very tall for his age

U

Unregistered

I just purchased an evenflo procomfort Lx 65 today. An exclusive from TARGET. I have a 96 jeep grand Cherokee. I'm not sure i made a good choice or not. I hope i can get expert advice! I want to rear face as long as possible with a $160 budget.

Stats:99th percentile
17 months old
32Lbs
35.5 inches

There is so much information about type of vehicle with type of seat belt mechanisms, to latch, to not latch, how to target when he's older and such. Did i make A good choice??

ADS

Cnidaria

There's one more word in the name of your carseat. ProComfort Symphony? ProComfort Triumph? Procomfort is just a name for the "trim level," type of fabric, etc, that they apply to many different carseat models.

1mommy

I'm betting you bought a pro-comfort Triumph. On which case it's a nice seat, but not very long lasting for rear facing, especially for a tall child. If you want a seat to rf for as long as possible around the same budget I would recommend looking at the Graco Headwise (target exclusive) or the MySize (Babies r us) or the Size4me (also known as the Graco Clones on this board). There is also the Graco Contender which is similar but slightly more basic (recline stand instead of base and no harness cover straps) which is sold at Walmart.

nataliem257

If you could swing a bit extra budget in a couple of months, maybe get a Scenera or something super cheap for now (if he still fits), and then get the new 50 lb 49 inch RF budget seat that's coming out in a month or so, it sounds like you're going to need it! I think the price point is supposed to be around $180 I think.

Cnidaria

The Graco "clones" will RF him to a full 40 pounds regardless of how tall he is, and last a long time FFing. The Headwise one that's at Target is more expensive than your budget but the other ones retail at $180. The Contender has the same limits but fewer bells and whistles and is slightly cheaper.

Comparison chart with names and where they're found: https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...57.-2207520000.1424013185.&source=54&refid=13

Review of the Contender, which explains the differences between it and the other clones: http://csftl.org/graco-contender-review/

Cnidaria

Oops, 1Mommy, I didn't see your reply before I wrote mine!

Yes, the new Safety 1st seat would be ideal for a 99th%ile child! But it will take up a lot of space front to back. I don't know how much room the back seat of a Grand Cherokee has.

Announcement about the Safety 1st Advance 65+ or whatever it's called (it's going to have a slightly different name, more letters added): https://m.facebook.com/CarSeatsForTheLittles/posts/656718107782650:0

Review of the seat on which it's based (but the new one will RF to 50 lbs and 49"): http://csftl.org/safety-1st-advance-air-review/

henrietta

Hi and welcome!!!

I agree....I'd go with the Graco Headwise or one of it's clones. It will last your little one much longer rear facing. He's so tall that the Triumph may only get him to age 2, depending on if he carries more of his height in his legs or his torso. Don't get me wrong...we LOVED the Triumph...we love Evenflo! We've had two Triumphs and many other Evenflo seats, but in your case, the Graco Headwise is a better choice for rear facing longer. My guys were shorter than yours! ;)

For the other questions: "There is so much information about type of vehicle with type of seat belt mechanisms, to latch, to not latch, how to target when he's older and such."

Your seatbelts should lock just fine--probably at the latchplate. Easy test...buckle the seatbelt and give the lap belt portion a tug. If it doesn't move, it's locked at the latchplate and you don't need to do anything else special to lock it. Many Chrysler, Jeep, & Dodge vehicles have lightweight locking latchplates on their seatbelts. ;)

Your car won't have latch already installed b/c of it's year, but it may be able to be retrofitted for top tethers when he's forward facing. Most car seats do not use the top tether rear facing (only Britax, Diono, the Combi Cocorro..and one other..no Graco, Evenflo, or Safety First/Cosco). Chrysler retrofits top tethers for free in their vehicles, when the vehicle allows it.

hths

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC