feeling the love, but my DD has been riding a lot in our Monterey and I really, really like the belt fit on her. She sleeps in it like a dream, it adjusts crazy tall and LATCHes. Yes, there are belt guide issues, but I'm happy with how it hold up in our T&C captain's chair. The Vivo also has an belt guide height of 21", but doesn't LATCH.

Athena

Thanks to you all for your responses. I had thought the B570 was a bit taller, but 20" is still taller than the 19" of the turbo and xfix. Do I have that right? Plus it latches, is less $ than the x-fix, and has cup holders, so I have not ruled it out yet. :) However, I am not sure it's the one either. Boosters are so much more difficult.

I had thought that Monterey was not particularly good for skinnies (narrow shoulders with tiny waist and tush), but maybe I'm getting mixed up. Isn't there a new version of it too, as well as some of the other boosters? Seriously, how do you all keep track of it all?

Although I have not seen them in person, I like the look of the Recaro boosters, but I really wish they latched. I'm looking for DH's car and I think he'd get very frustrated about having to buckle it in each time it's empty (and probably wouldn't). Honestly, I think I'd get frustrated about having to buckle in the empty booster each time too.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I had thought that Monterey was not particularly good for skinnies (narrow shoulders with tiny waist and tush), but maybe I'm getting mixed up. Isn't there a new version of it too, as well as some of the other boosters? Seriously, how do you all keep track of it all?

Yes, "new" Monterey (like past 2-ish years?) fits skinnies well, but has funky belt guide issues (though now Diono is saying it's OK to not use the belt guide; though *I* don't feel super comfortable with that. And like I said, I don't have an issue). To say that DD is skinny is an absolute understatement (stats in my signature are current now and then; she doesn't gain well or quickly). She's SKINNY (though getting slightly more muscular). Wears 2T shorts/skirts easily; Slims still need the adjustable waist pulled in.

Here's a thread comparing (I don't have a B570, sorry). Monterey is in post #11.

Athena

Here's a thread comparing (I don't have a B570, sorry). Monterey is in post #11.

Thank you!!! Your DD is very cute!

The Monterey does look like an option. It's the new Diono version, right? How tall does the belt guide go? What determines whether someone has an issue with the new belt guide?

I see you also have her shown in the vivo. Am I interpreting correctly that the Monterey fit better than the vivo? (I'm new at this.) And that x-fit in post 1 looks good. If only that booster were taller and had a cup holder.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC