We will be renting a Ford Escape, will it fit 3 across?

tillylyn

We will be in NYC (and beyond) and are renting a Ford Escape. I would love to get some advice on fitting 3 kids in the back seat, if possible. We have a 6 year old, 7 year old and a 3 year old. The seats we have are 2 Frontiers, 1 Marathon, 1 Radian, 2 backless boosters and a ride safe vest (which my kids don't find to be that comfortable because it rides up on them).

I am thinking it will be easiest to bring 2 boosters (the backless ones as much as I prefer my kids to be in a 5 point :confused:) and the radian. (and the vest as another possiblity). I also don't want to lug the huge car seats through the airport with 3 kids and a husband. So, there is that....

What would you do?

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would probably put the Radian in centre, with LATCH, and then the boosters outboard. That way you're not having to worry about the outboard kids unlatching the centre seat, and you have a little extra space on both sides.

I had a Mazda Tribute (same vehicle) and I know my model year allowed centre LATCH so you'll want to double check that, since the rental car will be newer than my Tribute was. But in general, it's actually a really easy car to install in and it's not too bad for 3 across. You'll be just fine. It's actually one of my favourite vehicles for installs, and one of the vehicles I rent the most because I always know what to expect. The only thing I don't like about it is that the tether anchors are in the ceiling and it always catches my eye in the rear-view.

-Nicole.

TheGirls

I rented one awhile back and (BARELY) got three RF convertibles in there (Complete Air, Scenera, TrueFit), so I'm betting a Radian and two boosters would fit fine. It was a pretty easy backseat for carseats, IIRC.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC